Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
New Camper

We have been looking around at all the dealers and I think we have it narrowed down to the ST26BH and the ZT26BH. The price difference is considerable at 5K. The Sunset trailhas the reserve package with all the bells and whistles and is tempting, but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. My main concern would be the aluminum construction vs wood. Weight is not an issue as I tow with an F350, but I'm wondering if the wood will hold up as well as aluminum. Any and all opinions are appreciated, please help.
joe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Our last unit was similar to the Zinger line and we now will have a ST.
One of my factors was I wanted the "hard side" style camper. Got tired of trying to keep the siding style unit clean. Thought the hard side would be easier to clean.
Also liked the weights the ST are coming in at. I have not compared side by side the fit and finish of the two but I did compare the ST to other lines and it seemed to be built a bit better.

For what its worth.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We had an aluminum camper and now have 2008 ST30BH. We love it. just my 2 Cents.

Chevy Suburban 1999
crazymama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The aluminum sided style, I mean. Now have fiberglass with the ST30bh

Chevy Suburban 1999
crazymama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

if wood is the frame construction I will tell you that if you ever take water in an area of framing in time it will rot....seen it on campers of my own and of others years back. I was tickled when aluminum framing came about.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have the Zinger ZT26BL and love it. The2012 Zingers have a little nicer interior than my 2011 (a little jealous but not enough to trade). The trailer is looking dirty after a year (lots of black streaks) but that is because we have an issue with being able to wash it at home (HOA, no trailers allowed) and the truck wash just doesn't cut it. We are house hunting and a home that we can have the TT at is a must so we can wash it and pack it easily. Ok off topic, back to topic. The ST's look nice and the zingers are nice. The ST's are built lighter than the zingers but again you are looking at more $$$ with the ST. I think in the end it comes down to personal preference and wallet. You will find lots of people talking for and against both types of TT's. Based upon my reading when trailer shopping, the fiberglass is more expensive to repair if something happens to the wall (ie dent or delam) vs the aluminum because you can just do the panels that need to be done. Again that is just based upon reading, haven't had to deal with that kinda issue (knock on some serious wood for that one). Someone who knows if this is really true please chime in.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
New Camper

Thank you for the responses. I think I may have been a little unclear. I was most concerned about the wood framing (trusses, studs, joists) vs aluminum. The Zinger that we are consideringdoes not have aluminum siding, it hasfiberglass exterior walls, but wood framing. The Sunset has aluminum framing, and fiberglass exterior. Any other opinions?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Iv'e had my Zinger wood fram camper for 5 years and afer being in both styles I will stick to wood frame. At 20 above F I have seen frost on walls of aluminum frames never on wood.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
New Camper

Hmmm... I never considered the fact that wood has a better R value. That is a very good point. I do an ice fishing trip every year and and it's not uncommon for temps to reach -15F so warmth is near the top of my priority list.And no,I don't plan on using the water when it gets that cold. I'm pretty sure there aren't any trailers that could handle those temps and still have full functionality.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We bought a 2012 Sunset Trail ST26BH earlier this spring, we were debating between 4 models and one of them was the Zinger...the main reason that we went with Sunset Trail, is the nice luxury convenience with the Reserve Pkg... and also the way the storage was designed. Both models Zinger 26BH and Sunset Trail are the same design basically, but when you look carefully inside the storage space, the storage space is maximize with moving all pvc pipes away from the middle of the storages to the back of the cabinets. There is so much wasted space in the Zinger...trust me I look at all the features and this was one of the negative feedback that I had with the Zinger...my 2 cents on this subject...

2011 F-150 4x4 ECOBOOST SuperCrew 3.5L V63.73

Rockland,Ontario

https://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...1;ny/test2.jpg

Yanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Just my two cents... Compare the other features HW size, Fridge Size, couch or Jack Knife sofa, toilet type, black flush avail?, which one has just a better feel, storage, etc. Also, to help rationalize the big damage is done going from $0- $18k going from $18k to $23k isn't the damage.. If truly plan on keeping the unit for years to come the $5k is minimal.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

The condensation is more of a thermal transfer thing than r value. The metal transfers heat or cold through the walls. We went with the polar wrap and I think it helps. (on a Cruiser - I think it is similar construction)
I am sure a well built wood frame is superior to a average or poorly built aluminum frame.But both being well built my preference is aluminum. Aluminum will not rot and it is lighter.
$4,000 to $5000 grand is a lot coin but is much cheaper than trading to soon.
Both are nice trailers.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote