Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

A week. ago I took the camper in (ST30RK) to get some warranty work done On the list was the door lock. It was hard to turn, so they replaced it and gave me the new keys. Well last night we got to the beach to camp for a week. We got there about a half an hour before sunset,leveled her out and then unhooked. Wife called me to help her unlock the door and the key broke off in the lock. First of all there is an emergency way to get out of it but there isn't away to get in. We called Good Sam road side assistance and they sent some one out to open it up. My question is there a good door lock upgrade that I can get? Maybe something with stronger keys or is there a way to get in when this kinda thing happens? Wife was not happy sitting in the dark at the picnic table for 2hours.Edited by: Big smokey

2007 F250 super duty
Big smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That sucks. Sorry to hear about it. I have no words of wisdom. We have thought about sending our little DD in through the laundry chute to unlock the door if that happens but we also have a pack n play as a back up door too. I have no solution for you. Hope the rest of the weekend goes well.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Locked In!

A few weeks ago, I got up early Friday morning and left for work from the campground, I locked the door behind me on the way out using the key (deadbolt) locking my wife inside sleeping. about an hour into work I get a phone call from her telling me I have to come up and let her out as the door wouldnt open. I chuckled and said flip the red latch and it will open. WRONG! She was also headed to work and the door just would not open. I drove back up to campsite and unlocked the deadbolt from outside and the door opened. Strange they would make the lock that way but they do. Glad I wasn't 4 hours away.
amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Amishco, I would have your lock checked. Mine, and several others that I have checked, always unlock the deadbolt lock from the inside by flipping the red handle. You can't unlock the other lock from inside, but you can open the door from inside by pulling on the inside handle. Something doesn't sound right.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Funny thing happened back in 2009 when we had a Jayco 5er. We were camping at a fish Hatchery that a friend managed. I had permission to turkey hunt on the property. So, I left before daylight locking the regular lock from the outside. My wife got up later to quickly walk the dogs before the workers started at the hatchery. She went out in a nighty. We found out that when you locked the door from the outside, then someone opened it from the inside and then closed it; it would still be locked. So, three hours later after she locked herself out I returned to find her in her nighty with the dogs curled up in a outside chair. Now the funniest part was after she told me what happened, I ask her why she didn't use the hida-key that I had personally showed her where it was kept. She just dropped her head and said "I forgot" She never forgot again. Edited by: Papa-T

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Great story Papa-T, I will know lock mine from outside and have the DW check it to see if it indeed does unlock. Thanks for the info...a small thing but could turn out to be a big one some day LOL

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I was at the camper last night and asked a neighbor to check his lock and same thing happened to him. he locked deadbolt from outside and had his wife try to open the door from inside. the door would not open and she could not move red lock neither. just saying you might want to check yours
amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Hey Amishco,
We traveled through Intercourse in April. Got a good laugh.
Very pretty country, nice people. we enjoyed it.
C
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

That is very strange. My deadbolt and both of my kids deadbolts unlock from the inside by turning the red handle. Try holding the door open and locking the deadbolt with the key and see if you can unlock the deadbolt by moving the red handle. If it works with the door open, maybe it is binding or something when the door is closed and you lock it.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote