Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
New Camper

Just purchased our new Elevation 3912 and about to take on a two week journey. I have a few questions I hope someone could provide direction that the dealer was unable to answer and still waiting on answers from CrossRoads Customer Service. We have owned a few trailers and 5th Wheels in the past so not new to us.

First Question: Trying to figure out where all the coax connections terminate from the inside behind the main TV. Understand that the two outside connections are for cable and satellite. Inside I have three plates. One has the coax connection and antenna switch which usually ties to the outside Cable hookup. Then there is a single coax connection on a plate that has a gray coax connected on the back. I am guessing that is my Satellite feed from the outside connection. Then I have a plate with two coax connections. Both are fed with gray coax from the rear of the plate. No idea where these terminate. We bring our Dish Satellite receiver with us and I would like to broadcast to the rest of the TVs in the RV from the Dish Receiver VHF/UHF modulator out connection. I have done this in other RVs. Thoughts here?

Second question: I have found 4 low point gravity valves. Two that are side by side right under the outside water hookup and Hot Water heater on Trailer Driver side. One is Blue and one is Red. My guess is there are my main water line drains for cold and hot (from the hot water heater). A third is on the same trailer side andfound trailer front side of the third tri-axle. It is blue. The forth is 4 feet in front of the valve nearthe Axle and is also Blue. I think one or both of these are for the fresh water holding tank, but not sure. When I left the dealership, there was 40 gallons put in the holding tank.When I got home I attempted to drain the fresh water tank.When opening the3rd and 4th found valves,water ran from both for several minutes each. I would like to know for sure what the source is of each valve.

Last question: The RV came with an Onan 5500 on-board generator. I would be interested in knowing about how many hours per gallon I can expect under normal summer RVing. I own a Honda 3000 that nets about 18-20 hours on 3.5 gallons. I know this is no Honda for efficiency but would like to plan ahead on gas needs.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch w/6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
2013 Elevation 3912
Fla-Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I agree, they make the coax connections very confusing. Neither my dealer nor the factory could answer the questions. Thankfully, I am in the low voltage industry and have equipment to trace coax cable. Here is what I found. You should have 2 coax cables at the bedroon tv, one is hooked up to the tv. The second coax at the bedroom tv goes to the main tv single coax wall plate. My best guess for this is to feed the satellite lnb feed from outside directly to the front bedroom for a sat receiver in front. The double coax wallplate that is unused is for satellite connections. One goes outside to the hookups and the other one goes up to the roof for a rooftop satellite dish. That connection is under a blank plate by the garage roof vent. You should also have a set of rca cables that go from the DVD player to the front tv. I also found a set of rca cables behind the wall in the garage by the cable outlet, but have never found the other end??? I also have a spare ooax that I can not find. When I pulled the antenna booster out of the wall, there was a extra cable attached to it but have yet to find the other end. I am guessing it is for an outside tv but can not find it.

I found a good way to distribute satellite to the other tvs is with a a/b switch for coax. I take the cable tv input from the booster and put that feed to the a/b switch. I take the coax output of satellite receiver and put that to the other input of a/b switch. The output of the a/b switch goes to the input of the antenna booster. That way I can easily switch from cable to satellite.

Have not investigated the water drains.

If I remember, the generator uses on average three quarter a gallon per hour at half load.
2wheelglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I own a 2013 3612 with the 5500 generator, We primarily use the trailer to stay at motocross tracks around texas while my son races. I fill up the 30 gal gas tank, and it will last approx 48 hours ( give or take). This is in the texas summer with 2 A/c running mostly full time. I always bring a extra 5 gallon can just in case, I have used the extra can on a few extra hot weekends.

Keep in mind that we use our 5-er like a extra home, so the microwave / TV .DVD / refridgerator/ furnace if needed, whenever we want with no problems

The low point drainsare red=hot / blue=cold / white is overflow for water tank and the last hose is an overflow for the grey tank. I was told this by the service mngr at the explore usa dealership we bought it from. If this is not accurate please let me know.

Steve Rees

2011 Chevy Siverado 2500w/Duramax Diesel

2013 Elevation 3612
stevenrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
New Camper

Thank you TwoWheelGlider and Steve. This helps out a ton. I would have never thought one of the connects would lead to the bedroom, but that makes sense. Feeding my Satellite modulated signal back through the coax/Antenna line at the front TV is what I am accustomed to on other 5 ers we have owned. This really gives me something to go one and experiment.

Thanks for the low point drain info. I thought I had 1 red and the rest blue so I need to check to see if one of the Blues actually is white thus going to the Fresh Water tank. Again this really gives me something to go on.

Very interesting that the Onan produces an hour of juice every 3/4 gallon. Far less efficient to my Honda 3000, but I am only getting 23 amps out of the Honda and I assume ~50a from the Onan.

Again thanks to you both. Maybe we will see you both out on the trail.
2013 Elevation 3912
Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
New Camper

Well we had our madden voyage to the South Carolina Coast. Spent 4 days there and when we attempted to break down camp, I could net get the main slide back in all the way. Worked it back and for probably 15 times and tried to push it in and pull it in. Ultimately got it in. Found out that the slide was digging into the linoleum floor and peeled it back roughly 12 inches. I drove it straight to the dealer on Saturday, December 29th who is working with Crossroads to figure out what went wrong. In process of replacing the Linoleum.

Has anyone had any trouble with there slides?

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

The only problem we have had with our slides was a wire came unplugged on top of the motor. It came unplugged after it was fully extended. Had to remove the big decorative block on top corner to get access. It was very tight but was able to get it plugged backin after about an hour delay. I am not convinced these schwinteck slide systems are that good. Quite a bit of bad info on the web, mainly the first gen systems for the bedroom slides. Really hoping they hold up over time.

There's several you tube videos from lippert about how to fix them and manually disengage the motors. Highly recommend watching them, I am afraid we are going to need them....sooner or later.
2wheelglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
New Camper

Yes 2wheelglider, you are correct about learning how to manual disengage the motors. I have heard that from others as well. I hope you are wrong about the Schwinteck slides as I have 3 of them to worry about. One thing for sure, they like to eat at the rubber gasket that seems to rub along side all the slides. I took out a 7 year extended warranty on my unit just for this one very issue of the newer side mechanisms.
2013 Elevation 3912
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

The SCHWINTEK slides are very sensitive to alignment/support. When we had alignment/support issues with our bed slide (initial design issue) it ruined the front gear rail. The complete system was replaced. The front and rear motors need to be in synch. and the slide needs to be properly supported with rollers of some sort when it goes in and out of the unit.</span>
</span>
My opinion - they are great for small/light weight slides - not large slides.</span>
</span>
I can e-mail you pictures of the redesign of our slide system. You may find out that there may be a similar re-design that is needed for your sldes(s). Do not expect a "re-call" - you will only get a fix when it has failed. We were without our rig from mid September to the mid December. CrossRoads was very helpful but the CW dealer had no desire to fix the trailer in a timely fashion. I had to contact the President of Camping World to get them rolling and they were still slow.</span>
Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
New Camper

Well my Elevation 3912 is still in the shop at the selling Dealership trying to figure out the issues with the main slide. Dealer replaced the torn up floor and rug on the slide. Brought everything into spec and tested the slide successfully numerous times. Felt the issue was resolved and was caused by the carpet binding under the slide which tore up the Linoleum.

We drove to the Dealership (several hundred miles) to pick up the trailer and of course tested the slide for myself. Unfortunately the slide was still malfunctioning. When retracting the main slide, it would stop short by 3-5 inches. Front side of slide would complete but the back side would hang up. After a few attempts of extending out a few inches then retracting, the slide would fully seat. The dealership attempted to troubleshoot and fix by replacing the slide computer controller a few times with no success. Adjusted the Controller to send a stronger signal to the slide motors with no success. Then replaced the slide motors with stronger ones (? c.3s to c.5s?). Still no luck. I left it at the dealership to continue to troubleshoot and fix completely.

The dealership has spoken with Crossroads HQ (as we have too). Supposedly getting Lippert (slide manufacturer)involved. Learned today from the Crossroads Customer Service Rep that we have built a relationship with that Crossroads suggest there may be a wiring issue. They are expediting new wiring/harnesses to the Dealership to see if this resolves this problem.

I will update what happens. Becoming more frustrated with the process and inability to use our new purchase. At this point the dealership has had our new trailer longer than we have had it on our possession.

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
New Camper

Fla-Buckeye, did you ever verify the source of the 4 drain lines. I just bought a TF3612 and have the same setup...and the same questions. Thanks.
ogrejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Keep us posted - I think Lippert worked with CrossRoads to fix the design issues with our rig. Unfortunately they did not fix mine as soon as they knew they had the design issue - no "recall".

Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
New Camper

I to am having problems with my slides. The kitchen slide is hanging up and causing the time wasting back and forth issues trying to get it in an out.
My seems to say the rollers broke and that was our problem. Not sure if that's going to fix it but we will see.
Going on 5 weeks without unit and they had longer than me...
MINDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

not really sure what you are saying, can you please clear it up? thanks

2013 Elevation 3612
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
New Camper

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to 5th wheelers. I'm from Australia and looking to import one. Can anybody measure the exact width of their Elevation toy Hauler for me? We can only go 8'2" wide over here. Some of the specs say 8' and some say 8'6" . One means its a goer and the other means it will get destroyed at the port. Thanks in advance.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" =tableBorder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =msgOddTableSide vAlign=top rowSpan=3>Camper

<TD style="HEIGHT: 15px" =msgOddTableTop vAlign=top> Post Options
<DIV id=postMenu3 =dropDownMenu><a href="http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/new_reply_&#102;orm.asp?TID=6281&amp;PN=2&amp;TR=1 4" rel="nofollow">

Post Reply</A><a href="http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/new_reply_&#102;orm.asp?Quote=1&amp;PID=53604&amp; PN=2&amp;TR=14" rel="nofollow">

Quotestevenrees</A><a href="http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/edit_post_&#102;orm.asp?PID=53604&amp;PN=1" rel="nofollow">

Edit Post</A> Thanks(0)
<DIV id=postThanksMsg3 =dropDownMenu> QuoteReply Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 2:24pm</TD></TR>
<TR style="MIN-HEIGHT: 200px; HEIGHT: 200px" =msgOddTableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top>
<DIV =msg>I own a 2013 3612 with the 5500 generator, We primarily use the trailer to stay at motocross tracks around texas while my son races. I fill up the 30 gal gas tank, and it will last approx 48 hours ( give or take). This is in the texas summer with 2 A/c running mostly full time. I always bring a extra 5 gallon can just in case, I have used the extra can on a few extra hot weekends.

Keep in mind that we use our 5-er like a extra home, so the microwave / TV .DVD / refridgerator/ furnace if needed, whenever we want with no problems

The low point drainsare red=hot / blue=cold / white is overflow for water tank and the last hose is an overflow for the grey tank. I was told this by the service mngr at the explore usa dealership we bought it from. If this is not accurate please let me know.

Steve Rees</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

2013 Elevation 3612
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center ="tableBorder">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top rowSpan=3 ="msgOddTableSide">2011
<TD style="HEIGHT: 15px" vAlign=top ="msgOddTableTop"> Post Options
<DIV id=postMenu3 ="dropDownMenu"><a href="http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/new_reply_&#102;orm.asp?TID=6281&amp;PN=2&amp;TR=1 4" rel="nofollow">

Post Reply</A><a href="http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/new_reply_&#102;orm.asp?Quote=1&amp;PID=53604&amp; PN=2&amp;TR=14" rel="nofollow">

Quotestevenrees</A><a href="http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/edit_post_&#102;orm.asp?PID=53604&amp;PN=1" rel="nofollow">

Edit Post</A> Thanks(0)
<DIV id=postThanksMsg3 ="dropDownMenu"> QuoteReply Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 2:24pm</TD></TR>
<TR style="MIN-HEIGHT: 200px; HEIGHT: 200px" ="msgOddTableRow">
<TD vAlign=top ="msgLineDevider">
<DIV ="msg">I own a 2013 3612 with the 5500 generator, We primarily use the trailer to stay at motocross tracks around texas while my son races. I fill up the 30 gal gas tank, and it will last approx 48 hours ( give or take). This is in the texas summer with 2 A/c running mostly full time. I always bring a extra 5 gallon can just in case, I have used the extra can on a few extra hot weekends.

Steve Rees</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

2013 Elevation 3612
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

sorry about the double post, I am new to doing this. Thanks for understanding

Steve

2013 Elevation 3612
Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
New Camper

My dealer said that the rollers on the slide were broken and that is one reason it was having problems going in and out. They,so said that it was out of square when built. Not sure about that but we will see if it works when it comes back. Not sure though why the dealer takes so long to fix stuff.
MINDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINDGUY
My dealer said that the rollers on the slide were broken and that is one reason it was having problems going in and out. They,so said that it was out of square when built. Not sure about that but we will see if it works when it comes back. Not sure though why the dealer takes so long to fix stuff.

Why it takes so long - my story with issues with the bed slide on our unit.

1. Dealer lets the RV sit on the lot for 2 weeks before they even look at it (I was on vacation in CA and did not follow up on repairs until I got home)
2. Service dept. has to gets authorization from Crossroads to investigate the problem.</span>
3. Service department has to send details of problem to Crossroads</span>
4. Service department is slow getting authorization from crossroads to perform the repairs</span>
5. Service department gets authorization to perform the repairs</span>
6. Crossroads know that there was design flaw with the trailer and does not ensure that the dealer will get all of the correct parts to perform the repairs.</span>
7. Dealer first tries to get the parts from original vendor. No response from original vendor (Lippert).</span>
8. I get more involved (contacted the presidents of Camping World and Crosssroads RV)</span>
5. Service dept. and Crossroads RV get on a telecon to determine what parts need to be ordered to perform the repairs. Crossroads RV to provide parts.</span>
6. Parts come in then the dealer.
7. Parts department does not speak to the service department - repairs are delayed.
8. Parts department speaks to the service department
9 Unit is scheduled for repairs
10. Repairs are not made per crossroads instructions.
First problem - Service person does not follow the detailed instructions and so not all of the parts are installed. This was partially due to not all of the parts being delivered when ordered. Also,</span>Crossroads assumed that the dealer would use some of their "own" parts and that the RV dealer had personnel that could follow basic instructions (including step by step instructions/pictures taken on the shop floor).</span>
Second problem - poor workmanship by service department causes more problems.</span>
11. More parts are ordered.
12 Wrong parts come in
13 Parts are re-ordered
14 Parts come in
15. Repair has to be scheduled again
16. Repairs are faulty (bed comes disconnected from the wall) and the repairs are re-done again.
17. RV sits on lot for 2 weeks
17. Repairs are scheduled again
18. Repairs are made again.

So after 3 months the trailer is finally repaired (hopefully) - only problem it is the first week of December and the camping season is over.

Hopefully your story will not end up like mine.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #20
New Camper

Hi Steve,
I see you tow your 3612 with 2500hd. I also have 2500hd and ordered a 3612.
How is your pin weight and towing this trailer? What mileage are you getting? Any issues with your trailer?

Thanks
Frank
ofd163 is offline   Reply With Quote