Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

AC Vents or Lack Of

I've been reading on several groups about the lack of cooling. Mine has been at the dealer for the yearly roof inspection (took over 2 weeks) but is now back and I looked closely at mine. Since I have a second AC in the bedroom we have been fine but I've always felt it just wasn't doing what it should.

The main AC unit (15k Dometic) has 4 vents. 3 in the living area and 1 in the bedroom. No wonder it won't cool, lots of air but no place to go except out the "quick cool" when it's open. The Dometic website shows the installation instructions for the ducting. It gives min duct size and vents. The ducts are in an H pattern with the AC in the center of the H. It shows a MIN of 4 outlets per leg of the H for a total of 8 (max of 16 if you are wondering). I have 4 total.

I have ordered 4 matching vents and will get a hole saw and install at least 3 more vents in the living area. The bedroom has it's own AC and does fine.

Our last Crossroads product (CF285RL) was a little smaller (3') and had no problem cooling, BUT it had more vents(I don't remember how many). I guess someone was asleep when this one was built or in the bathroom.

With the glacial speed the dealer moves at I'm not even going to involve Crossroads in this. I have too many trips planned for the rest of the year.

2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Clif,

When I asked CR and Dometic about this issue, I got no response from either company. My concern with adding more vents would be placement. If the new vents you install are closer to the A/C than existing vents, then while total air flow will increase, air flow to the distance corners of the RV (where heat is the worst) may be decreased. And if they are too close to the return grill, most of the added air flow may be wasted. Wish I had more knowledge, but my recommendation would be to install them as far away from the A/C as possible. In most cases, the main duct runs past the last vent, so if possible add the new vent just past the existing vent, otherwise put it very near the existing vent. Would like to hear what you decide and how well it works.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I will let you know how it works out. All of the vents installed and the ones I am putting in are adjustable so I can tailor it as needed.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I opened up the air returned also. More air in more air out. Now need too wear my winter slippers.
Original air return:

New larger air return.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote