Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Looked through the site and literature but could not find an answer.

Just bought a new truck that sits quite a bit higher than the former. The hitch ball is set up for the old truck and 23CK. I lowered the ball for the new combo today but it could only drop one inch and I suspect it is still too high.

My problem is the trailer is sitting in my driveway, with a bit under-inflated tires and, because the driveway is sloped and the front end is higher than the rear, I can't accurately measure for the correct height. The ball height at the truck is now 21 inches and I seem to recall the trailer hitch height is around 17 or 18 inches. Can someone confirm what the height is for a 23CK, or direct me to where it is stated?

And, if the height should be around 17/18 inches, is the difference (between that and 21 inched) too great to properly tow the trailer, or how much difference can there be while still towing properly? Although I have seen a few trailers being towed down the highway with the trailer way out of level, I prefer the trailer to be as level as possible.

Am leaving for a 1500 mile trip to Denver this Friday, so would like to get this straightened out asap.

Thanks

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

the way i view this is safety. the more level the safer you are. if the trailer is nose up then it is possible that in an emergency breaking situation it could possibly cause the camper to push the back of ur truck up causing more forward force and require your front breaks to work harder and require u to over steer. if the trailer is nose down then is the same situation you could lose control because your front tires may not have 100% contact.

i would suggest getting as close to true level as possible
ageworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

ageworker,

Thanks for your comments, and I agree that being as level as possible is the best way to go.

Because my driveway is sloped, I found it difficult to properly measure the level height of the trailer's hitch.

I finally telephoned Crossroads direct and went through an incredibly convoluted process of speaking to someone who actually knew anything (repeatedly misdirected, given extension number that was invalid etc, etc.). Finally after multiple phone calls, I spoke to someone who, I was told, knew the answer.

When I asked, he advised me the Singshots were way out in the yard so he couldn't measure one to tell me the height. He then checked the CAD drawing and advised me the height was 25 inches. When I questioned this and said I had heard somewhere in the past that the average hitch height was 17 - 18 inches, he then went into the shop to find one. He returned a few minutes later and said he could only find a model that was similar to a Slingshot and measured it. He said the height was about 17 - 18 inches.

Thank God I didn't accept his 25 inch answer!!!

Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote