Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

New trailer gets hit on vacation

This was our first long vacation with our new trailer. The second day out, we pulled into a huge Love's store (big enough for big rigs) and was waiting to get up to the pump. A bozo that obviously didn't know how to pull a trailer, came around us in back pulling a 40-45 ft. enclosed trailer. He clipped the passenger rear corner of our trailer . We were in park and the crash moved us forward with a jolt. We jumped out and went to see what had happened. The guy, was saying, "My bad, it was my fault." Of course, I was upset, first trip, second day out. He not only hit our trailer with his huge trailer, he hit in the middle of his trailer. I couldn't believe someone could be so dumb! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Anyway, the swing out grill bracket protected our trailer somewhat. We do have damage to the bracket, the bumper and a little bit on the bottom corner of the trailer. It ended up, he was a jerk afterall. The grill bracket opened up the side of his trailer like a sardine can! We called the police and they came out. He admitted that he was at fault. We both had Geico so there was no question what company was going to cover it. While waiting for the police, I pulled up parallel to him. It took about an hour for the police to do his report. I was going to pull out first because there was a fence about 10 ft in front of him. He started to pull out and turn in front of me, trying to bully his way around the front of our truck. He didn't have room to do this without taking out the front of our truck. I held my hand up saying wait a minute. He proceeded to flip me off! I know he was upset that the grill bracket at just torn about a 10 ft. gash in his trailer. The dummy, it was his own stupud fault! Anyway, I've attached a few pictures including one of his damaged, black trailer. I think some people need training before they endeavor pulling a large trailer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140705_091204495.jpg (115.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140705_091156859.jpg (167.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140705_091131400.jpg (135.5 KB, 36 views)

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Wow, you were fortunate to have little damage to the box itself. Some people are just jerks and can't help themselves. Good luck with your repairs.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Sorry this happened to you. What a jackass that guy was! If it makes you feel any better I can think of a worse situation. Our friend from Colorado went to Iowa to pick up a new trailer and the day they left the dealership a guy ran a stop sign and t-boned the trailer totaling it. They had the replacement delivered to them back home in Colorado.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Team

If I could use the word @$$#**! on this forum, I would. He was a total jerk. Too bad you didn't get a picture of him flipping you off. Then you could have sent it to his insurance company.
Hope all works out for you and you have a great rest of your trip.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

What a fiasco,

It could of been worse. First, your safe. Campers are replaceable...Looks like your trailer is habitable and water tight, so you didnt have to cut your trip short. At least you were parked. I always worry about getting clipped while towing.

Sounds like the guy was a real jerk. I respect you keeping your cool with the whole thing. Had to be frustrating. Those truck stops can be scary, especially the turnpike gas stations...people fly through those.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Oh, that's a lot worse. We did luck out. We were even able to use our grill bracket the entire trip! It was bent but still fully functional. It didn't do anything to our outdoor kitchen either. We were able to do everything with the camper except we couldn't get the end cap back on the bumper. We had to use duct tape on that end to keep the sewer hose from falling out.

2013 F250
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

His Geico rep called me and took a recorded statement. He asked if there was anything else I would care to add about the accident. I told him that his customer was a jerk and was more upset about his trailer than our's. I told him about how he almost pulled in front of us and would have wrecked our truck too. I said that it was obvious that he had no idea how to pull a trailer. I also told him about his customer flipping me off. For what it's worth, it is on the record at Geico. I just dread the hassle of taking the trailer in for repairs. We are going to wait until the fall to take it in because we don't want to miss out on any camping.

2013 F250
Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Also, we were traveling with my cousin and her husband. Both my husband and her husband are pretty big guys. After he flipped me off and I drove around to the pumps, he left the scene very quickly. I'm sure he wondered if I was going to tell my husband (who was in the restroom and didn't see him flip me off) and my cousin's hubby what he had done. They were both very angry after hearing this. They thought we had all kept our composure considering the situation and treated him fairly decently.

2013 F250
Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Jill
Glad to hear no one was hurt and you are able to use the camper until you decide to get it fixed. Too many JERKS like that on the roads now-a-days.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Very unfortunate but you did the right thing. Road rage can escalate quickly and even be deadly these days. Had the cops already left the scene? They usually stay on scene until the vehicles are cleared or dispersed. If still on scene I think I would have said something.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Sorry about your trailer,
but I can say I almost did the same thing when I was bringing my 5er back for it's first service...
focused in on a long parking spot up ahead and pulled over to line it up and JUST in time saw a parked 5er on the inside of my turn - slammed on the brakes and almost jerked my wife into the windshield

Lesson learned for me !!!

(moderator edit)
Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=OhioMark;82893]What a fiasco,

... I always worry about getting clipped while towing.

My dad was clipped while towing by a garbage truck. Doesn't feel any different than a crosswind.

Luckily you had that grill stand to open him up like that! Not to be rude - but serves him right for being a jerk after not paying attention! They will have to rebuild half that trailer!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I guess if he had been nicer to us, I would have felt bad about the damage to his trailer. Since he was such a jerk, I am glad I have a photo of his trailer. I look at it once in a while and it makes me feel a little better. I guess that's being human.

2013 F250
Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about the accident. I would have been furious too. While he acted like a jerk name calling to the insurance company doesn't help your plight. Although I do agree a matter of fact statement describing the actions is appropriate. I hope you get everything fixed to like new.

Truck stops are definitely scary. We were on our maiden voyage this weekend and noticed the tonneau cover had more play than I want going down the road. Pulled into a local truck stop to check it. I went in the truck entrance and was coming down the enter lane near the cat scale. A semi was parked partially blocking the exit lane. Another semi had just pulled out of the pumps and decided to make a left directly in my path to the exit. I slammed on the brakes and stopped. He pushed his way through and missed taking out the front end of my truck by 3 inches. I made it past him and pulled into an empty spot for a 2 minute check. Got back in and was almost run over by another semi who turned with no turn signal down my lane instead of continuing straight. I jammed on the brakes, let him go and then proceeded to follow him. He would drive a few feet stop, drive a few feet and stop. I finally gave up and went around him and got the heck outta there. DH hollering at me for the truck in the entrance did not help my stress levels at all. Same trip I also was passed by a truck pulling a pop-up that was jumping in and out of rush hour traffic. I was afraid he was gonna wreck it. So glad I made it to the campground in one piece.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

You sure have to drive defensively that's for sure when you are pulling an rv. Sounds like you had quite an experience.

2013 F250
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Thankfully mine ended better than yours.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Maybe, anaro, it's time to hand the reigns over to Ant to see how he handles it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Nope, you didn't see him struggle with the tt. Or should I say, me struggle with him learning to drive the tt. No, he will tell you that the truck stop was the others behaving like idiots. He hollered at me for not laying on the horn (remember he's a Jersey boy and uses horn first, finger second).

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #19
Site Team

That is to bad. You would think intelligent, educated people could find better and more civil ways of expressing themselves.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about your trailer that would of made me sick. I work in a job where I deal with difficult people all the time and its sad how some people choose to act and treat other people. I saw a good saying the other day "A parents life is there child's handbook", I couldn't agree more, but anyway sorry again about u having to deal with that. Hope all gets taken care of to your satisfaction.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote