Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
Family Vacation Member

Mine doesnt even make a good radio antenna.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

I have a Sunset Trail Superlite - also curious about the antenna. Do I have to lower it for storage over the winter - concerned about the cover.
CrossHans44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

I've not heard anyone like the new style antenna...

I would recommend replacement with this
Old 08-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

My 2012 305skp had the Jensen Batwing antenna mounted behind the A/c, got very poor reception. CR told me to call Jensen, Jensen sent me new antenna, same thing. Called CR back and they sent me the winegard crank up antenna. Installed it and now have great tv reception. I was still under warranty so there was no costs.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728 View Post
My 2012 305skp had the Jensen Batwing antenna mounted behind the A/c, got very poor reception. CR told me to call Jensen, Jensen sent me new antenna, same thing. Called CR back and they sent me the winegard crank up antenna. Installed it and now have great tv reception. I was still under warranty so there was no costs.
Yep gotta love where CR mounts the antennas. Instructions PLAINLY states not to mount near anything else on roof, and no more than 10 foot of coax between amp and antenna. Mine was mounted between the bathroom and bedroom vents and there has to be 25 foot of coax to reach the darn thing. I am guessing no one at CR can read. I plan to mount a Winegard, but I will have pick a new location and hope I can fish the coax to that location.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #26
Family Vacation Member

I was able to use same hole as Jensen ant. Did have to drill a hole through roof so crank could come through. Luckily there was no A/C vents or wiring in the way. I was able to keep the old Jensen Antenna, mounted it on top of my workshop so now have great local channels in HD, works great when there is nothing between it and the TV stations

Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
I was able to use same hole as Jensen ant. Did have to drill a hole through roof so crank could come through. Luckily there was no A/C vents or wiring in the way. I was able to keep the old Jensen Antenna, mounted it on top of my workshop so now have great local channels in HD, works great when there is nothing between it and the TV stations
I would have no room for the Winegard to lie down in the present location.

2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #28
Family Vacation Member

It is best to have the ant. running parallel with the roof because of wind. I wasn't able to run mine parallel because the A/C was in the way. Ended up running it at about 30deg angle, so it misses the A/C. Cranking up is not problem because its over the top of A/C. When lowering always line up the marks on the handle and comes down just fine. Went on 3 month trip last summer out west and had no problem with wind catching it. You may look at mounting at slight angle to get between vents. Not telling you to do this, as I don't want you to get mad at me if it blows off. Just telling you what I did. Also depends on where the crank handle would come through the roof at.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #29
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
It is best to have the ant. running parallel with the roof because of wind. I wasn't able to run mine parallel because the A/C was in the way. Ended up running it at about 30deg angle, so it misses the A/C. Cranking up is not problem because its over the top of A/C. When lowering always line up the marks on the handle and comes down just fine. Went on 3 month trip last summer out west and had no problem with wind catching it. You may look at mounting at slight angle to get between vents. Not telling you to do this, as I don't want you to get mad at me if it blows off. Just telling you what I did. Also depends on where the crank handle would come through the roof at.
I have plenty of room behind the bathroom vent to mount it parallel and that would also put the handle in the living area. (Where it is now would have the handle either in the bath or bedroom.) In addition it will shorten up the coax, which I am hoping is running straight back. The Jensen only has a hole roughly 1" in diameter and a few screw holes to patch when it is gone. I had it off checking the connection one time and found it full of water and corrosion. Another reason to ditch it.

2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
Site Team

That's fine to move it for you TT owners, but on a 5th wheel it would be very hard without a kitchen stool to reach it if it was closer to the tv. Really don't believe in a Rv that the distance makes that much difference. In my families old 3 story house it ran down from the top roof without much loss of signal if any.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Here is a copy of the Jensen ANHD20 manual. The recommendation that the coax not exceed 10' is on page 4.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ANHD20-MANUAL.pdf (685.4 KB, 17 views)

2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #32
Site Team

Really don't care what the manual says, my opinion is from experience. BTW, the first cable company ran flat twin wire up a mountain to get it's signal from a higher location. So I don't believe another 10' in a Rv makes a difference. If it did, how do you explain my perfect reception. With digital, it's a great picture.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #33
Site Team

PS.. Most Rv antennas have a built in amplifier. So there should be minimal degradation.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
Weekend Camper

Wow, I finally have a dog in this fight!!!!! As a 25 Yr. Vet. of the CATV Game (Comcast) I can tell Y'all with no doubt that u can hang 100' of coax on your RV's with only 3.5 DBmv. signal loss all day long. At 40ft., you won't have any 18V.voltage loss either. The only losses u may experience would be when you apply any non-power passing splitters into the mix. That's why u can't usually use the Outside Cable Input Jack on your Sat System. But if u swap them internally for PP ones you are good to go. That goes for HD & Radio Signal also. I use a 110Ft. RG6 Cord for my Dish System and it works Flawlessly
Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #35
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attman6 View Post
Wow, I finally have a dog in this fight!!!!! As a 25 Yr. Vet. of the CATV Game (Comcast) I can tell Y'all with no doubt that u can hang 100' of coax on your RV's with only 3.5 DBmv. signal loss all day long. At 40ft., you won't have any 18V.voltage loss either. The only losses u may experience would be when you apply any non-power passing splitters into the mix. That's why u can't usually use the Outside Cable Input Jack on your Sat System. But if u swap them internally for PP ones you are good to go. That goes for HD & Radio Signal also. I use a 110Ft. RG6 Cord for my Dish System and it works Flawlessly

Good info attman6 and thank...now I know who to go to for all my cable/coax questions.

A Comcast guy with a satellite system, you'd be perfect for the Dush commercial!...

As long as your not a TIme Warner guy...I'm fit to be tied with all the outages they've had this week...

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #36
Weekend Camper

That's alright, We're gonna assimilate them too....Resistance is futile....Any questions ask away....after this long on the job,I finally get to share some of my nuggets of knowledge. As far as your total cable system, Two things are gonna ruin your day. poorly installed coax fittings and loose ones. HD and Digital signals do not tolerate either very well. do NOT buy those premade jumpers and extentions. Bite the bullet and buy quality Cable, fittings, and tools to install them. they will pay for themselves in the long run. Or ask your friendly Cable guy for some extra....This rule goes for your Home systems as well....

See? sometimes u do get something for Free from the Evil Empire!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

P.S. As far as Outages go, look at it like this.....When your T.V.and Internet goes out at 2:30 am. on a Sunday nite, There's always some shmoe like me has to get up and fix it. Hell or High Water....
Peace.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #38
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Hate to bring up an old thread but very disappointed in my TV reception. Everyone of our friends got between 8~12 channels on their RV and one person in a Class A RV got 20 channels but we got a big fat 0!

Finally on the 3rd day it said 3 channels available but when I clicked on one, it was blocky and never really had a picture.

Anything I can do? When at my house I get a few channels but nothing like the others got. There were 5 RV's that we were with, one had a 2010 model Crossroads Zinger 310 and he got 8 channels.

I was sad! Taking it in on Saturday for warranty work, trim pieces on slide, LED's lights don't work, backwards labeled grey / black tank, broken Gas quick disconnect. Kind of crazy, we have only taken it out twice and we have a list. I hope they can fix it quickly, took them twice to get the OK for the LED replacement and they didn't work before we picked it up!
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #39
Site Team

Did you set the TV for antenna reception and turn on the TV booster? . If the TV is set for cable, you will not get antenna reception.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #40
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Did you set the TV for antenna reception and turn on the TV booster? . If the TV is set for cable, you will not get antenna reception.
Yep set it on antenna but didn't turn on the booster, will look for it. Didn't know we had one.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote