Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
New Camper

Solar panels and inverters

I am in the process of adding a 500w solar kit to my 2012 Cruiser fifth wheel. Presently there are 2 12V deep cycle batteries in the trailer and it has the standard converter/charger installed. I would like to install a 3000w pure sine inverter and an automatic transfer switch(such as used with a generator) in it as well.

I have been looking for where I could find either a service manual or some sort of a complete wiring diagram for the trailer, but so far have not been successful. Having the diagram would certainly help in positively identifying wires and hooking everything up correctly.

Has anyone installed such a system and what resources were you able to find to help in the process? My ultimate goal is to allow the trailer to be self sustaining, electrically, while dry camping. I would really like to be able to run 1 air conditioner a couple hours a day, which is why I wanted to use the 3000w inverter. This would allow us the ability to provide a cool place for our pets if we stop to do something on a hot day. Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
gcglore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You should probably call Crossroads customer service and give them the VIN of your trailer. I have owned four different trailers manufactured by three different companies, and none of them have had a manual that was worth opening up. Hopefully the company can at least provide you a wiring diagram. Good luck. Let us know how your project turns out.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Here is a link to where I got mine. At the time I did my install these people were very helpful.
http://rvsolarelectric.com/
As far as needing a wiring schematic/diagram, I don't think you need one for the install.

For what you want to do, you are going to need one BIG battery bank.

Here's another link I have. They have some good simple info that you might find helpful.
http://rvroadtrip.us/library/solar_install.php#inverter
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to dhasenwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcglore View Post
I am in the process of adding a 500w solar kit to my 2012 Cruiser fifth wheel. Presently there are 2 12V deep cycle batteries in the trailer and it has the standard converter/charger installed. I would like to install a 3000w pure sine inverter and an automatic transfer switch(such as used with a generator) in it as well.

I have been looking for where I could find either a service manual or some sort of a complete wiring diagram for the trailer, but so far have not been successful. Having the diagram would certainly help in positively identifying wires and hooking everything up correctly.

Has anyone installed such a system and what resources were you able to find to help in the process? My ultimate goal is to allow the trailer to be self sustaining, electrically, while dry camping. I would really like to be able to run 1 air conditioner a couple hours a day, which is why I wanted to use the 3000w inverter. This would allow us the ability to provide a cool place for our pets if we stop to do something on a hot day. Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I hope your install went OK. I am basically following your lead and have installed four 150 watt panels on our 2011 Cruiser 5er. Now looking at the Inverters available. Like you, I would like a 3000 watt Pure Sine system with an automatic transfer switch. I have a 3000 watt modified Sine inverter but am reluctant to use it, because of the cautions on charging re-chargable devices, like razors, phones, flashlights, etc.
Any info that you could pass on would be appreciated.
Dale
dhasenwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote