Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
New Camper

Air Bags VS Timbrens and Air Pinbox?

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death just looking for recent responses. I have a 2013 Crossroads Elevation 4012. I had a 2008 3/4 Ton Chevy Duramax with Airbags when we first got the trailer. I have since got rid of that and now have a 2013 1 ton Dually Chevy Duramax with Timbrens. This is my experience. I've noticed that the dually being a far more stable truck for pulling is very stiff riding when pulling and I'm pretty sure it's the Timbrens. I am going back to Airbags and also considering a TrailAir Pinbox, not the tri glide model. My 3/4 ton with the airbags seemed like it was a smoother ride pulling than my 1 ton with the Timbrens. I have also had a couple issues with my bike In the trailer when pulling with my 1 ton that I never had with the 3/4 ton which leads me to believe the trailer is bouncing around alot more pulling with my 1 ton now than it had before with the 3/4 ton. Wondering if anyone else's personal experiences with Timbrens vs Airbags has been the same. Or, any other recommendations to smooth out my ride besides big bucks for a Tensley TS3. Thanks in advance.
jdlag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You are on the right track...
I got a sway bar,
WirelessONE compressor and bags,
AND a triglide...

All help, but just depends on the severity of the roads and your rv's suspension...

if the rv has just leaf springs and 110 psi in the rv and truck tires and 100 psi in the trailair, it's still going to be like riding with no cushion... so it takes some tuning...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
New Camper

Mostly Freeway. 80PSI Rear Truck Tires, 80PSI Trailer tires (3 Axel).
2006 Thunder Mountain Sterling 103 Screaming Eagle
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

My experience is about the same, I tried the Timbrens on a 3/4 ton D/A, drove it for less than 40 miles before pulling them off and replaced with air bags. Much better ride options with the air bags. Now, I'm pulling the same Cruiser with a 1 ton SRW that is stock and don't really feel the need even for air bags.

I have never tried an aftermarket pin box, so not much help on that topic. However, IMO it is wiser to spend $$$ improving the ride of the trailer rather than using a fancy pinbox to isolate the harsh riding trailer from the truck. Assuming your trailer already has Equi-flex or similar, then shocks might be the next option. Otherwise, replace the stock suspension with rubber torsion axles or Mor/ryde IS for the best riding trailer. My previous trailer with leaf springs had a terrible ride, the Mor/ryde IS solved all the problems. The ultimate would be switching to disc brakes as well. Southwest Wheel has a facility in Lubbock, Tx that will build rubber torsion axles with disc brakes to your frame width at a reasonable cost.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
New Camper

Does have the Equi-Flex suspension. Thanks for your responses.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

DRW likely won't need a rear stabilizer bar. Has a great improvement with SRW trucks. I have no experience with Timbrens but I stand behind air bags all the way. Had them in three of my trucks and now have wireless air and can adjust on the fly. The Equi-Flex suspension did well through Alaska and I have the TrailAir pin box and we experienced almost no chucking in normal driving. Even in the rough spots the trailer did not jar the truck significantly. I keep my air bags at 45 psi when towing and 15 psi when unloaded. I will say a must is a 4 way motion head on your 5th wheel hitch in the truck bed. Always 80 psi on rear truck tires and trailer tires per manufacturers recommendation.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks WWW. I have a CURT 16K Hitch. Think that's the route I'm going. Back to bags and the TrailAir.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have the air bags with Trailair pinbox (not with air bag). Egui-flex and Reese with articuating head. Just travelled 12K miles, no chucking in normal driving as stated by Scott (WWW). F250 3/4 ton. I run level and smooth.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I would go with air bags - you can adjust the air pressure to the ride you want. The air bags will help to level out the truck once hitched up.

I have a friend that installed a fifth wheel hitch that has an air bag and shocks on it - he likes it. Very pricey and you will need a lift of some sort to get in and out of the truck - very heavy.

What I did - Air bags and Bilstein shocks - OEM shocks were out after about 20,000 miles.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Can't speak to the pin box. But love the Firestone Ride Rite air bags. As far as the shocks and Chevy products definitely the Bilstein. They are recommended OEM for Chevy products. Had 120,000 miles on my first set. Cheaped out on second set and regretted it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I'm pulling my Elevation 3912 (only slightly smaller that your 4012) but has the exact same suspension. My TV is a 2013 RAM 2500. I have the Firestone Air Bag with wireless remote AND the TrailAir Pin Box with the airbag. I have the CURT 20K slider hitch (I over purchased just to be safe)

My 3912 has the Equa-flex thingys too.

My 5'er pulls like a dream. No chucking at all. I can literally watch the trailer moving around on airbag and an constantly amazed how well it tows.

That said, I have no desire to fight the Atlanta traffic with a Dually. I have to use the truck as daily driver too.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote