Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation Dangerous health issue with faulty 58 gal freshwater tank

On April 18, 2011 I purchased a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 285RL. Most of our camping until the summer of 2013 involved staying in RV parks hooked up to park water. Hence, we had little use for the fresh water storage tank.
In the summer of 2013, we noticed it was very difficult to fill the 58 gallon fresh water tank. Upon filling to overflow, the tank gauge light on the monitor panel would be 2/3, never "Full". Knowing that these gauges can be inaccurate, we didn’t consider something else might be wrong until we ran out of water long before we expected to on a dry camping trip. At that point it made sense to check the actual capacity of the tank. I then filled the tank until it overflowed and measured the water as the tank drained. It came to be 37.5 gallons. Clearly, there was a problem. We took the trailer to the dealer and asked them to take a look. What we were told was very disturbing. It seems the design of both the tank and the fill system is such that it is impossible to fill the tank to its maximum. The service technician told us the inlet to the tank is not at the top, but some distance down the side of the tank. Additionally, the fill line is routed with a low point designed in the system such that water cannot rise any higher in the tank than the low point in the fill system.
What I see are two problems:
1. We do not have a 58 gallon tank, but a 37.5 gallon tank which is not what we paid for.
2. Because the tank cannot be filled to capacity, we cannot adequately sanitize the system since the chlorine bleach and water combination called for in your manual has no way to make contact with the side walls of the fresh water tank above the level limited by its design and the fill line low point.
I consider this situation to be a serious health hazard. Not being able to sterilize our fresh water system because of this apparent design failure has the potential of causing serious illness and prevents us from "Keeping the fresh water system clean and free of any potential contaminations [as a] top priority." [Quote from Crossroads Owners Manual, page 41].
On September 29, 2013 I sent a registered letter to Crossroads, with a copy to my dealer, explaining the problem in detail. The letter was received by Dawn Oliver on October 3rd. I never received a response. On September 16th this year I sent a follow-up letter to Crossroads with a copy to my dealer. On September 24th I received a telephone call from Terry (he wouldn't spell his last name for me) at Crossroads saying the trailer was out of warranty and there was nothing he could do, although he would call the dealer for more information. I stated this was not really a warranty issue, but a design issue that was a health hazard and that all owners of this model should be notified. He said he'd get back to me.
The response from Terry at Crossroads was that "unfortunately, they can't do anything for me." Again, he was reminded this was a design, not a malfunction issue, and that it presented a health hazard. It made no difference.
***Those who own a recent model Cruiser with a purported 58 gal freshwater tank should be aware that YOU CANNOT FULLY STERILIZE YOUR TANK TO DUE THE FAULTY DESIGN of the system. Further, Crossroads will make no effort to rectify the unsafe design.**
Tim_the_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Fill the tank with your sterilizing product and take it for a ride. The swishing of the water in the tank should contact all the sides of the tank and sterilize the tank.

Since the tanks are manufactured by an outside source, I'm sure you are not the only one with this issue. If it is a problem like you say, others will now be aware of the problem and by filling and driving, will have a way to totally clean the tank.

If you are really concerned an option for you would be to change out the tank. Here is a link for tanks. http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/33/rv-water-tanks

Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

mark5w is right . when I sterilize ,I take it for a spin around the block the get the top coated. hose inlets are almost always on the side as the tank is supported to the bottom of the floor. Hence no space for a filler on the top.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Standard procedure for sanitizing is 1/2 tank water with bleach and drive around to thoroughly slosh all over the inside of the tank. Run the pump until you get chlorine smelling water out ALL faucets, including outside shower. Open all faucets, low point drains, and water tank. Take a short cruise while it all drains. Refill with clean water and repeat procedure until the chlorine smell is gone. At least one iteration.

Actually you are only missing abt 10 gal. What they don't tell you is the water heater capacity is considered part of the water capacity.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would think this is common among all TT tanks? Not unique to just Crossroads.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

It is all of the designers went to the same school
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I am a little curious...If you fill the tank until it overflows, the tank would have to be full IF the overflow tube comes out of the top of the tank (as it should). SO if tank is not filling, the overflow tube must exit side of tank somewhere below the top. The fill tube not being at top may not be an issue as long as the hose inlet is above top of tank, as water will seek its own level.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Tanks are located real close to the top on most trailers and the both hoses are located on the upper part of the side of the tank. so there will be a small space of air on the top portion of the tank.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
It is all of the designers went to the same school
What school? From looking at the layout of a lot of RVs it doesn't appear the design team had ever been camping in their life. At least with anything they designed.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
What school? From looking at the layout of a lot of RVs it doesn't appear the design team had ever been camping in their life. At least with anything they designed.
I did not say they passed
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thought this pic might explain the plumbing of a fresh water tank better.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
I did not say they passed

good one !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
Site Team

Good pic, but is that the type of inlet that has a feeder hose the screws on to it so the pressure of the water fills the tank, or is it the type where you just open the inlet ant the water flows in by gravity, no direct hose connection?

Could make a difference.
My Cruiser has the gravity fill, no hose connection.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Good pic, but is that the type of inlet that has a feeder hose the screws on to it so the pressure of the water fills the tank, or is it the type where you just open the inlet ant the water flows in by gravity, no direct hose connection?

Could make a difference.
My Cruiser has the gravity fill, no hose connection.
Good question. I honestly don't know. Judging by the size of the fill hose I would say gravity. My fresh water tank is gravity as well. Are most FW tanks not gravity filled? Don't guess I have seen one with a direct connection?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Site Team

My previous 5th wheel had a screw on connection. Inside was an anti siphon valve. Plus my neighbors Jayco has a screw on type.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

So, my question is don't you also need to sterilize the breather?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
So, my question is don't you also need to sterilize the breather?
I would think if you used the proper bleach to water ratio and ran it till it overflowed you would be good. Let it sit. Maybe take it for a ride as others have suggested.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Thanks,

I've never had the need to utilize the onboard tank. I'd probably should at least sterilize it. Sounds like I should keep water in it also.

Just a quick note of caution on sterilizing. File this under "Newbie mistakes". Many years ago I was sterilizing our holding tank on our pop-up and my better half bought concentrated bleach and I didnt notice it on the bottle, so my mix was way too strong.

It took about a dozen rinses over the course of year to get the pool water taste out of the tank and lines.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

we only use bottled water for us and the dog....

fresh water tank is rarely used except for on the road stops
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
Site Team

Here is a link to a good article about sanitizing your fresh water tank. http://www.sanidumps.com/sanitizervfreshwatersystem.php

Like johnboytoo, we only use it for emergency pit stops. But it probably is a good idea to clean it every year to prevent any type of growth.

Tags
cruiser, tank, warranty, water