Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
New Camper

This was supposed to be our retirement trailer but it almost bankrupt us. First trip the TV, didn't work, Second trip the hot water tank went, while waiting (2 months for the parts for it) the microwave broke and the exit window flooded the bedroom. Picked it up after getting the hot water tank fixed and upon reaching campground found the awning motor had blown. Each time I had to take it in for service it cost me $100.00 each way for gas not to mention food and other expense. Got awning fixed and then found the wheel weels have been leaking on the floor under the dinette and slide. We finally asked crossroads to replace the unit or give us a break on trading up and they choose to do nothing, so we lost around $5000.00 on the whole deal. I wouldn't wish this product on anyone the quility is very substandard and the company won't admit when they have a bad unit.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Sooo---what is this unit, and where did you purchase it?
Have you addressed these issues with the selling dealer?
Have you contacted CR directly (yourself) and discussed the problems with them?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
New Camper

The unit was a Slingshot 29BH it was purchased at the Hershy RV show in Pa. It was being serviced in Akron, Oh as this was the closest Camping World dealer to me. I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. The selling dealer was in NY.
I addressed all the issues with crossroads myself and was on a first name bases with one of the managers. When all of the problems this unit had became to overwhelming to handle anymore and we wanted out of it he didn't even want to talk to us then. The air conditioner was starting to act up and they couldn't admit the unit was a lemon.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I am very sorry to hear you had all of those problems! We are half-way through our 2nd season of camping with our 2011 Slingshot 29BH and it has been an absolute dream. We only had a few minor problems with it early on, but have had no issues since. I hope you are able to come to a satisfactory conclusion to this - rather it is getting out of the unit altogether or getting the problems fixed

2011 Slingshot 29BHS

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...29BHwithTV.jpg
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
New Camper

We did get out of the unit by tradeing it for another trailer (not a Crossroads) since Crossroads was unwilling to help us out on trade or a new unit. It got to costly to keep running the lemon in for each thing that kept failing which was every time we used it and we camp all summer. I just feel sorry for who ever ends up with this unit.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yeah I hear ya. I have a sunset trail st31bh reserve it is only 3 weeks old and has been at the dealer more than in my yard. Noting but problems. The cosmetic problem list was long and the mechanical issues are starting to get more serious as the days go by. At the moment I have leaks that the dealer are unable to fix.

This is my second Crossroads product and my last. It is sad because I love the layout and the features of my trailer. However when I last checked a waterfall was not one of those features.

Tommorrow I pick it up at the dealer and use it for camping then on the way home I will be dropping it of at the dealer again for more repairs. I guess the only good thing is that it is not taking up sapce in the driveway. I got free storage at the dealer.

stokesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
New Camper

I feel for you, I really do. If I'd known in Oct what I know now I'd never have bought anything Crossroads put their name on. There quality sucks.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
New Camper

I hear you. I have a 2012 32qb and its been nothing but problems too. I should have known when the day i picked it up the knee all around the dinette cracked and it has been down hill from there from the water heater leaking to the outside lights not working and now i also have a waterfall in the front bedroom closet
hppycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
New Camper

Also I've already had to have the refridgerator replaced since that leaked all the gas out. And I also have asked Crossroads to get out of this camper and trade for another one. If I have another problem after I get this latest problem fixed I will be contacting a lawyer
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Hmmm, 3 newer members appear bashing CR and their Slingshots. Makes me wonder how legit this is?

Many of us, including me, can offer personal testimonies of CR going above and beyond, with a consistent pattern of doing so over many years. Very few manufactured RVs come without an issue or two, no matter the manufacturer. Perhaps there are issues with individual units, perhaps it is the owners who are the problem. Either way, CR backs their warranty and has a proven track record of doing so.

redcloud - you clearly have an axe to grind. however, if CR is honoring the warranty, why would they or any manufacturer eat your loss on a trade? that makes no sense to me.

stokesj - if you were unhappy with your original CR why did you buy another?

happycamper - you don't say which unit you have and aren't very specific about your issues.

If y'all are having legitimate issues that are not covered by warranty, let's hear them. If you're having issues that are covered, you are inconvenienced and frustrated, that is understandable but certainly does not entitle you to either a refund nor a trade in allowance.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
New Camper

Well if you saw my first post i stated I have a 2012 32QB. I also stated that on the day on picked it up the knee wall around the dinette cracked as I leaned back on it while talking to the salesman during the walk through. Then from the bike rack that the dealer installed on the bumper the rear bumper twisted after one trip. The hot water heater leaked my fridge has also been replaced because the ammonia leaked out. Then the medicine cabinet fell apart and finally it is now back in the shop because the front wardrobe closet has a waterfall in it every time it rains
Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

HC, missed the model. I understand you're frustrated but everything is covered under warranty, right? If so, then CR is abiding by the terms of your agreement.

