Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Yellowstone camping

What is the best campground in Yellowstone in July? Also i am new to RVing and I was wondering if anyone had a must have camping list?

Thanks!

Jeff
JR "N" KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
New Camper

We have stayed at Grant Village and Madison campgrounds. Both are nice but have no hookups. They do allow generators. They have bathrooms with flush toilets and sinks. Fishing Bridge is the only canpground i know of with hookups. Have not stayed there, but heard they really cram you in. You will need reseravitions for any campground thar time of year.

Doug & Teresa
2010 Cruiser CTX 26 RK
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Stayed at fishing bridge last year for four nights, wished I reserved for eight nights.

Ram 3500
Rushmore Monticello
gone camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We stayed at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone in August of 2013 for 5 nights. Nice park and right in the townsite. Full service and clean. Would definitely go back there again. Found out about it from other members on the site here.

http://www.grizzlyrv.com/
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Site Team

We have stayed in the park, and outside the park. In my opinion in the park camping is the best experience.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We stayed last summer at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park at the north entrance. Really nice facilities (with the exception of slowish WiFi). Note: It's a solid 30 minute drive to the park entrance at 70 MPH.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We stayed two years ago at Grant Village, Loved It....
Elk would wander through the campgrounds in the mornings. We stayed in late August so the park was not very congested. Could easily drive anywhere without a lot of delays. We checked out fishing bridge and thought it was packed in really tight.
Grant Village is also on the edge of the Lake with great hiking a couple hundred feet from the campsites.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We used to camp anywhere we could get a spot! Now that we have an rv and prefer electrical hook-ups, I'm not sure where we'll camp in Yellowstone.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

jlongsta, Keep your eyes open for a generator, it really gives you a lot of options for when you "need" the electric. While in Yellowstone I would run the genny for a few hours during the day if we needed the micro, or recharge the battery. Whatever you do, do not get a construction style generator...a couple of campers had them at Yellowstone and 'bout drove everyone else nuts. The quiet runs are the way to go.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I stayed at the Fishing Bridge non elec 'parking lot' that is wide open to sun , so put solar panel up on roof and have 2 batts so never needed a generator. A good battery will last me 4 days with out charging , and longer with the portable solar panel.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We've stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA lastJuly for our first trip out there. Convenient..Yes. Full Hookups...Yes. But I'd say pass on this place. Overpriced for what they provide. We generally like the KOAs for the pull through sites and amenities. This is place is typical of campgrounds that is in the right place and can charge and take care of the place however they want. I agree with Lloyd. The park is beautiful. Stay in if you can find the right mix of amenities and services you want. We went peak season and I think the west entrance and west Yellowstone is a great area for a base camp if you don't want to stay in the park...We never had to deal with the real heavy traffic we saw at the other entrances. GrizzlyRV park looks nice, we drove over there after dinner one night. Very close to the entrance and the town area is really neat.

We drove from Ohio and it was worth it. In fact the photo below is from Yellowstone. First time for us. The park is incredible. We did alot of research to plan and there are great articles to help you plan. Just google it. I can send you links if you need anything specific.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Definitely on my "to-do" list someday.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Site Team

If you are going to get towards the west part of the park check out a great campground about a 10 minute drive from the west gate - RedRock RV. It's privately owned and the owner takes substantial pride in the place.

Sites were spacious and the view was to die for. Even full, this place feels not too busy. It's about 5 miles off the main drag and so you have to want to go there. Very close to Henry lake if you fish, and you can drive into Yellowstone easily. We will be going back. Highly recommended but not very big - you need reservations. http://www.redrockrvpark.com/index2.html
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

A couple of years back we stayed in West Yellowstone at Rustic Wagon Campground. www.rusticwagonrv.com The campgrounds were being redone so they had no hookups. It was nice to drive into the park and pick out our day trips. One thing I remember was July 4th watching fireworks in almost freezing weather. We had a great time and should be a stop on every ones list to stop.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

We stayed at Fishing Bridge in 2012. It was the only place in the park that had mosquitoes, and they had all of them, I think. Also, the sites were small and cramped. Could not put our awning out. Many campgrounds are not keeping up with the increasing size of RVs.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
We stayed at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone in August of 2013 for 5 nights. Nice park and right in the townsite. Full service and clean. Would definitely go back there again. Found out about it from other members on the site here.

http://www.grizzlyrv.com/
From reading online it seems like everyone has been very happy with this campground. Did you guys do any activities or do you have suggestions we have kids 6 and 8 yrs old.
JR "N" KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR "N" KR View Post
From reading online it seems like everyone has been very happy with this campground. Did you guys do any activities or do you have suggestions we have kids 6 and 8 yrs old.
Just me and the wife - we toured Yellowstone park a few days and happened to be there for the 42nd Annual Rod Run. Lots of families staying there because the big draw is the park itself. Lots of things to see. I hadn't been there since I was a kid in the 70's and my wife had never been there so we really enjoyed it. West Yellowstone is a nice touristy town - my wife compared it to Banff, Alberta in the summer. If your kids like horse back riding, fishing, hiking, etc. there is lots of options in the area.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote