Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Where to camp in SE Georgia?

Hi my name is Bert and I'm addicted to camping.
I'm in the middle of planning my dream trip out west in July. But.......
I have my last vacation of the year now at the end of December.
I live in Florida and I'm looking for somewhere close to the Fl - Ga line in the SE area of GA. We like to be in the woods and we also enjoy historical sites.

I was looking at Stephan C. Foster state park. Also I was checking out Country Oaks Campground near Kingsland, GA
Ft. Clinch State Park in Fl was another one.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Ft Pickens national park in Pensacola. All sites are paved with w/e. It's on the gulf. If you're a senior camping is $13. Lots to see especially the Naval air museum, no charge for the museum.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Country Oaks is a nice small campground with fantastic people there. If you are not requiring full hook up there is also Crooked River State Park in St Mary's Georgia (gastateparks.org) one exit further north on 95. There is also a campground called walkabout at about exit 7, full hook up but the site are TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT! Right next to country oaks is North Jax KOA. Country oaks is a small park but we have always had great experiences there. We live approx. 25 miles from this area (Jacksonville Florida) so yell if ya have more questions.

If you are willing to go a little further up into Georgia, I can tell you about parks in both Brunswick and Savanna Georgia Lots of history in savanna.
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We really enjoy Stephen Foster. They have great trails along the river. You are close to the Olustee Battlefield, The suwannee river state park has some historical sites and in Stephen Foster there is an Old Spring House left at the entrance of the park, plus a Stephen Foster museum and bell tower. The bell tower plays stephen foster songs on the 1/2 hour and you wake up to Oh Susanna and Way down o the Swanee river. Very cool. Also if you bike the Big Shoals State Park is about 5 miles away and has a paved bike trail and a hiking trail along the river to the shoals. Beautiful. The Florida trails cuts through Stephen Foster and goes along the river also. The Tilford Hotel has reopened to eat at. Also Suwannee springs is about 6 miles from the park and is a great area to hike around and has the basement of an old Spring house with the spring still functioning. Lots of see in the area. You are only about 40 minutes from the Okefenokee Swamp which is fun to do also. Make sure you put White Springs in your GPS so it takes you to the correct Stephen Foster Cultural State Park not to the Stephen Foster State park in Georgia. Have fun. Fort Clinch is also beautiful, the first week end of each month they have soldiers in period costumes. There is so much history here, you can see something different each day. We took the boat trip over by Cumberland Island, did the Kingsley Mansion, biked the biking trail to Big Talbot state park. There is a great greenway to bike across the street from the park. Close to town to eat out and walk around and all around great vacation spot. Enjoy.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

KCANDSTING
Is it ok to go now in December?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Just bring warm clothes. I do not know if you can get reservations at Stephen Foster they have a huge light show and every night a Christmas celebration of lights, I would certainly try. They have quite a few large sites that are pull thru that are great, If you do Fort Clinch make sure you camp in the beach campground all sites are good and you will see deer each evening right behind most sites. Hope you can get in.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I didn't realize we had a Stephen Foster park in Fl. I was talking about the one in GA. But like almost all parks in Fl right know they are booked.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
JJC
Weekend Camper

You might try Anastasia state park in St. Augustine although it's about 1.5 hrs south of the state line. Nice campground very close to the beach but still has wooded sites. If you have never stayed in St.Augustine you might want to try it. I lived there for almost 20 years and loved it. No better place for historical sites and there are some great restaurants. This is a great time of the year to go as the downtown area has the nights of lights...National Geographic says it is one of the Worlds 10 best Holiday Displays.
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

We are actually in St. Augustine right now. We couldn't stay in Anastasia because it was booked. We're staying at North Beach Campground, it really nice here as well and the full hookup is convenient.