Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
New Camper

We own a Sunset Trail 30BH. I just recently noticed on a couple of occasions that there was moisture or condensation on the top of the nightstand beside the main bed in the front end. I initially thought it might be a leak but found no trace of moisture anywhere other than on top of the nightstand. This happened during very humid outdoor conditions in Western North Carolina. Has anyone ever experienced this and what are your thoughts?

Yetidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

maybe your missing some insulation in those areas?

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
New Camper

I suppose that's a possibility. I have the upgraded insulation package. I was hopefull that someone else may have seen this. There are closets directly above the nightstands on each side of the bed. It just doesn't make much sence with the fact that there is no moisture anywhere else to be found. If it were coming from somewhere else it looks like there would be moisture on the wall or in the closet area.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I think the front end of a 30BH is the same as my 31QB. We almost got a 30BH instead.

I'm curious what the outside temps were. You said it was humid outside, but I wonder if it was cool and humid (so you had the heat on?) or warm and humid (so you had the AC on?)

If I remember right the front of the 30BH is the same as my 31QB. Beneath those nightsands is the propane storage area on the left, and a drawer then the pass through storage area on the right. I bet there is no insulation beneath those countertop type surfaces of the nightstands. I think the insulation package only applies to the rating of the outside walls of the unit.

So, my guess is it was cool outside, and you had the heat on? That would make sense to me because then the countertops would be cooler from the unheated storage are beneath it. As moisture builds up inside the unit, condensation might appear on those nightstands before it would on the walls, since the walls are insulated.

Anyway, that is just a guess on my part, I hope you solve the mystery!

2006 Expedition
Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
New Camper

This happened within the last few weeks. The outside conditions were warm (mid 80's)with some intermittentrain(very muggy). I did have the air conditioning unit running. I believe I had the thermostat set on 72-75 degree F so it wasn't running alot but enough to keep the inside comfortable. You are correct about the propane and storage compartments directly under the nightstands. The strange thing is that we have camped in these types of conditions before and I've never noticed this but I suppose since it seems to be isolated to the nightstand it could have been overlooked.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

hmm, I'm stumped then! We have to figure out why the nightstand surface was colder than the air in your RV - since that is the condition where condensation would be expected.

2006 Expedition
Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
New Camper

Based on your analysis I am thinking that since the A/C wasn't running alot at a setting of around 75F then the outside temps may have dropped somewhat during and after the rain which could explain why the A/C wasn't running much and why the nightstand surface may have been cooler than the inside temps of the camper since there is no insulation directly under them. If this is the case I wonder if slightly opening the bedroom windows wouldeliminate or helpthis issue?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I had this problem on ours and found that the putty seals on the marker lamps was cracked all the way around the lamps and was leaking down on our nightstands . The dealership is supposed to replace the whole front of our TT and countertops. You can actually see warpage on the front fiberglass under the marker lights about 3-4 ft long. Edited by: Greenhorn

LT22BH EQ2 Tekonsha Prodigy P2

Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote