Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
New Camper

Help with Jensen Am/Fm DVD/CD Player

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2014 Zinger 31sb I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to play a DVD on the Jensen, but have the sound come through the TV only. Me and the wife tried to watch a movie in our room but the sound played throughout the RV. I believe I pushed every button on the darn thing possible. Can anyone offer some advice??
JLD02864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

When we watch DVD's we listen through the overhead speakers. You can select speakers via the A, B and C switches on the front of my Jensen unit. I imagine you could turn of those speakers and have it play through the TV, but generally speaking the speakers in flat screens are not the best.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Site Team

since the DVD player is independant of the TV, the sound is connected to the overhead speakers. You might be able to route the wires to the tv, but like MEHoffman said, tv speakers are horrible. Check out the speakers switches.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Which Jensen unit do you have?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Site Team

This doesn't help with the OP's problem, but I would like to add---
Not all television speakers are lousy.
We have three Samsung TV's. They all have the speakers under the screen, "pointing forward". When I researched them, that was the main requisite.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Ken
Weekend Camper

I am not sure if you installed you tv or it came with you trailer but there is 3 Component wires that come out of the Jenson 1yellow (video) 1 red (right audio) and 1 white ( left audio). On my Zinger the yellow provides video for the DVD player to the tv and the 2 audio cables provide input sound for my direct tv receiver, so there is no audio going from the Jenson to my tv. Really I would rather use the radio audio anyway. You may want to pick up a cheap small blue ray or DVD player and hook it up to the tv using an HDMI cord you will get much better pictures quality. The Jenson that came with my 2014 Zinger isn't the best quality. I believe the higher end Crossroads come with the Jenson radios that have HDMI inputs and digital audio inputs. I thought about upgrading but there is better things I want to get before a new radio.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD02864 View Post
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2014 Zinger 31sb I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to play a DVD on the Jensen, but have the sound come through the TV only. Me and the wife tried to watch a movie in our room but the sound played throughout the RV. I believe I pushed every button on the darn thing possible. Can anyone offer some advice??
If you have the piece of crap Jensen AWM 965 it cannot be done. The 965 doesn't have an audio out jack, therefore no sound from tv.

Look at your unit and see what model it is. Then look at your build sheet and see what it says. I am curious, as mine says I have the 970 but they put the 965 in.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

You can add speakers to the bedroom side and wire them to the 'C' speaker output, then shut off 'A' and 'B'. it is the only way to do it on the 965. and it is easy to do.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Site Team

What do you mean by "our room?" Living room or bedroom?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
What do you mean by "our room?" Living room or bedroom?
I am sure he means the bedroom. There are probably no speakers in the bedroom and you cannot get sound thru tv if watching a movie.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Tre
Weekend Camper

We have a Jensen and ran into similar problem, but problem with sound and picture.

We have 32" Sansui in ours, which does not have a yellow analog video input. The Jensen ONLY has this yellow video output. We thought something was wrong because manufacturer plugged the yellow into the green input of the the RBG input on the TV.

May sound confusing but turns out we just needed to play with the input (remote) on TV to get picture and sound right. DVD now works (with sound from TV) if input was set on the top "A/V". We way it's plugged in to the TV you would think input should be set on "component 1" but it works on both!
Turn sound down on Jensen and crank up TV sound.
Not sure if this helps, good luck with it.

On a side note, if you think Sansui is a hoopty brand. We've had a Sansui brand CRT TV in our bedroom for over 10 years. I can't make the TV die, and I want it to so I can get a flat screen in the bedroom. It just keeps on ticking! Dern it!
Tekonsha P3
Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
New Camper

Thank you

Thanks for all the good advice. I think my best option is to buy a cheap DVD player and hook up it with the HDMI cord. Hopefully it will all workout. Thanks again!
JLD02864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

JLD,

If you want sound thru the TV speakers, but NOT thru the RV speakers, just push the A and B buttons so they are both OFF. I assume you hooked A/V wires to TV inputs.

We have the Jensen 965, and pushing each A/B button toggles the set of speakers on/off.

If you want to add speakers, good luck. I pulled the radio out once, and nothing much to tap into behind it. Not sure where "C" hookup is. I was looking to see if there was an outlet...there isn't (radio is hard wired).
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
This doesn't help with the OP's problem, but I would like to add---
Not all television speakers are lousy.
We have three Samsung TV's. They all have the speakers under the screen, "pointing forward". When I researched them, that was the main requisite.
X2. We have 32" Samsung at home and in TT. The sound is VERY good.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote