Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
Family Vacation Member

why buy the same old steel lines when you can buy stainless for a little more and fix the problem for as long as you are going to keep the truck ?

I didn't pay much over $200.00 for a full set of stainless, and Fine Lines is offering them on eBay for $255.00 with free shipping. (actually free shipping is built in, they are less than 5 miles from the house so I simply drove there and picked them up same as going to Summit Racing)

When I called the local GM dealer about their so-called kit, they wanted more than what I have into the lines, the stainless braided lines and the cost to have the dealer bleed them. I believe they told me 4 to 5 hundred for the lines for my 2500HD crew cab.

if you go back to my post above, I put the link to Fine Lines. Summit Racing also carries pre-bent lines by another company. There are 3 companies that I know of that make pre-bent lines (probably more) Inline Tube, another one and Fine Lines. All are the same quality.

a good read here

http://www.inlinetube.com/Preformed%...-99-06Main.htm

a generic Google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=silv...m=122&ie=UTF-8

some of the next projects will be stainless in the metal sections of the transmission cooler lines and the fuel lines. I have a diesel, so my lines are different than the gas trucks, but principals and concerns are the same for all of us

luckily for me, I blew the brake line in the driveway. I was moving the trailer for some reason and the pedal went to the floor.

GM ABS units are supposed to have a balancing valve in the case of line failure. Ours did not function correctly.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Check to see that the e break is fully released.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Parking brake switch ?

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

I reset the light by disconnecting battery. Looking to replace all lines over the winter.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I reset the light by disconnecting battery. Looking to replace all lines over the winter.
I have a hunch it might come back on.

When we lost the line going to the rear, I bled the system using the tube into the jar of brake fluid and ran a lot through. I was at the point of no bubbles, just good clean fluid pushing through. Additionally, I always end up with the 2 person method of pump up the brakes, hold them, release the pressure and tighten the bleeder while the brake pedal is still depressed.

Intermittently, that warning came on. After I did the the remainder of the lines and had the system bled at a dealership, the warning has not returned.

From the research that I did, we can get them close by taking them out on a gravel road and stomping on the brakes to get the ABS unit to kick in,

BUT

the ABS unit will never be entirely flushed of air without the use of a Tech2 to cycle the valves.

Be prepared to use a few quarts of brake fluid. All together, my truck took 5 quarts, 3 I used and 2 the dealership used, to get all the air out.

The Russell braided lines have made the system better than when I bought it.

These trucks can also get a bit of corrosion under the ABS sensor seat on the front wheels. You clean the seat and re-install and that will sometimes clear up some errors as the sensor gets pushed too far away from reading the magnet.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote

« Paid off | Antares »