Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Well the first really nice (no wind) 50+ degree day and I thought now was a good time to go "try out" all the new toys I have collected for the winter. We are preparing for our 4,250 miles from from New Hampshire to New Mexico in under a month. We are very excited (and nervous) as this is the longest trip I have ever taken. I have flown to Miss. but that was in a plane and required no thought or planning.

Ourdealer, Traffords RV of Conway, NHput our trailer up for the season on their large storage lot above the sales lot. They returned it to it's spot after changing the axles out this past week (looks great, no more odd angles to the tires!!!)

I brought along some of my new toys:

Champion 4K Genny

Porter Cable pancake 6 gal air compressor

Two BAL chock locks

60" alum. bunk ladder with docking station

Multi-tip interchangable drive set

Garmin 255W GPS

The camper was sitting proud ontop of the lot in a row of Carriages (talk about $$$$) and I re-installed the deep cycle battery. I fired up the genny (2nd pull after sitting for a month) and connected the camper. I put out the slides and all was well. From inside the Champion is a mere hummmmmmmm and it ran everything well.

I tried installing the bunk ladder but the dealerships supplier sent the wrong one, instead of the docking station it was the plain-Jane "hook" and it didn't work. No harm no foul, the dealership re-ordered the correct one for us.

The BAL locks fit nicely and the included racheting drive is nice. I really think these work great- as I snooped around the camper the kids used the bunk room to give them a good try out!!!!!! They jumped around and all seemed secure and stable. I would like to install a front jack stab. system eventually to take care of the side to side rocking that occurs.

I didn't get to try the new drive as it was going to be used to install previously mentioned bunk ladder!!!!!

I found nothing out of the ordinary in the camper, although the wild swings in temp's have put some condensation on the roof vent covers, so I partially opened the roof vents to help the camper "breathe" a bit more. No sign of Mickey (or Minney) mouse which is always good news. No obvious leaks, cracks, damage or otherwise unwanted winter issues we can have up here. (knocking heavily on wood!!!!!)

Any advice any of you fine folks can offer for us prior to our trip would be graciously accepted as we "think" we have everything. The Garmin got us to the dealership and I loved the accuracy and "spoken" street names and directions.

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like a great trip. We took a nice long trip last summer to your fine state, then south to Va. and back westto Wa. State with our Cruiser and Garmin. Both worked great. The trip was completely trouble free. The Garmin was a great help forus. Take your time, 300-400 mi. max.per day and enjoy.

Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Well thank you for visiting. We do love hosting people in this state and sharing our coastline!!

Thanks for the encouragement and come back to visit soon!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

As far as the garmin, we found our way through larger cities by programing a town or land mark further down the road. Jill, the voice on ours, would tell us which way the next exit or ramp was in plenty of time to change lanes if needed and we could even locate some camp grounds on our route. We were very glad we had it.

We visited Bangor, Bahaba, Camden.and of course Acadia Nat Park and wedidsample lobster rolls.

Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I'm trying to figure out how to load POI's using the POI loader. You can upload a KOA and truck stop list. I haven't had any good success getting this to work yet.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

to help with your moisture problem what i do is to leave the vent in the bathroom open, our vents are all covered the vent in the bathroom has not been closed since I bought the camper it stays open all year in all kinds of weather, including all winter, and I live in a snow belt area right off Lake Erie, we have never had any condsation problems and I have never had any snow or rain inside, it keeps the air moving and eliminated the problem, just make sure you prop your stool room door open, it will end your problem...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks, it's now open. Hopefully it will help with the wild temp. swings!!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Hi Mike the Garmin is the best envestment you can make for traveling ,your going to like it we use our tom tom on every trip. Have a safe trip, believe your garmin and see you this fall.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
Mike, Make sure you set the Garmin to Truck Routing. This will help to avoid areas not truck, or in our case RV, friendly.

Have a great trip.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like a wonderful trip!
Take your time and enjoy whats on the way. After all, that's part of the trip too. The previous stated mileage per day was pretty right on.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks, the manual for the Garmin is fuzzy. I didn't know there is a truck route setting??
Old 03-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
I think the truck routing may depend on what model you have. Mine has a few different choices...truck, car, cycle. I even think it may have walking. All I can remember is that it is on one of the settings screens. I always have to hunt for it when I need it.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote