Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Camping in Central Florida

We're looking (ahead) for a good place to camp within an hour or so of the Tampa Bay area over Labor Day weekend. Unlike our usual state park preference, we often do an RV park sort of place for holiday weekends - like Sun-n-Fun - since there's a pool and fun stuff for the kids to do. Water (pool, whatever) is a must with the weather here that time of year. I know it's a long way off...but we all know some of these place book up way early!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Hillsborough River State Park has a huge pool and is only 20 minutes from Bush Gardens and the Tampa aquarium. There is also a fort and you can canoe on the river.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandsting View Post
Hillsborough River State Park has a huge pool and is only 20 minutes from Bush Gardens and the Tampa aquarium. There is also a fort and you can canoe on the river.
Hillsborough River is one of our favorite parks. Great hiking trails as we'll.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We are staying here this weekend, The Lake Hatchineha Area East of Lakeland. It was about a 80 mile drive from NW Tampa area. All the lots are Lake front and it's a very old Florida type community, very friendly. Might be a little far for what your looking for, I copied the link. We have stayed at Lazy Day's campground. Heated pool was awesome.

http://lhrvpark.com/
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you for the suggestions, my friends! We have camped at Hillsborough River State Park, but it was a couple years ago. At that time we couldn't get anywhere near the pool because it was packed wall to wall with locals. Seems it was only $1.00 to get into the pool so the surrounding area was using it as their community pool. Can't blame them, but didn't make me want to go back.

I'll check out the other link - thanks!

We'll keep looking - and keep the ideas coming!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We will also consider Lazy Days. We bought our camper there and stayed 3 night last August. Not much of a campground, but there's plenty to do, plus a bar and restaurant. The kids love it there. LOL!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

San Carlos RV park in Ft. Meyers is nice. No shade but on the water and close to Sanibel. About a 20 min drive.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks, Bert! I'll check that out! We ended up booking Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, FL. It's south of Sarasota and west of Mayaka River State Park. Looks like a lovely place - pool, tiki bar, beautiful landscaping. It's getting great reviews and is relatively close to home, so we thought we would check it out. It's crazy to think we have August (and October) already booked...but I like planning ahead and always having some camping fun on the horizon.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge2 View Post
Thanks, Bert! I'll check that out! We ended up booking Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, FL. It's south of Sarasota and west of Mayaka River State Park. Looks like a lovely place - pool, tiki bar, beautiful landscaping. It's getting great reviews and is relatively close to home, so we thought we would check it out. It's crazy to think we have August (and October) already booked...but I like planning ahead and always having some camping fun on the horizon.
Used to live just down the road for many years! I love the Mayaka State Park. There is another RV Park on the Myaka River in North Port just south of River Road on 41 that is nice as well.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Tim, Mayaka is one of our favorites! So much to do in that park - it's HUGE. We make at least one trip there every year - usually in the fall. I'm looking forward to camping with a pool in hot August. And we're definitely close enough to the coast to make a trip to Venice beach if the weather cooperates.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Amy, Mine too. I used to always get the yearly pass I went there so much. Did'nt cover camping fees but used to fish and hike it all the time. Have fun.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

And Bert - San Carlos looks very nice! You're right - that's about as close as you're going to get to Sanibel Island and Captiva. We've stayed in that area a few times in hotels and LOVED it!! Definitely on our to-do list in the not-so-distant future, but maybe in a hotel right on the beach.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Just realized we have been spelling it wrong. It is the Myakka State Park for those wishing to research it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4