Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
New Camper

stabilizing parked trailer and other issues

We have a 2014 28BH. Now that we have camped about 10 nights this year, some issues have beome evident. I don't know if everyone has problems like this, but we have some shaking with our parked camper. We have electric stabilzing jacks and use wood 2x6 under each support, but the camper shakes noticeably when someone walks in camper or steps on the stairs to get in or out of the camper. It is not unstable, but it is loose. I have read about stabilizing systems and was wondering if anyone has used them with a conventional travel trailer? Also, I have noticed the floor boards squeek when we walk on them (like they are not properly glued down, rubbing on the nails like in a house). I did not experience that issue with our previous trailer, but it was a much smaller hybrid so they may not have had as many seams to deal with. Neither issue is major and we really like the trailer, just wondering if there are any secrets to these issues. I strongly dislike camping without full hookups (water pump is loud even after installing an accumulator, which doesn't really help much).

Finally, the ceiling vent in the bedroom area lets in a lot of light early in the morning. Not that we sleep late generally, but I am using a peice of posterboard with velcro attachments to cover the inside of the vent to block out the light. It is easy to place and remove as needed, but not a great long term solution. Anyone have other ideas for covering this (curtain or whatever)?
indypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Team

For stabilization I use the x chocks between the tires. Helps alot.
Bought the x chocks from Camping World.

For the vent I use a vent pillow.
Got the pillow at Walmart
As for the squeaking floor your dealer might be able to help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I got the x-chocks and they didn't seem to help us...

if in the DFW area,
have some in the garage and also have a pin tripod for the old 5er that I don't use

but I did get one of these to put under the rear hitch on the LONG rear overhang of our 5er and that helped a lot...
some have even opted for the rear stabilizer bar like I had on my previous 5er
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Site Team

For stabilizing your camper chocks help some, but the stabilizer are the answer. They will pretty much make the rig shake free. This is what I installed.
http://www.plugitright.com/RVStabilizer.html

Vent pillows are what a lot of people use. I think there is a dark colored vent cover out there that you could replace your old one with.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We installed the Camco Stair Stabilizers. This distributes the weight of the person on the stairs to the ground rather than the trailer. The stairs become rock solid which is very important when carrying a toddler who fell asleep in his camp chair by the fire.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We use the X chocks, huge improvement. also it is not uncommon to have to go out and put down your stabilizers alittle more after a day or two to reset evrything. As for the bedroom vent, install smoke or black vent covers, this will cut down on light and allow you to keep the vents open even in the rain.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

good point on the dark vent covers - which is what we have, but that Shower skylight has to go
Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have the same TT and use 2 of these stabilizers to take some of the rock-n-roll out of the camper once we're set up: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-02010.../dp/B001UGJPXQ Together with the 4 built-in stabilizers, they take out a majority of the movement. We put one under the rear bumper and one just to the right of the stairs (it would be best right under the stairs, but you can't get to the frame there).
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge2 View Post
We have the same TT and use 2 of these stabilizers to take some of the rock-n-roll out of the camper once we're set up: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-02010.../dp/B001UGJPXQ Together with the 4 built-in stabilizers, they take out a majority of the movement. We put one under the rear bumper and one just to the right of the stairs (it would be best right under the stairs, but you can't get to the frame there).
X2...I put mine one on each side under the frame. Vent pillow will knock out the light.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
good point on the dark vent covers - which is what we have, but that Shower skylight has to go
I have a solution to the shower skylight. I don't like them either as they let in too much sun, which equals heat. The skylight has two parts, the part on the roof and the inside part. Remove the inside part (it has screws) and place either block-out curtain lining material or Reflectix on it and put it back. This will block out all the light. I used the curtain lining on our previous trailer and used Reflectix on our current one. It was just a matter of what I had on hand.

As for the shaking, there are many solutions which help (several mentioned here) but you cannot remove all the shaking unless you remove the wheels. Remember - you are supported by rubber tires, with air in them. This is going to "give" somewhat.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Check your stair bolts, ours were very loose when we tightened them up took the bounce out when you walk up the stairs.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
For stabilization I use the x chocks between the tires. Helps alot.
Bought the x chocks from Camping World.

For the vent I use a vent pillow.
Got the pillow at Walmart
As for the squeaking floor your dealer might be able to help you.
I do exactly the same thing. X chocks and vent pillows. The vent pillows I use have an aluminum foil to help reflect the heat. This helps keep heat out.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I do exactly the same thing. X chocks and vent pillows. The vent pillows I use have an aluminum foil to help reflect the heat. This helps keep heat out.
You have x chocks that fit your wide stance?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
You have x chocks that fit your wide stance?
Yes: X Chocks Model 28014

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
New Camper

We have the same camper 2014 ZT28BH. We have noticed the movement of the camper as well but have not addressed it as of yet. Probably will later this year.
One thing we purchased pretty much right away was a vent shade for the bedroom. This allows for the vent to be open and air to still flow through for the most part. We also have roof vent covers on all the vents which helped some as well.
We have not noticed the problem with the floor though. So that may be specific to your camper.
Ours is actually in for repairs right now having the rear axle replaced as it is bent and having some wall portions fixed as they were bowing out in the bedroom. Working with the dealer and Crossroads on the wall to see what might happen with it.
aabshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
New Camper

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabshagen View Post
Ours is actually in for repairs right now having the rear axle replaced as it is bent and having some wall portions fixed as they were bowing out in the bedroom. Working with the dealer and Crossroads on the wall to see what might happen with it.
aabshagen, what was the fix for the wall bowing out? my 28BH is doing the same! I also noticed the roof separating above in the same area as the wall bowing. My dealer has yet to repair and any advice would help.
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

2013 28BH here and I can relate. I will share what I did and I can say I am more than pleased with the results.
1) $5.00 Yellow chocks from Walmart. After you are leveled side to side, hammer one on each of the frt of frt and rear of rear. A small, handheld sledge will help set them firm.
2) The X chocks don't spread far enough for our wide stance axles. Pick up Fastways One Step Chock. ONEstep™ Chock » Fastway Trailer Products
3) Get yourself a couple of 2"x10" boards and cut the into 18"-24" pices. Tie together 2 and 3 boards so you have 1, 2 and 3 high blocks. Use these in appropriate heights at the 4 corners. The higher you can keep the stabilizer contact point, the better.
4) Buy, or assemble a 18"-24" 10"x10", use this under your tongue.
the reason for the 18"-24" lengths is the larger footprint, the greater stabilization.
I am pretty pleased as we have 2 Collies 80 and 90 pounds, a 3 yr old, the wife, and myself and movement is definitely at a minimum. I may try slide jacks, but was told they can negatively impact slide operation if too much torque is applied to them.
yukon_jake is offline   Reply With Quote