Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
New Camper

siding bulging when driving

So I bought my 2014 Z1 301bh last summer and I notice soon after that when towing on the highway the siding on the driver side front of the trailer bulges out. Also if u open the front driver side storage door the interior paneling is bowed out from the wooden frame. Also in the bedroom the paneling has separated. Seems like somehow air is getting under the paneling. Well stupid me I never called crossroads. Its now over a year so I'd imagine that the manufactuer warranty is no good. I looked at the front driver corner under the diamondplate that the black fabric material was torn amd I could see the frame of the trailer. So I assumed this was the spot. I duct taped it and thought that would fix it but no. And everytime I tow it it gets worse. Btw we are full timers. I have towed it maybe 6 times since we bought it. Total of 3k miles roughly. Im afraid that one day its just gonna explode on the highway. Really don't need that. Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this. Thanks in advance. Ps as u can see In the pics there's no bulge when parked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141102_123805.jpg (117.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20141102_123740.jpg (122.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20141102_123823.jpg (128.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2014-11-02-12-36-06.png (384.3 KB, 35 views)
linetrash89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Call Crossroads and ask them, you never know how their warranties work... It doesn't cost anything.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Usually, when the aluminum skin bulges out, it is a combination of loose or missing staples along the edge of the horizontal panel plus differential air pressure. To check and fix the staples, you would have to remove all trim, caulk and penetrations (running lights, etc), then take each panel off starting from the top til you get below the problem, finally reinstall them making sure the staples get into the studs. Damage to the panels is very possible and may be new panels will be required. Looks like you have two panels that are suspect.

An alternative that worked for me many yrs ago was to use clear silicone caulk injected along the seam between panels, then removing excess.

However, before doing any of this, try changing air flow aerodynamics. Looks like you are using a pickup w/o topper. Try removing the tailgate for a test, then maybe switch to a flow-thru tailgate or add a topper. Another test is to try towing with a window partially open on the trailer to equalize air pressure. If that works, then an open roof vent and a vent cover may be a solution.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree - warranty work it should be.

Siding on these actually comes from the top down (lower panel tucks into panel above it), so if you had to remove it, you work your way UP, not down. Seeing the factory and your pics, I would say staples pulled/went thru the aluminum and the wind from driving sucks the siding out.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
New Camper

We are having this same problem on our Zinger 28BH. We called Crossroads but since it is 13 months out of the warranty they won't fix it. We tried opening the window while driving but it stilled bowed out. Let me know if you can come up with a fix. Our dealer will charge us $3000 to repair. At that point I'm trading it in!
Rechichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechichi View Post
We are having this same problem on our Zinger 28BH. We called Crossroads but since it is 13 months out of the warranty they won't fix it. We tried opening the window while driving but it stilled bowed out. Let me know if you can come up with a fix. Our dealer will charge us $3000 to repair. At that point I'm trading it in!
Differential air pressure is part of the problem. But it is not inside vs. outside air pressure, so opening a window will not change the problem. Similar to how an airplane wing creates lift, high pressure at the front cap results in low pressure along the sides which pulls the siding out. If you are towing with a van or pickup with a cap, try adding a wind deflector to the tow vehicle, that will reduce pressure differential at the trailer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Site Team

I believe by not addressing the problem of staples failing, your problem will get worse. You might have to bite the bullet on this one and either do it yourself or have a COMPETENT RV repair shop do it four you.

Good luck

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to k5sat Send a message via Yahoo to k5sat
I just brought mine home yesterday. This stuff is starting to scare me.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:06 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Just remember that running down the road 70-80 mph is like putting your house into a hurricane. I am not sure that they are built to with stand that kind of wind speed. Just my thoughts.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to k5sat Send a message via Yahoo to k5sat
I currently have a popup that was pretty scary to tow over 60. I never had a problem with sway, but speeds over 65 became stressful. However, when I brought my Z1 home, I did briefly drive at 70 and was surprised at how easy it was to tow at that speed. I think that the mostly flat country south of San Antonio makes towing a little less stressful, especially in light traffic. I have no desire to try the hill country north of here.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Just remember, most tires that are labeled ST are only rated for 63 mph.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I hit 70 only when necessary to pass otherwise I'm happy at 65 or so, right lane, watching my left mirror for those pesky 18 wheelers that make me sway.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote