Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
New Camper

32RL slide topper

Hello, I just purchased a 2014 Sunset Trails 32RL and I asked for slide toppers to be installed. The dealer told me they would put two on, one on each of the larger slide outs. However, when I arrived at the dealer for my walk through they said they were only able to put a slide topper on the "back" slide, due to the camp side slide having an awning mounted to it. I have however seen a picture (taken by my parents at an RV show) of another RV with an awning on its slide having a slide topper. Has anyone been able to have a slide topper installed on the camp side slide?
Dbornhorstjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
New Camper

I saw someone else had the same problem on here. Not sure what came of it. I don't think on my Rv there is enough room to fit it in, but it's a different model. I would call crossroads and ask them.
Dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Ill give that a shot
Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We decided to not do a slide topper on the kitchen slide because we almost always have the awning out, covering the top of that slide anyway. Even if we roll the awning in during windy weather, we typically leave it out the 2 feet to cover the top of that slide. Honestly, I'm not sure if we even could have gotten a topper in there - as it is if we don't make sure the awning it taut it will sit on the top of the slide. At any rate, we haven't missed having a slide topper on that side of the camper at all.
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
New Camper

On the 32RL the second awning is actually attached to the front of the slide. So there is actually no awning over the slide
Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Ah! I should have looked at that specific model.
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbornhorstjr View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 2014 Sunset Trails 32RL and I asked for slide toppers to be installed. The dealer told me they would put two on, one on each of the larger slide outs. However, when I arrived at the dealer for my walk through they said they were only able to put a slide topper on the "back" slide, due to the camp side slide having an awning mounted to it. I have however seen a picture (taken by my parents at an RV show) of another RV with an awning on its slide having a slide topper. Has anyone been able to have a slide topper installed on the camp side slide?
We just bought a 2015 32RL and have the same issue w/ the slide toppers. We're getting 2 installed but the dealer said a topper could not be installed on the kitchen slide due to the awning. Talked to the Service Manager at the Lafayette RV show yesterday and he mentioned the same thing...that a kitchen slide topper could not be installed. If you look at the awning supports, it makes sense. No room.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
New Camper

Yes I thought the same thing, however i've seen another manufacturer actually do it
Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Remember....anything can be done...for a price!!
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We had the same issue. I called crossroads and they checked with the engineering folks. No-can-do on that front slide.
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
derekrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

What about having the awning remove from the slide and place onto the trailer, I know it would have to be a longer one. I asking since I'm awaiting for ours to come in. I ask to have all three slides topped. So far wasn't told it couldn't be done. I thinking the dealer doesn't know or just didn't want me to back out of the deal.

Ray
Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Could be a couple issues with that.
One, is there room between the slide and trailer roof to mount it?
Two, if the slide comes out far enough, it might hit the awning if it was mounted on the trailer. Meaning the awning would have to extend out pretty flat to clear.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantabe View Post
What about having the awning remove from the slide and place onto the trailer, I know it would have to be a longer one. I asking since I'm awaiting for ours to come in. I ask to have all three slides topped. So far wasn't told it couldn't be done. I thinking the dealer doesn't know or just didn't want me to back out of the deal.

Ray
I don't think that's a very good idea. I think you will cause more problems for yourself than what you would gain by adding the topper. The awning on the slide itself extends rather far making a very large, shaded and dry area to enjoy. I wouldn't move it.

I was also told a topper could not be installed on the wardrobe slide as neither Dometic nor CareFree make one that small. So, instead of 3 toppers...we're getting just the one. What we are doing though, is trying to design something portable that I can add to the kitchen slide that fits well and looks like it belongs there. Gonna take several iterations I'm sure, but my wife (the engineer) is all over it at this point...and she's pretty good.
Allison Transmission
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

What color is your slide topper?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Hello all fellow campers! Can't wait to start camping , first one in a week, going to Gettysburgh. ( Drummer Boy Camp Ground ) On to the topper, We have been camping for a number of years, Our last camper did have the topper on it, After five years , the material started to rot and rip. Yes it was nice to not get those leaves, small branches on the top of the slider, But with this new camper, I will trade that for the shade on the camping side with those two awnings. I now take a leave blower and just blow off the stuff that is on top. A little extra work when packing up. but only take about 5 or so minites. All enjoy the new camping season.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKT4387 View Post
What color is your slide topper?
Black.
Allison Transmission
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Follow up, I ask our dealer about he slide topper for the st32rl model. He check into it and stated that there no topper out there for the passenger side slide (kitchen slide) and none for the wardrobe slide on the driver side. It is to small. So the only slide topper that can be mounted would be on the driver side rear slide (chair/dinnette slide). This will be one of my first MOD when I get it (can't wait). My big a>? is not good for the roof to clean out the slides.

Ray
Old 04-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantabe View Post
Follow up, I ask our dealer about he slide topper for the st32rl model. He check into it and stated that there no topper out there for the passenger side slide (kitchen slide) and none for the wardrobe slide on the driver side. It is to small. So the only slide topper that can be mounted would be on the driver side rear slide (chair/dinnette slide). This will be one of my first MOD when I get it (can't wait). My big a>? is not good for the roof to clean out the slides.

Ray
That's the same info I got from my dealer and posted earlier. I plan to make one for the kitchen slide and just be diligent in slide cleaning and seal maintenance. That should suffice.
Allison Transmission
Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
New Camper

please be sure to post apic of your home made topper! id love to try and make one!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I as soon as I get it i will start working on it. Do have a couple of ideal but have to wait for the TT to come in....Should be getting it this weekend..Been a long wait. Have to install sewer storage tube first,back up lights,back up camera. Then I will be putting all my time in the topper's...As stated before, my big A!@ don't want to be climbing up there to clean before closing every time.
2015 Sunset ST32RL

Tags
32rl, slide cover, slide topper