Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

weigh station

Being a truck driver weigh station so are a fact of life. On occasion I have seen RVS pull into the scales. Are they required to?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

No not really. Some folks just want to weigh thweir units to make certain they are no over weight for their trucks.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Weigh stations are only required for commercial vehicles. If I wanted to weigh my rig I would do it at a private scale. I would think if over the limit and not able to correct the DOT official would have a obligation to write you up or WORSE.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The rvs you see at weigh station might be ones being towed by commercial haulers to deliver to a dealership. Many choose to weigh their rigs at cat scales simply to know their weights and make sure they are within spec. I have also used them to help setup my wdh on my old tt. I always like to check my trailers weights once loaded. Doing so allowed me to know my loaded tt weight and tongue weight and now my loaded fiver weight and pin weight. Typically you are not required to weigh in at a weigh station but there are stories out there of occasional spot checks by police using portable scales or a sign telling rvers to pull in and get weighed. These stories are few and far between. For the most part, skip the scales unless directed in or hauling commercially.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Exclamation Weigh Stations Laws by State

And now the rest of the story. Check out your state and the states you are traveling through. A lot of the results surprised me.

Weigh Stations Laws by State

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Mark according to that I should always stop at a weigh station even without my trailer. Oops, never have and it has never been an issue.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Site Team

I was shocked at some of the vehicles required to stop in some states. I have never seen any travel trailer, 5th wheel (or a dually) in line at any state's weigh station.

They'll have to come after me if they want to weigh me, I mean my Rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Team

Where AAA fell short in this article was not defining what a "truck" is in each state. According to the article, I would have to stop my Silverado every time I pass a weigh station in Virginia because its GVWR is over 7,500 lbs. However, Virginia refers to trucks as only commercial vehicles. Private vehicles do not have to stop at weigh stations.

The only state that concerned me in the article was PA because the article said "large recreational vehicles", again without defining "large".

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Well I wouldn't be surprised if my 40' full profile fiver fell into the large recreational vehicle list. That said it may also be another commercial annotation not listed there. I won't pull in unless instructed to do so.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Had my weight checked at a Davis Truck stop along I95 in Virgina. Just wanted to see what the truck and trailer weight was. Davis Travel Center #108 - 12461 Old Stage Road, Warfield, VA, 23889

Have been driving larger RVs since 1991 - have never had to stop for a weigh station or pulled over for a temp. inspection station at the rest areas.
Have traveled in all of the following states with a motor home pulling a car or a truck pulling a fifth wheel.

In New York pickup trucks have commercial plates. and are not allowed on some thru ways.

NY,MA,OH,IL,ID,IA,MT,WY,SD,ND.MN,WA,ID,WI,ME,NH,VT ,CT,VA,PA,NC,SC,GA,FL,Al, MD,WV,KY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

We had our truck and trailer weighed last year at the grain elevators nearby. Farmers have their hoppers weighed there in order to get paid by weight for their product. The scale is very large and can accommodate at transport truck. They charge $5 for weighing. After getting the weight of the trailer and truck, we disconnected the truck and weighed the trailer alone. It's nice to know this kind of stuff, but we are leery of scales associated with the government.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We had our truck and trailer weighed last year at the grain elevators nearby. Farmers have their hoppers weighed there in order to get paid by weight for their product. The scale is very large and can accommodate at transport truck. They charge $5 for weighing. After getting the weight of the trailer and truck, we disconnected the truck and weighed the trailer alone. It's nice to know this kind of stuff, but we are leery of scales associated with the government.
Why are you leery of scales associated with the government?
Which country, U.S. or Canada?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Why are you leery of scales associated with the government?
Which country, U.S. or Canada?
Both. If you are overweight, they may detain you. We prefer to know the weight with no strings attached.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Team

I think your fears are groundless. I don't know of any weigh stations operated by the state where you are required to stop.
I agree with you that it's good to know what your rig weighs.
All public and commercial scales are suppose to be certified by Dept. of weights and measures. They also check the gas stations periodically to make sure their pumps are delivering what you are getting charged for.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I pull new RV's from In. all over the country the fed gov require all commercial vehicles to stop at scales if open which means if you have signs on the side of your truck you have to stop the only state you as a rver have to worry about is Wyoming the get you if your rv is over 1o2 wide and that includes the width of the rv plus the slideout toppers the will require you to get a oversize permit to go threw their state yes we have been stopped when I pull my rv I do not stop at scalea any where Jim&Carol