Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Fiberglass Splitting/Delaminating

We have a 2010 Cruiser 30QBX. I noticed a small split on the curve where the front face blends into the roof.

When I pointed it out to the folks during the annual inspection, they said "bird or rock hit" which is BS since a bird would leave a blood splat or a rock would leave some type of abrasion seeing as how the trailer sat for the last year in the driveway since the last inspection.

Anyone else have an issue such as this and if so, what was the outcome ?

Thanks
dc

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Could be a bird...they don't necessary explode when hitting front of camper (or windshield).
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

x2 on calling out it as BS,

The expansion and contraction at the meeting point of the two different materials after a few seasons in our wonderful NE Ohio weather is the most likely culprit (IMHO).

The other possibility is water got in there and expanded or froze.

Anyways..easily fixed with lap sealant. Just layer it on nice and heavy. The area up there and around the running lights is a prime area for leaks.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you want to store indoors, I believe Rolling Acres (or what was) mall has cheap indoor storage now.

Just throwing that out there.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

It is just the outer layer of the panelling that is splitting. And I believe that it is stress myself. That is what it looks like. When material is bent, the outside of the radius is stretched and the inside compressed.

When I was younger, I designed stamping dies and had to take the stretching/compression into account to get the desired radii and material thickness and length and width calculations.

It is not near any piece of structure, about a foot in from the sides. No water got into the trailer, I make sure the caulking is good. There was one place at the back of the trailer that was iffy this year, but even last year, I had put extra around every caulked seam on the roof for insurance purposes and doing it again this year.

It is splitting outwards. An impact strike would not go in a perfectly horizontal split about an inch long.

We are having the dealership check and see if that is covered under the wall/structural warranty.

I know I can put some sealant in there, but that won't stop it. Eventually it would split all the way across, from one side to the other. If I have to, I will glue a 1/16" thick piece of fiberglass all the way across and over the curve, so it doesn't look like a POS and reinforces the area.

Once the trailer is totally out of Crossroads warranty, I am going to put an aerodynamic nose cone on the front. While most of the front has a curve to it, there is a flat space on the front that sets up significant wind drag. Even a small rounded nose cone to let the air flow will make it pull easier and get us better MPG's when the trailer is attached to the truck.

I smiled and nodded, but I did not throw the BS flag when he said that.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote