Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
tds
New Camper

We recently bought a used 2006 Crossroads BelAir. It has a mismatched set of tires, some radial and some bias ply. They are all worn so I plan to replace them all. I am told that the trailer specs call for bias ply tires according to the manufacturer information. My small town tire guy says that they are a special order for himand that he generally puts radial tires on camper trailers with no issues.

From what I have read, the bias ply tires supposedly help control sway more than the radial tires. Is there a general consensus or opinoin on which type is preferred both for safety and performance. I welcome any feedback.
tds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I changed from bias ply to radials on my Paradise Pointe. I have had no issue's at all. Everything on the inside rides just fine and the trailer pulls really well. Just be sure to get the same load rating.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Radials are the way to go, they will save dollars due to less rolling resistence. As above make certain of the correct load limit. Check the tire pressure often, low pressure kills more tires than anything. Have fun and enjoy

2005 Cruiser CF29CK 3 slides

19.5 ft Glastron SX IO Boat

Tow Both
gbontrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
New Camper

Glad you saw the mismatched tires. Dangerous. I'm sure you already purchased tires, but, bias tires are somewhat dangerous on their own. They also will have a flat spot where they hit the ground after cooling off. Then the bumpety bump until they warm back up. Steel radials are the safest way by a long shot. Even farmers use radials because they supply more traction and more importantly they require less power to get them rolling, so more fuel efficient, too.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote