Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Our key broke off in the deadbolt lock on our Zinger door. Luckily it broke off after it was unlocked. Is there a way to fix this other than getting a whole new lock assembly?
msstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Any competent locksmith should be able to repair it.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

If it's the flat/flapper style they are fairly cheap and easy to replace. I would price CW or outhers before calling locksmith.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I got two matching door lock assemblies off ebay for around $40.00. I wanted matching keys for front and back doors.

I found this for you in case you wanted to get matching door locks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-En...Q5fAccessories

Just make sure they measure up the same as yours do and you are good to go.

A locksmith is gonna cost ya more than what you can buy two new door locksets for.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the suggestions. We can't find one that will fit our opening. The dealer can order one but will be expensive. They couldn't tell us the price but said $35 just for shipping. After taking it out and putting it back in, the piece of the key fell out, but the dead bolt no longer works. So, maybe the locksmith might be the next option. We have not even had a chance to use it yet.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Did you just by camper and dealer is charging you for parts? I find it hard to believe shipping a whole door a dealer would pay 35.00$ Ifyour camperis used call crossroads and see if they will ship to you.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

$35.00 for just shipping, Id go somewhere else becasue that dealer is ripping you off bigtime.

Check on the lock cylinder that you use to lock the door handle. If there is an *E* on it, a locksmith cant change the lock at all. I had that kind of door lock with the *E* on it and had a locksmoith come over to try to key alike my two doors. He couldnt do it because that type of door lock cannot be removed to replace the tumblers. If you have the *E* on the door lock there is noway for a locksmith to get the lock cylinder out to repair or replace it. So if that is the case you may want to just buy another one but go to a different dealer.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We bought it last October and used it just once in our backyard before winterizing. Over the winter we would find the door open and banging, called the dealer and they advised us to adjustthe lockwhich we did several times. Finally thought we had it and now the broken dead key/deadbolt. Maybe all the banging in the cold weather weakened the tumblers. The dealer is an hour away and no other dealers in the area.

Today, we worked on getting things ready for our first real trip in a few weeks and found that the thermostat doesn't work and neither does the Jensen radio. We are beginning to wonder what will break/malfunction next. I am hoping the Jensen problem is just a fuse. It seems the thermostat will need to be replaced. The furnace burner won't stay on.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

A simple thing with the furnace that burned me ( no pun intended ) make sure you have propane AND the valves OPEN . Other wise the board in the the furnace is a spendy item $100 +

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Call Crossroads and explain to them about the door lock and not being adjusted correctly. Then I would tell them your dealer is charging you $35.00 just for shipping.

Then I would ask Crossroads if they will sell you a new door lock handle. I bet they will take care of you with this .

Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Must be something about Zinger door locks. We bought ours last May and the dead bolt part was always a problem. It jammed when I went in to winterize last fall. Had to be drilled out. Luckily my brother is a locksmith so I didn't have to pay for a service visit. It is currently at the dealer for other warranty work (don't get me started) and they are replacingthe lockunder warranty.

Not a real happy camper. (pun intended)

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Sorry to hear about another one's problem, but I do feel better knowing that it is not just us. The unfortunate part is that the size is larger so you can't just replace with one that you can find anywhere. We will be calling Crossroads this week.