Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
New Camper

Another question from the camping newbie... Our youngest child is 5 months old. Does anyone have experience camping with a baby? What gear would be nice to have, versus what would just be a waste of space? I'm thinking it would be nice to have at least one seat to set him in so he doesn't have to be on the ground or be held the entire time. He doesn't need a high chair yet (but will need one before summer is over!). I also have a mosquito net cover for the pack and play, so we can bring that outside during the day. So far I have:

- pack and play
- mosquito net
- baby carrier
- small infant seat

Is there anything else I'm missing?
Camp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Get a table top/strap onfeeding chair - less to pack around than an ordinary high chair. Camping with small babies or smaller toddlers is okay to do, if you have a rv unit and not a tent, it's just about like home. I know people who stopped camping until their childrenwere3 or 4. Our first one was also 5months and second one was 4 months when we were camping. I liked taking a fold up stroller, the real small fold up ones. If you go for a walk it's nice to have the small stoller then you don't have to pack a carrier and if you use a snugglie, it can get hot. I liked it if the kids feel asleep then you just had to lift the stroller into the rv and let them sleep, they were straped in. Good luck and happy memories. Take lots of pictures for the albums.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Forgot to mention.... The stroller he can sit in while everyone is around the campsite and if he gets fussy, push him back and forth. Dual purpose.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
New Camper

I was undecided about bringing a stroller, but you bring up some great points! Along with the baby, we also have a 2 year old and a 3 year old so it should be an interesting adventure this year!
Camp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Bring along lots of coloring books, crayons, little bug nets, bug containers, games, bubbles.I gave my kids a cheap camera (you can now get a digital at walmart for $20.) they were busy taking pictures and then I helped them make their own album. You can put all this in a rubbermaid tote and then take them out when needed. They can help put it all away. I usually kept the toys and games, etc. just for the trailer and it was a new adventure everytime.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

you might benefit from figuring out where in your trailer to put a baby gate to prevent the 2 an 3 yr old from letting themselves out of the TT while you are sleeping or not looking. My DD was 3 1/2 when we bought our TT, she did let herself out when my back was turned. I caught her as she started to walk down the campground road from our site (literally one site over but still a scare for me). Also, if you are putting the kids in a bunk or on a fold down bed, you will want a side rail. Some people will fold the dinette flat and put the pack and play on that at night. Bring off bug sprayfor the older kids and a citronella candle and tiki torches are nice to help with the bugs. Don't forget the sunscreen for all! You might want to have some dvd's for downtime or rainy times. A portable DVD player is a lifesaver for us during the longer drives. Pack twice as many diapers and pullups/wipes as you think you need. Same goes for the kids clothes (unless campground has a washer/dryer, then you can bring detergent/fabric softener and quarters). Also you might want waterproof sheets forthe kids as well as extra sheets for all. Whatever you do, don't forget their favorite lovey or blanket ... we made that mistake one time and one time only. We almost had to drive the hour and a half home but I was able to get her to calm down and bought her a new stuffed toy at the camp store. It worked but barely. x2 on keeping certain books/toys/games in the TT. I even have a couple of stuffed friends that stay permanently in the TT. Rain boots and ponchos are great to let them just go splash around in mud puddles during a rainy day. Realize that you will be giving the kids baths pretty frequently as they tend to get pretty dirty camping (a dirty kid is a happy camper!) Have fun.

Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote