Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anybody used a trailer cover over their fifth-wheel for several winters?

Our trailer will be stored outdoors over the winter, and I'd like to know if a cover is worth using.

Want to tout a specific brand and the qualities that make it great? I'm looking for something durable and that won't promote mold growth on top of my trailer, nor trap moisture within the rig.

So I 'd like to hear from folks who've used the same cover for several years running with no moisture problems and with no giant rips in the cover an hour after they put it on the rig.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I covered my last fifth wheel (Montana Moutainier). I did not cover my Cruiser Patriot last winter - decided to see how it does through the winter. We did not get much snow so it was an easy winter on it. I usually have to clear the snow off 1-2 times during the winter (we usually get 150 to 250 inches per winter). I did put covers over the tires, furnace ports, hot water heater cover and hitch box.

You will get some slight chaffing where the cover moves due to the winds. Because of this the manuf. normal do not recommend covering a trailer. though many do.

I used the Tyvek RV cover from Camping World. The top breathes and it has ties that go under the RV to secure the cover very good. I also would wrap a rope around the side to help hold the cover tight. Looks like the recent design will minimize chaffing on the sides of the roof (over lap of the top fabric).

I used the cover for 3 winters and it was still in good shape (gave it to a friend with a fifth wheel because it would not fit my new one). You will need to install the cover in a calm day and will require getting on the roof (fall potential) - at least a two person job - three is better.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

CrossRoads does not recomend covering the units. as the cover may damage the roof

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

x2
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I cover mine................in a 40 x 40 enclosed building. That's the onlything I would cover it with.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

24x36 building here. I tried covers on pull behinds and a Class C. Never had any luck except they kept the leaves off. Seem to be more trouble than they were worth. Even the expensive ones seem to tear at some point. Finally broke down and took out a loan to have a building put up. Best move I ever made. Clean it, park it and its clean and ready for the next adventure.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for the input. The consensus seems to be building to not use a cover, so that's probably the way we'll go. Thanks again.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote