Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 958px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 200px; min-height: 200px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 809px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">We are planning a trip from Denver to Portland and Seattle this summer. Going to travel the last of June and first couple of weeks of July. Any info on the do's and don't on highway selection pulling 34' 5'er, 30SK and brother in law a new 34'-335SS. We are looking at I-84. Also what are some of the must avoids in the Portland and Seattle areas. Any ideas on good RV parks or campgrounds and the must see and do list would also be welcome.</td></tr></t></table>

jjriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
New Camper

Oregon coast can't be beat especially north of Florence along Rt 101. all the state campgrounds along the coast are terrific and many have water/electric

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

https://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...na/Cruiser.jpg
metamontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

jjriff,

The wife and I have travelled I84 a couple times when travelling from Vancouver BC to Denver (in fact, we are leaving for Denver in two weeks along that route). You should have no issues whatsoever along I84. It is pretty well the fastest route between Salt Lake and Portland.

As to avoiding things in Seattle and Portland, the biggest thing I would avoid in Seattle is driving into/out of Seattle during rush hour. Without a doubt one of the worst cities for rush hour clog.

It's a bit difficult to give you tips on things to see/do without knowing your likes and past-times, however - Seattle: Pike Street Market, Space Needle, Seattle Zoo, Glass Museum in Tacoma, Museum of Flight near Boeing Field. Can't immediately think of any Portland attractions except the Japanese Gardens.

Unless you are really committed to spending the majority of your time in those two cities, I would suggest taking some time and hitting the northern Oregon Coast or Olympic National Park in northwest Washington. Lots of stuff to see and do at both locations. If you wish to do either, email me marpel(at)shaw.ca and I can give you a list of sights and good RV places to stay. You should also consider taking a secondary route back/to, through either Leavenworth (bavarian like village) or Winthrop (farther north) in Wash state or Sisters and/or Crater Lake area in Oregon. each has some very good RV places. However, unsure of your time restrictions so hard to be more specific.

I84 along the Columbia River between Portland and The Dalles, on south side of river, has a number of waterfalls and spots to stop and hike or photograph, although the side road (parallels I84) is not trailer friendly as it's very narrow. However, this area is a short, easy drive from Portland and makes a nice day trip.

Places to stay - Portland: highly recommend Pheasant Ridge just south of the city off of I5 (rated 10, 10, 10) or Columbia River RV Park, just east of Portland across the street from Columbia River and just down the way from the airport (not rated as good as the other). Seattle: Seattle/Tacoma KOA, Lakeside RV Park or Maple Grove RV Resort.

Let me know if you need further info.

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote