Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
New Camper

Bad Smell

We purchased a Sunset Trail 32 FR in April of this year and we love it. It was perfect for us with the bunkhouse in the back for our son that has its own tv and fridge.
There is only one issue that I have and that is the smell that is in it. You think it is a new trailer smell or the leather seats but it is a little different. It is like it is the type of glue or adhesive that they used to put it together. When you first go in the trailer it is there but after being there for a little while you get used it is I guess and it is gone, until you get home and you can smell it. It gets on everything. The food in the cabinets, your clothes, items you brought with you It is horrible!! I have tried washing everything with Lysol and soapy water, I have tried Febreze, and air fresheners that you leave out. When we winterized it, I decided to put bounce dryer sheets in each one of the cabinets as well as on the tables and seats. I hope that does the trick but it is getting so bad that I am considering trading in the trailer next year for a different one.
Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you get rid of it?
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is this your first rv ?

Are your sure it's not one of your plumbing p-traps that has dried out and the grey water smell is coming in ?

or you are not using chemicals and it's your black tank ?

With a BOY, there's LOTS of other possibilities too good luck...

Once we we had a smell, we just opened everything up for a couple of hours and let it air out
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Read these:

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7585

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25994802.cfm

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Drcook gave you great info. Airing is usually the thing that works. You are in a cold area so that should help with fresh air. If you can run a fan with some vents open for a few days for a couple of weeks that should do the trick if it is Mfg chemicals causing the problem. Odors can be upsetting so if one tip dosn't work try another. Good luck.
Report back how it goes.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
New Camper

It is a brand new trailer and has been there since we had bought it. It isnt a smell from the grey water or traps. We use the chemicals everytime we change the black water.
We have kept the vents open and kept the fans on for a full week and still the smell stays.
I guess we will have to see what happens after the winter when we have the bounce sheets there and see if the smell goes. I get nervous that it is toxic since it gets on the food.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

It is usually the off venting of material,foam and partical board,along with any silicone that may be used inside. did you by any chance put in a foam topper on your bed before you let it sit outside and off vent for at least a week ?

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I used the amonia in pie pans on the Zinger we had that took care of it
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It is usually the off venting of material,foam and partical board,along with any silicone that may be used inside. did you by any chance put in a foam topper on your bed before you let it sit outside and off vent for at least a week ?
No We never bought a foam mattress.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
I used the amonia in pie pans on the Zinger we had that took care of it
Is that dangerous?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Opening up and airing it out helps. Cleaning any loose particles out of vents helps. Things will smell for a bit and then it will get better. You can try the above tips but it goes away best after all systems (heat and a.c.) used and either does open. A few good vacuuming and several good cleanings. If all else fails get zeolite at the allergy store. Also use the geo method for your tank management as it gives off less of a chemical smell than drop ins.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

No pour it into 3 or 4 pans close up the unit for three or four days (should be warm out) at the end of that time open up the unit windows doors vents get rid of the of the Amonia and air out the unit for about 8 hours.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

It's funny, I looked at dozens of new trailers and many had such strong formaldehyde vapors it made my eyes and throat burn, then stuck with me afterward. I found the Sunset Trails much less strong, and hardly notice it in my new 270. Maybe the dealer aired it outa bit.
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
No pour it into 3 or 4 pans close up the unit for three or four days (should be warm out) at the end of that time open up the unit windows doors vents get rid of the of the Amonia and air out the unit for about 8 hours.

Frank has it down pat!!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote