Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Back to subject. I would go with auto slide but if the 15,000 is a slide bar hitch I would change to a lock jaw hitch. I believe there is less chucking.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #22
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier
Dayle1, I'm sorry you feel the need to defend the Sidewinder so vehemently. I did not say it put MORE stress on the frame, just that it put a twisting stress which is in a different plane than the straight ahead hitch position.

Please don't read meaning into my anlysis that is not present.

Again, Let's just go camping

Marvin,

It isn't the Sidewinder I'm defending, it is accurate information sharing that I am defending. Inaccurate or careless info is sometimes worse than no info. You did say "additional stress", so thanks for your clarification.

Lsrry Day

What does this say about this type of hitch?

Just pulled this off the BW website....

We have been made aware of a product that is of special concern. This product replaces the pin box on a 5th wheel trailer and changes the pivot point from the hitch jaws to a point rearward of the hitch. It is our opinion that this configuration creates stress loads that fall outside the normal testing done on 5th wheel hitches. We are concerned that moving the pivot point rearward as much as 20 inches puts stress on the hitch (and the truck) that has not been widely studied. Therefore, we strongly discourage the use of our Companion 5th Wheel Hitch with one of these pin boxes. Any product that prevents the king pin from rotating within the jaws of the Companion with a wedge or other device and moves the center of rotation to a point other than the locking jaws should not be used with the Companion.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Well Marvin, I have been using a Sidewinder on our trailer (came with it from the factory) since 2008 and knock on wood no issues. You can bring this up again and beat it to death and I have yet to read about any issues with the pin box on this or other forums. If you are that worried about them don't buy one.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Well Hunter, is isn't the Sidewinder I'm taking about, it is the statement you made: "It isn't the Sidewinder I'm defending, it is accurate information sharing that I am defending. Inaccurate or careless info is sometimes worse than no info." and backing up my earlier, apparently correct assessment of the side stresses put on the front frame of the trailer.
I am glad you haven't had any issues and wish you all the luck in the future, but if you will consult any mechanical engineer you might happen to know, he can explain the "moments" and forces on the frame.

I'm done.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Ahh having a slow day Marvin? I didn't make the statement you posted, Larry Day did.

"Marvin,

It isn't the Sidewinder I'm defending, it is accurate information sharing that I am defending. Inaccurate or careless info is sometimes worse than no info. You did say "additional stress", so thanks for your clarification.

Lsrry Day"

I am glad you are done, you have beat this dead horse long enough.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier

What does this say about this type of hitch?

Just pulled this off the BW website....

We have been made aware of a product that is of special concern. This product replaces the pin box on a 5th wheel trailer and changes the pivot point from the hitch jaws to a point rearward of the hitch. It is our opinion that this configuration creates stress loads that fall outside the normal testing done on 5th wheel hitches. We are concerned that moving the pivot point rearward as much as 20 inches puts stress on the hitch (and the truck) that has not been widely studied. Therefore, we strongly discourage the use of our Companion 5th Wheel Hitch with one of these pin boxes. Any product that prevents the king pin from rotating within the jaws of the Companion with a wedge or other device and moves the center of rotation to a point other than the locking jaws should not be used with the Companion.

This issue is unique to the Companion hitch. If you understand how this hitch mounts, it uses the single 2 inch square tube that B&W uses for their gooseneck ball mount. Neither a gooseneck ball nor a normal fifth wheel hitch head puts any twisting stress on the square tube, but move the pivot point behind the hitch and now the B&W square tube does experience significant twisting stress. Almost all other fiver hitches have four mounting points that are at the extreme corners of the hitch and are better able to resist twisting. My understanding is that B&W does approve use of the Sidewinder with the Companion IF four extra bolts are used to secure the Companion hitch to the truck frame (like other hitches). Only problem is this defeats the ez removal of the Companion which is one of it's biggest selling points.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
Seasonal Camper

I have the PullRite SuperGlide 16K installed in a 2008 Chevy 2500HD pulling a 2011 Seville with the TrailAir Tri-Glide 18K pinbox. We've pulled the unit up and down both I-75 and I-70 to and from North Carolina and Missouri.

This was our first 5th wheel but I looked at the hitches from a engineering and convenience standpoint. I didn't want to have to get out and unlatch the hitch to slide it back. I also wanted a clear bed when the hitch was out. I got both with the SuperGlide.

What I can tell you is that with any of the GM units after 2008, you'll need the hitch lift kit to get bed clearance. This could be true of other hitches but I can't speak to that. What I can tell you is that with the lift kit, backing is much easier as I don't have to worry about remodeling the bed on a tight turn.

We all have our favorite hitches. Would I have gone with the SuperGlide unless we got it in the deal on the Seville. Probably not due to cost but I suspect that after looking at the various hitches there at the dealer, it wasn't hard to make the choice.

With the SuperGlide, you will need a capture plate to make it work as engineered. Not that it's a big deal, you just have to be aware of it. When you are hooking up, you do have to hit the pinbox pretty well straight on. You get a 16° +/- either side of perpendicular. Outside that window, you need to try again.

Just my experience with what we have.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote