Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Did your Cruiser come with locking bars for the slideouts? We have just pulled our Cruiser fiver for the first time on a long trip, 1500 miles so far. We have no bars. I'm seeing some rubbing and vibration wear (slight opening of the mitered corners) on the trim for the slideout opening on the trailer body. One corner was bad enough I had to caulk it and the other three could probably stand to be caulked soon too. It's possible this wouldn't be happening with locking bars.

So I'm wondering if ours had them as new, but they got discarded before we bought it used.

Edited by: snowman9000

2004 Chevy Duramax CC SB

Honda eu2000i
snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

As far as I know, no cruisers come with slideout locking bars. Neither of ours did and haven't noticed any problems.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Neither of our Cruisers came with locking bars. Our '04 had many miles on it including several trips of 4k to 6k miles. Never had a problem. Can you post some pics?

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Ours didn't come with any locking bars either. The Lance truck camper we owned, had heavy rubber (short) straps with a ball on the end and that fit into a holder on the wall when the slide was pulled in. Probably for preventing the the slide from going out if anything let go while traveling.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

No locking bars on mine nor have I seen any on a Crossroads product.Maybe just age related how old is used?

Flyone
Old 02-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Locking bars were far more popular several years ago when there were lots of hydraulic operated slides, I guess just in case a hose broke.

The rack and pinion type slides are effectively locked in place by the gear reduction and the permanent magnet motor drive. They should not move.

I have never been a fan of the bars as I believe in Murphy's law, sooner or later someone will try to extend the slide with the bar in place and that could be expensive.

Depending on how the slide is adjusted in the opening there should be less than 1/4" of movement unless something is loose, broken, or you are on very rough roads.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think Bipe Flier is right or that is the only thing I can think of. I do know of a case in a motor home where a friend said he got air in the lines to his slide and on a turn it started to come out. I have never seen a electric slide move while driving.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

After some thought your opinion on bars I think that using them and exerting inward pressure on the outside mouldings could cause more of a trim misalignment by trying to invert them.

I have towed many thousands of miles with three different rigs without bars and never a problem. Maybe your slides need to be adjusted to put enough presuure on them on in or out travel to be stable. JMHO jb
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Here are two photos of the worst corner. As soon as I saw this, I caulked it. The other corners are not pulled away from the filon like this one, but there is some slight separation of the 45ยบ miter in the corners of the trim.

I can't get it to show in a photo, but the wall is bulging outward a bit at that corner. I'm afraid the wall frame has broken or something. But it doesn't move in or out in reaction to hand pushing or slide pushing from out or inside. And it has not gotten any worse. So maybe it's just the way it was framed up, and they had to conform the wall to fit. Before this trip, there was no gap there, and I didn't notice anything wrong. But maybe the gap was there but caulked and not noticeable. The traveling is rubbing off any caulk that sits above the surface. (The prior owner kept this trailer at a seasonal site, so it never really went very far.)

If the frame isn't moving inside the wall, then my next idea was that the slides are rubbing and banging during travel. That's why I asked about the locking bars.Edited by: snowman9000

2004 Chevy Duramax CC SB

Honda eu2000i
snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Thanks for posting the pics. I think that maybe the header above the slide out has broken away from the vertical stud. There are a couple reasons to rule out other issues. Since the unit was at a seasonal site, the slide was rarely operated to create any pressure between the slide out and the wall. Besides, the SO mechanism drives the SO from the bottom so very little operating force is applied to the top of the SO or the wall.

It is possible that with the slide out open constantly and maybe too much weight on it, that could have caused a problem. But even that is very unlikely, excess weight would more likely have pulled the inside trim loose rather than damage the wall. That is because the inside trim is attached with a few screws after the SO is installed thru the wall opening while the aluminum wall framing is glued and screwed together.

There is one more possibility, since the SO was closed during the off season, as evidence by the outline of the outer seal against the wall. Maybe the seal stuck because the SO was closed so long and then when opened the seal pulled the outside trim loose, but the wall framing is fine. If the wall bulge is only on the outside but not on the inside, then this is the more likely case with the outside trim and skin separating from the main framing. A fix would require removing the SO, then the outside trim, applying RV grade construction adhesive where the skin has separated from the aluminum studs and then reinstalling the outside trim and SO.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

By the looks of the first photo the verticalframe memberhas slipped down or was installed that incorrectly as it doesn't match the Mitre at the bottom of the joint. You might get lucky and be able to fudge it back in place by exerting upwards pressure on the bottom of it to push it up. That would cause the gap to close up a bunch & if you can secure it in that position you could then do a good caulking job on it & be good to go.JMHO jb
Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Just a picture to point out John's comments on the Mitre's.

Looks like the vertical PC has just slipped inward and down. Top looks fine.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

Agree with Dayle. Good information.