Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Site Team

Bonded ground

I have a Honda 2000i. This year I splurged and bought the 2000i companion.
Of course I was anxious to try it. So when we were up hunting this fall we had two days that got some over 80 degrees. What better excuse to try it.
I got them both out and hooked up the parallel cables and fired them up. I left them both on eco mode and turned on the AC. They started it, but the AC protested a little bit. They then backed right down and just purred away. Next time I took them off eco when I started the AC. The AC liked that a lot better. No squeals of protest this time. I then turned the eco on and they slowed right down. What a nice set up Honda has come up with.

I tried each one separately when I needed power. They both performed great.
One thing that puzzles me, is the companion is some what lighter in weight then the 2000i.

Has any one tried theirs using the bonded ground plug?
I made up one of those before we left home. I checked with it plugged in and with out it. Using the BG plug, my meter showed everything normal and good. With out the BG plug it showed a lack of good ground.
One thing that surprised me was it didn't affect the surge guard like some claim it does, or suppose to. My BG plug is to big to fit in the 110 recept. when I use the 30 amp adapter plug in the other recept on the 2000i. I will have to find a smaller plug and make up another one.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

What brand surge protector? My PI doesn't like the open Gnd to Neutral connection and has to be turned off. I could jumper the Gnd to the Neutral in the plug that goes into the generator but see no need to.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Site Team

This is the receptacle tester I used when testing the BG plug.

With out the BG plug, the light on the left(its red) would flicker steady. The two yellow lights to the right would be lit, as they are when wiring is correct.

I use this thing faithfully on the electric pedestal before plugging the camper in. I have found a few pedestals that had a problem. If the campground can't fix it, I ask for a different site.
I also have an adapter that goes from 30 amp to 20 amp so I can use the tester on the 30 amp plug on the post.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
This is the receptacle tester I used when testing the BG plug.

With out the BG plug, the light on the left(its red) would flicker steady. The two yellow lights to the right would be lit, as they are when wiring is correct.

I use this thing faithfully on the electric pedestal before plugging the camper in. I have found a few pedestals that had a problem. If the campground can't fix it, I ask for a different site.
I also have an adapter that goes from 30 amp to 20 amp so I can use the tester on the 30 amp plug on the post.
You should have the center light lit as you have an open ground without the BG plug. Are you sure the plug is wired correctly, if the left is on it's showing a hot/neutral or ground reversed.

At least the way I read your tester.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

How about a review on Bg plug wiring. I am sure it is on the net but lets do it here for those of us with surge protectors and run Gens. Thanks
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy View Post
How about a review on Bg plug wiring. I am sure it is on the net but lets do it here for those of us with surge protectors and run Gens. Thanks

http://www.noshockzone.org/generator...utral-bonding/

It’s pretty simple to wire a special “Ground-Neutral Bond” jumper cable for your Honda or Yamaha generator which will allow you to power your RV through its voltage protection device. You can obtain or make a dummy 15 or 20 amp “Edison” plug with the Neutral (white) and Ground (green) screws jump together with a piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire (see photos above). This G-N jumper plug can be plugged into one of the generator’s unused 20-amp outlets, and the entire generator’s electrical system will be N-G bonded. You can then use the other 20-amp Edison outlet or the 30-amp outlet to power the RV.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd, I read the article you referenced and it cleared up a lot for me.