Rear mount bike racks are a known problem no matter the brand. There is a lot of torque back there (especially on bumper mounts) and whether new or old, can fail at any time. Hot water heater was probably a bad installation and the reefer failure is not a CR issue but rather a Norcold or Dometic issue or who ever manufactured it.

So some of it is on CR, some on the dealer (bike rack) and some on the reefer manufacturer. Lots of blame to pass around.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
New Camper

Absolutly alot of blame to pass around and I have been blaming alot of people lol. Yes everything has been covered under warranty but its still fustrating that every time i go out camping I'm bringing it right back to the repair shop for something else. It's to the point that when I'm going camping with my group of friends that we're taking bets on what is going to break or leak next.. Hopefully this will be it and i got the water leak early so i wont have an issue with any rotted wood. I just want to go out camping and not worry if something else will fail. Camping is supposed to fun and enjoyable and so far with this camper it hasn't been
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

When we got our Sunset Trail, we had the ceiling replaced inside the unit before we took delivery. This was in October. Manufacturing machine marks. A few other minor items we kept track of for warranty repair, but then in West Virginia the following July we came back to a water issue. Mobile repair covered, but it cost us a day. The lines were only hand tightened in the bypass area and they blew under pressure. Then had to take to the dealer to have the job completed and handle all the other minor issues. This was not our first trailer but our first new unit. Repairs all done to our satisfaction and no CR issues since.

2 years ago we also had a reefer issue out of warranty. At least we did not have to replace it. Repair was less than $300. But this was not a CR issue, it was a Norcold issue.

Our trailer is now on a season lease site and gets used way more than a towable should. It has held up well. So the question is, are we happy with it? YES! I would by this exact unit again, even knowing what has been repaired.

I know this is frustrating for you but hang in there. You're getting all the bugs worked out now an hopefully won't have any more. Wishing you the best!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 08-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I agree with Papa2, hang in there, it will get better. I just got my latest issue of Trailer Life Magazine and there is a huge section in there on how the reefers in our units work. I had no idea, I just new they were not at all like our AC units in our homes. There is so much that can go wrong, not to mention the pressure that the lines are under. So, having said that, if you travel roads like we all travel, and the bumps and holes come, well, chances are whatever is wrong you are going to find out real soon. Much like having a bad battery and winter is coming on, when it gets colder the battery will fail, for sure. JMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

I have a 2012 GT32QB and love it! We have had a couple minor issues like the black water tank and grey tanklabeledbackwards and the a/c not working. All fixed promptly by my dealer! My family and I have really enjoyed our unit so far this year! DW and I have talked about moving up to afifthwheel and I would not hesitate to get another Crossroads product!
AvyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I feel for the owners who have had problems. Given the number of units any manufacturer cranks out, there are bound to be a couple bad ones in the bunch. Whether CR, Jayco, Forest River, or whoever, sometimes a unit is just problematic.

That being said, CR has proven to us (and many on these forums) that they at least stand behind their product and do what they can to fix the problem. This is also why you don't buy from a NY dealer when you live in western PA (etc. etc.). We haven't had any major problems, and CR took care of the minor ones when we accepted delivery from the Akron, OH dealer mentioned.

Many dealerships are a pain to work with...but at least CR steps up if they need to get the job done. Our next unit willmost likely be a CR product.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #18
New Camper

I reside in Clarenville, NL., Canada and most of what I have read , while important to the owners, pale in comparison to what I am facing now. I need some time to put together the most accurate account of what has transpired with my 2012 Singshot 29BH. Hopefully when I lay out the complete story, those considering to buy any Crossroads product should really think long and hard before making a major purchase from this manufacturer. Hopefully by the end of the week my nightmare story will be added. Until then, Happy Holidays.
jdbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Check out the Boo Hiss Warranty. And you will get the New 12 Point Promise. Whoppee!!!

Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #20
New Camper

I've had my slingshot 27RB since Feb of 11. I've had a stereo replaced and the lighting mechanism for the gas fridge replaced. Other than that, it's been a solid camper. With all the bumps the trailer takes going down the road, I'm surprised that's all that has needed to be worked on.
john11v35 is offline   Reply With Quote