Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
New Camper

Very Disappointed with first time out.

Well me and the wife are new cruiser owners. We purchased a new 2012 crossroads cruiser CT30REX. The trailer was new when we picked it up from the dealership a couple of months ago. Well we went out camping for the first time this weekend and here is the issues we found during our 5 night stay camping.
1. The trim on the refrigerator do kept on coming off , we would push it back on and then it would come right back off. 2. One of the LED lights on the front cap wouldn't come on, the dealership replaced it when we had our walkthrough, so i guess its out again. 3. When you run the electric jack up and down it blows a fuse, had to replace the fuse (30A) 3 times during our 5 day stay. 4. Rear bedroom speaker falling out of the celling. 5. The toliet lid has a pin missing on one side, so that was very unpleasant having to deal with. 6. Trim buckling in bathroom. 7. The jensen dvd player plays dvd's but freezes up about half way through a movie, despite us trying various dvd's, some brand new. 8. Awning light switch is totally inop. 9. The two electric stabilizer jack switches work sometimes and sometimes they don't. I cleaned them out with contact cleaner, but still the same thing. 10. TV has a loud popping noise when you listen to it over the surround sound system, (Fixed that with a Ground Loop Isolator). 11. Refrigerator works on gas, but not on electric at all. Is this a common for a new camper to have all these issues. Was just curious. Thanks
dannokr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Document everything, send an email copy of problems to Crossroads service. Include pictures in email. Follow up with phone call so the issues are properly documented by Crossroads. Send copy to dealership and set up an appointment.

Does this happen to everyone? Some new rv's have issues, some don't. For the small stuff I fix them myself. Not worth a trip to dealer. But for some issues that are beyond my scope or require a replacement part I take it to the dealer.
Good thing is you are still under warranty.

Best of luck getting your repairs.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

With all us baby boomers buying rv's now, all they have to do is throw them together and they sell...

Service shops are overwhelmed in our state with minimum 6 week 'visits' from all the reports I am getting...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We had quite a few issues at first and got some addressed by the dealer we bought from in Michigan. We got a few more addressed by a dealer while we were in Florida, and more yet by a local dealer. We went to the factory rally last year and got all the outstanding issues addressed to our satisfaction. They were great.

We use our trailer a lot, spending as much as 50% of our time in it between winters in Florida, short trips and long trips (just returned from 40 days out west). We have a number of new issues that arose from our recent trip so it means another trip to the local dealer.

We love the floor plan, which is why we bought this unit. We have not seen a floor plan on any other unit, even more expensive ones, that we like better (within this size - 34'). We will stick with this unit even through all the stuff that goes wrong because of this.

All new trailers have issues. They sell them cheap and in order to make money, make them cheap. Add to that the fact that they get towed around, you are asking for issues. One thing we noticed on our trip west recently is that a lot of the roads in the U.S., interstates included, are a bit on the rough side. I must say our roads in Ontario are generally in much better shape. I don't think that can be very good for trailers.

Friends of ours purchased a high end unit a few years ago, probably twice the price we paid for ours. Delivery was late and they did not have a chance to try it out before heading south for the winter. When they returned in the spring, they had a long list of items to be fixed. So it is not restricted to lower priced trailers.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The answer to your question is 'Yes', it is very common with a brand new trailer. I would make a list and have your dealer address them under warranty. Sounds like you can wait until camping season is over on most of those, so at least you won't lose camping time. The factories turn these things out with little or no QC procedures to catch problems before the dealers get them.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Cruiser. What part of Tennessee are you from?
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Sadly it is way more common than it should be and this is true across all manufacturers. My new zinger purchased in 2011 had a few minor issues all dealt with under warranty no questions asked. My new 2014 sabre (forest river product) has way more issues and more severe issues than you are seeing in your cruiser. The key is in how the problems are handled by both the dealer and the manufacturer. If you don't get satisfactory results working with the dealer or your current problems turn into major issues go over the dealership to crossroads. If necessary get it taken back to the factory for repairs. A pain yes but typically worth the hassle... You can arrange for them to transport it for you. I've been dealing with a great dealership but still going back to the factory for repairs as soon as I get my 5er winterized. Best if luck to you and I hope you get your issues resolved quickly.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your new Sabre, Aileen. We had a lot of first year problems with our Blue Ridge as well. Fortunately, our dealer was great and had a fantastic service department, so they were able to take care of everything without it having to go back to the factory. It was a pain in the rear end, though. Once I got all those problems repaired, it was an awesome camper, so if you can stand the hassle I think you will be happy with yours when you get it fixed. You've got a fine looking fiver.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
New Camper

I live in Dover Tn. We go camping out on LBL. Piney and Hillman Ferry is pretty popular around here. Thanks for your input and welcoming me to the forum.......
dannokr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your new Sabre, Aileen. We had a lot of first year problems with our Blue Ridge as well. Fortunately, our dealer was great and had a fantastic service department, so they were able to take care of everything without it having to go back to the factory. It was a pain in the rear end, though. Once I got all those problems repaired, it was an awesome camper, so if you can stand the hassle I think you will be happy with yours when you get it fixed. You've got a fine looking fiver.
Thanks Mike. I've heard once I get past my initial issues the sabre is a great trailer. I'm clinging to that. I have to say I have had great customer service From both my dealership and forest river.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Thanks Mike. I've heard once I get past my initial issues the sabre is a great trailer. I'm clinging to that. I have to say I have had great customer service From both my dealership and forest river.
That's good news, Aileen. That was my experience as well. It was a shame it came out of the factory with so many issues, but they were great about taking care of it all. Luckily, I was able to camp around my problems and get them fixed when it was convenient, so that helped. Boy, that was an awesome camper. 41 foot bunkhouse with 4 slides. I miss it, but I don't miss the payment nor having to look for "big rig friendly" campsites. My ol' Cruiser is 34', but it's amazing what a difference that makes with most of the state parks around here.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannokr38 View Post
I live in Dover Tn. We go camping out on LBL. Piney and Hillman Ferry is pretty popular around here. Thanks for your input and welcoming me to the forum.......
I've camped at Piney several times, as well as the Corps of Engineers campground up at Grand Rivers... Canal Campground, I believe it's called. We are two counties (I think) south of you. I work with some folks from Dover, Tn. Small world.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags