Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Love my Prodigy. Have used it with two different trailers and it was easily transferred between two different tow vehicles. Works great!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #22
New Camper

I would not trust anything on the stock rear bumper. I needed to pull a small trailer with a golf cart on so I cut the stock bumper off and started over. I actually built 2 of them for 2 different ST29RL's. I used 3 inch channel iron running out from under the I beam frame that runs all the way to the rear jacks and welded that on all 4 corners. The the new rear bumper is 4"x4" x.25" wall square tubing. I welded a 2 inch receiver box in the center and made a safety chain loop/gusset for good measure. You might could get away with going with 3/16" bumper, but the extra thickness was only a few more dollars and was worth the peace of mind. I can get pics if anyone is interested.Â*

http://www.studmonkeyracing.com/v2/pics/talladega_2009a/dega1.JPG

Edited by: monkey-1
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 ST27RB. Love it. No problems with it. Just a comment and a question. First the comment about rear bike carrier. I had a hitch welding shop install a 2" receiver welded to the frame in front of the bumper. No problems with bike rack etc. Now the question. I have Tekshona Voyager brake controller and will replace it with anew one. I was thinking of getting a Prodigy (Teshona) or Draw Tite Intella-Stop unit. Any comments or suggestions?

Another Canadian waiting for the warmer weather

2008 Dodge Ram

2008 ST27RB

The Tekonsha Prodigy has a well deserved rep as a great brake controller. Â*I opted for the P3, the big brother. Â*Didn't really need the addl features but liked the graphics better.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

sounds like a strong set-up. what state are you in that allows double tag along trailers?

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
New Camper

I am in Mississippi and just got back from going to Alabama last weekend towing my 'train'.

monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

My vote is for th p-3. Back at the beginning of this post in feb. I said I was carrying 2 bikes on the back of my bumper,I no longer will do this. No not because of the strength of the bumper but because they take to much of a beating back there. The tydowns on my carrier broke and the handelbar went through the picture wondow in the back of my camper. All is fixed and good now but will find a new place for the bikes.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #27
New Camper

I would not put a rear bumper mounted bike rack on a Sunset Trail. We have the ST32KS, and went through two bike racks, a bent rear bumper and dropped bikes on the expressway. The problem seems to be that there is too much bouncing to attach the bikes to the back. All of the bouncing caused our bike racks to bend (both were high quality racks). On the second one we had plates welded underneath the back bumper after the bumper was bent down with the first one. So on the second one the bumper didn't bend but the rack did and the bikes broke off.

I would love to hear a solution. We have been putting the 4 bikes inside the camper underneath blankets which is less than ideal because they bounce around and ding up the wood. We also talked to the dealer about a rack on the hitch frame but there is not enough turning radius then for the camper.

I am thinking about getting a roof rack for our truck and carrying the bikes there.

Arlington Heights, IL

Sunset Trail 32KS

TAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 AM   #28
Seasonal Camper

We are probably going to go with a Yakima style roof rack on our truck to carry out bikes. We carried 3 on areceiver mounted rack for the past 2 summers without incident but this year we will have 4 and I don't want to beat the bikes up (the spacing on the rack is just too close for my comfort) and that is a fair amount of weight for 1 receiver. I thought about fabricating a "tray style" rack that would attach to two 2 inch receivers (Hey! 3 "2s" in a row!) but then if we wanted to take the bikes somewhere once we arrived at the CG we would need a rack for the truck. I really think at this point a roof mounted rack on the truck is my best option.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

lonnie,

i just camped last weekend for the first time with my front receiver bike rack. i got to tell you it worked out nice. the hitch cost me $149 (bolt on)and the bike rack was $220 (4 bike). the down side, from my bikes up front to my schwinn tandem on my custom made "bike tray" in the back i'm 61' long. thats a whole lotta rosie.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
Seasonal Camper

61' That's one of the things I like best about my 5er.4 feet of it is over top of the truck bed so I am really only dragging 29 feet behind me!

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #31
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I'm trying to get some ideas on carrying bikes other then inside the trailer. Does anybody know of a bike rack made for the A frame up front? I heard there was one company out there that made one, can't find it. Without the gas tanks there it seems like it would be a good spot. Or has anybody tried those bike racks that go over the reciever? Do the bikes get in the way on a sharp turn? Thanks for the info.

One way to do this is using the bed of your tow truck (if you are using a pickup truck). There are several options on the market. Just do a google search for "pickup bike racks." I like the new RempRack - http://www.remprack.com-- because it holds my whole family's set of bikes, and also leaves room for other stuff.

bdean is offline   Reply With Quote