Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I know I have a lot of questions but this forum is great.

What is the opinion on whether they are needed on the cruisers? The roof on the slide looks very sturdy and made of good rubber roofing.

2000 F250@300000 miles

Tent

2001 Coleman Pop up

2005 Pilgrim 5ver

2012 Cruiser Sahara

https://i55.tinypic.com/4rar05.jpg
Camping Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would not be with out them They do help keeping the slide cooler in the summer (not much) and a little warmer in the winter. Biggest thing is they keep the rain and snow off of the slide. Here in Mississippi They keep tons of pine straw off and acorns of. When it is raining you do not have to get out the ladder and wipe off the top of the slide just my .02 worth

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We have always had slide awnings on all our trailers and I would not be without them. As Frank says they keep your slide outs clean and they help keep them a little cooler from the hot Texas sun in the Summer.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We are 3 season campers and haven't found a reason to desire them. If I'm under a pine tree for a few days I may get up there and sweep the needles off before I retract, but that's about it.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

While on our recent trip we saw the slide covers that extend out to create a shad for the windows. I think if we decide to put them on that's the ones we'll get.
Any of you have experience with those kind?

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I wouldn't be without them. Packing up on a rainy day and notsweeping off pine needles / leaves / acorns is worth the $$$ to me. Also not mention how much cleaner they stay. Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to dlayman
This is my second with my 33ft Cruiser , &amp; I won't be without them next year , it says alot time when you have to clean before you retract your slides when moving
dlayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Ihave to agree...slide covers are a great option for all the reasons stated...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Put em on. They are worth every penny. We had one unit that didn't have them. We wintered in AZ with it. When the sun started beating down on those slides it was just like sitting in the oven.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
While on our recent trip we saw the slide covers that extend out to create a shad for the windows. I think if we decide to put them on that's the ones we'll get.
Any of you have experience with those kind?

Had one on a previous trailer about 10 yrs ago, it was made by Carefree. The window portion could be used independent of the topper. The only problem was that it had manual locks for the main slide cover. I had to go outside to operate the locks before extenting the slide and then remember to again lock the cover after retracting the slide.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

agree with above.....wouldn't be without them

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I have been in campgrounds where the wind got so bad folks had to retract their slides to keep the slide awnings from flapping/tearing. I'm sure that wouldn't happen frequently and it would sure be nice not to have to inspect the tops of the slides before retracting. With that said I don't have them but I can see the advantages.
Edited by: pulpwood007
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
I have been in campgrounds where the wind got so bad folks had to retract their slides to keep the slide awnings from flapping/tearing. I'm sure that wouldn't happen frequently and it would sure be nice not to have to inspect the tops of the slides before retracting. With that said I don't have them but I can see the advantages.

That is just one of the reasons we have not had them and will not asit is just something else to buy, maintain,and then replace in a relativly short time.

I have seen it all as far as people finding a way to live with them in varying conditions &amp; I don't need the aggravation.

We have never been in a situation where we could have benefited from having one. Three units approximately 6 months a year&amp; six slides later no thanx!!! JMHO jb
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I've had that happen once with high winds and flapping. I took a piece of rope, strung my two "slide head banger protection" noodles on it that then put the rope over the top of the awning with the noodles at the ends so the bare rope was not on the edge of the awning. Used bungee cords to attached the rope to the frame.

Just something makeshift I cobbled up when I hit a 60+MPH dust storm in

TX. I have heard of others using beach balls between the awning and the

slide roof.

I camp in state campgrounds a lot, the awnings save me the aggravation of getting up on top of the slide to sweep off pine cones, needles, branches and leaves before I retract the slides.

Edited by: hhh
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh
I've had that happen once with high winds and flapping. I took a piece of rope, strung my two "slide head banger protection" noodles on it that then put the rope over the top of the awning with the noodles at the ends so the bare rope was not on the edge of the awning. Used bungee cords to attached the rope to the frame.

Just something makeshift I cobbled up when I hit a 60+MPH dust storm in TX. I have heard of others using beach balls between the awning and the slide roof.

I camp in state campgrounds a lot, the awnings save me the aggravation of getting up on top of the slide to sweep off pine cones, needles, branches and leaves before I retract the slides.

Hank I have seen a number of folks very frustrated when the above mentioned debris gets under the awning . Not much fun getting it out. There have been so many times in our travels I have wished I once again had my video camera. You are right as they sure are creative but as I stated I do not want the additional aggravation &amp; all other afore mentioned facts. I understand your apparent need but in our usual 6 months a year I don't have any reason to invest myself in another problem child to babysit.. gauging from our experience watching owners in action. Several of us at a spot we go to regularly that has quick winds we used to laugh at certain times a day as you could hear what sounded like a bunch of zippers when all the slides retracted because of the flap machines.Absolutely no JOKE!!! Ps&gt; Be careful with your rope because when the awning gets some age on it it will start to tear right at the roller on each end with the peculiar tension such as the rope.IMHO jb
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I have the same feelings as you JohnB. Have had four trailers with slides, and no slide awnings. Have heard many flapping in high winds and many creative gadgets to keep them from flapping. This is another of those personal preference things, some like them, some don't. I think they cost alot and I could use the money for better things. JMHO.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Some friends with them sayon awindy night they make enough noise to make sleeping difficult. My brother cleans the top of his with an old string mop contraption he built.
KF9TL is offline   Reply With Quote