Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Team

Exclamation RV Unfriendly Places

Free overnight camping is being attacked by local ordinances.

http://roadtreking.com/finding-free-...ernight-in-rv/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the heads up Mark. Being a new RVer I hadn't thought much about this, but we will be taking a cross country tour next summer when our 10 year ld is out of school. Good information.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Good post Mark.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Well we have only ever camped in state, federal and Corps of Engineers campgrounds, never a private one. That is the way I learned camping as a child, it is what my wife and I prefer and "campground owners and their national association have quietly been working behind the scenes to convince local governments to enact anti-RV ordinances that ban overnight camping in anything but a campground" is a good reason to continue that policy. Some of my best childhood memories are the nights we spent in roadside rest areas out west in the 1960's.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Who enforces these ordinances? I can't see a trooper or a police officer kicking me out of a Flying J or a rest stop. Maybe at a Walmart because your in a parking lot. This is ridiculous, we've stayed at Walmart's a few times overnight. To pay an RV park full price to use it for 8 hours is crazy. If I owned an RV park I would make an overflow lot and allow people to sleep the night with no utilities and charge a small fee.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Who enforces these ordinances? I can't see a trooper or a police officer kicking me out of a Flying J or a rest stop. Maybe at a Walmart because your in a parking lot. This is ridiculous, we've stayed at Walmart's a few times overnight. To pay an RV park full price to use it for 8 hours is crazy. If I owned an RV park I would make an overflow lot and allow people to sleep the night with no utilities and charge a small fee.

Oh, I think if the Flying J or Walmart either one called the police and complained, they would have to do just that.
Some rest areas have signs stating no overnight camping, some have time limits.

Yes, some campgrounds do have over flow areas for people.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think campgrounds should have a special section for those who only want basic services and are not interested in all the amenities. For a lot of families, the campground IS the destination and the kids have a great time there. For a lot of us retired folks, all we want is a level, serviced spot with WiFi because we are seeing the sights. Why should we pay for stuff we don't need? If we are just on the move (like going to Florida), we stay at Walmarts overnight.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

It is a shame that the people passing through are hurt by those who park there every night. When I lived in San Diego the homeless RVers would move to the beach in the day time and into the wall mart parking lots at night. If it was just people stopping to rest and get back on the road there would not be these laws. Like they say only a few hurt the rest of us. They have even limited the time in rest stops to 6 hours in some places.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
I think campgrounds should have a special section for those who only want basic services and are not interested in all the amenities. For a lot of families, the campground IS the destination and the kids have a great time there. For a lot of us retired folks, all we want is a level, serviced spot with WiFi because we are seeing the sights. Why should we pay for stuff we don't need? If we are just on the move (like going to Florida), we stay at Walmarts overnight.
And how are they gonna ensure you aren't using the amenities? You may he honest, but let's face it in today's world there are plenty who will park there and sneak into the amenities.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Someone asked who will enforce the no camping ordinances ?!?

The local police will - yes, they make time to patrol there...

Why bother the real burglars when you can evict an 80 year old couple

"People are much more opposed to fur than leather because it's much easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs"