Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

First Time Out with New ST33BD

Hey all! Just wanted to add another positive thread! Hauled our new 2015 STR33BD down to Dale Hollow this past weekend, and other than a flat on the F450, it was great! Towed like a dream.

After 13 seasons in a 2003 Wildwood 27BH (great trailer for the money), going into the 33BD was like stepping up to a luxury villa! All of the systems seem to work perfectly, the fit and finish seem to be really good, and everyone in our loop wanted a tour! I spent all weekend looking for issues and the only thing I found was a small leak between the shower enclosure and pan. A little clear silicone and we're in business!

I've already added a MaxxFan in the bathroom (a little tricky with the curved roof) and a MaxxAir II cover to the rear vent, converted the lights to LEDs, added a grab bar to the bedroom entry door, slide covers, a battery switch, drying rack mounts on the bumper, a bathroom shelf and multiple hanging hooks throughout. Plus some other piddly stuff.

Next weekend, I'll do the first wash and wax (not looking forward to that...)

Only two things that I still want to modify as of now is a light switch right next to the entry door and replacing the obscure glass with clear tinted glass in the entry door.

Anyway, just wanted to add my initial review!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
Glad to hear that everything went well. I also have not had any big issues with my unit. Yes there were the normal little things that I changed to give it my own personal touch and fixed some minor factory things but, all in all I am very satisified with it. Hope you continue to have good times.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Glad your first trip went well.
We are taking the first trip in our st33BD this next weekend.
It looks like you've already been busy on the mods - where did you install your bathroom shelf?
I'd love to see some pics of what you've done.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Bathroom shelf is above the toilet on the right facing the can. I'll try to remember to take pics next time I head down.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

That would be great - I'm trying to figure out where I want to add shelf space in that bathroom (one of the small downfalls of the floorplan). I saw your other post in regards to the step height and I agree that it is a little high - of course we moved up from a 2003 Outback 26RS, so this whole trailer seems at least about 2 ft higher. We're getting ready to leave tomorrow for our first shakedown trip and we just noticed there is no outlet in the kitchen slide out, except up in the cabinet for the microwave. We were planning on putting our coffee maker in the small counter top next to the range, but now not sure unless I drill a hole and run the cord up into the cabinet? After this first trip, I think we'll have a better handle on the needed modifications.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I know ours is a different unit but we have the kitchen slide and our outlet is on the underside of the cabinet next to the light. Maybe yours is there as well, just a thought.

The Duncans
2015 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T and Ms. B View Post
I know ours is a different unit but we have the kitchen slide and our outlet is on the underside of the cabinet next to the light. Maybe yours is there as well, just a thought.
Our outlet is the same as above, no drilling needed. Just plugs into the bottom of the cabinet.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Well - looks like they made a good change for 2015 - and added a recepticle where it's needed. We hardly use the microwave so I'm thinking about a 2 way surge up in the cabinet and plug in both the coffee maker and microwave. The single outlet for the microwave is dedicated to a 15 amp breaker. As long as we aren't trying to use both at once - we should be OK shouldn't we? Any electrical system experts out there?
Thanks -
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I picked my ST33BD up in June and had a few minor issues like the range exhaust fan was wired backwards, I also had a leak around the shower pan where they just did not caulk, and a dealer issue with a slide cover, but my biggest problem is camping in hot temperatures without any shade, my AC will come on about 9-10:00 and run all day non stop and the camper inside temperature goes up to about 84-85 degrees, anyone else have that problem? The only solution I know of is to buy the second AC for the front bedroom.
Rlnsfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have two ac units on mine, but haven't had a chance to camp in serious heat yet. It is VERY nice to have the cold air wafting over me at night...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Here is a pic of the shelf I installed in the bathroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelf.jpg (1.00 MB, 7 views)
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks for sharing Robb.
I was originally thinking of a fold down type shelf, but the weight would be too much for the walls, unless I installed the hinge pretty high up on the wall that shares the insert for TV installation in the Master Bedroom.....
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Robb - where did you buy the bathroom shelf? - we'd like to do the same -
Thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

My lovely better half got the shelf at Target. You'll need to pick up a couple better hangers as the ones that come with it are junk. I used plastic drywall inserts with the supplied screws. Robb
Old 10-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thanks Robb!