Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Baja camping and diesel fuel questions

My wife and I are thinking of hauling our Cruiser Patriot down to the Baja Peninsula in Mexico for a few weeks next winter and were wondering if anyone had any recommendations for full-hookup campgrounds in the northern half of the peninsula? We do NOT want to go down as far as Cabo San Lucas.

Also, we tow with a 2011 Ram 2500 diesel, and I've heard some horror stories of Mexican diesel clogging up particulate filters and the like on newer diesel engines. Anyone have any experience with a recent-vintage Cummins/Ram diesel engine running on Mexican fuel? Be kind of ironic if Mexican diesel is troublesome in engines such as mine, because the truck was manufactured in Saltillo, Mexico.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

you might get more answers here. hope you have a wonderful trouble free trip.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Did you see the 60 min show last year when a family went down south to Baha to watch a bike race and on the way back they where stopped by what they thought was the Police and turned out to bad, they all lived but they lost there new truck and camper. Good Times?
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
New Camper

Beg to differ on Mexico safety

I spend several weeks each year driving through Mexico. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

It seems like people who have never been there like to dwell on horror stories that are 99.99% based on rumor and hearsay. Last summer I just drove all the way south to Cabo. Spent 4 weeks and the only close call I had was a grazing horse close to the road at 5:30AM.

Enjoy Mexico, your chances of getting of running into banditos are the same as having a drive by shooter taking shots at you on an interstate in Indiana. It is a wonderful country with gracious people. Don't let a "Wana Be Expert" scare you with a sensationalized TV show that had nothing to do with the reality of what the Baha really is.

Do your research, make reservations in advance, don't speed, stay out of bars unless your in a resort town, and stay off the road at night. Not because of banditos but because they graze their farm animals next to the roads after dark.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
New Camper

If you buy diesel from the only gas stations there are in Mexico, the government owned Pemex they have great fuel. The problem is that not every station has diesel. There are books about the Baja that tell you were they sell diesel fuel. If you don't wait until your on empty you will have no problem finding fuel.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Dennis, it sounds like a good excuse to get one of these if you have a short box with the small fuel tank.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/fuel...-super-series/

I put in a Titan tank just for that reason...so I could choose where I fill up because the new diesels are sensitive to water in fuel issues and I only use high volume stations. I love the extra capacity and I can travel a full day, unhook, go find fuel, or if it's a long haul day, choose my fuel stops without worry.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Site Team

zolman:
Are you saying those stories are incorrect, or just that a person shouldn't worry about them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolman View Post
I spend several weeks each year driving through Mexico. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

It seems like people who have never been there like to dwell on horror stories that are 99.99% based on rumor and hearsay. Last summer I just drove all the way south to Cabo. Spent 4 weeks and the only close call I had was a grazing horse close to the road at 5:30AM.

Enjoy Mexico, your chances of getting of running into banditos are the same as having a drive by shooter taking shots at you on an interstate in Indiana. It is a wonderful country with gracious people. Don't let a "Wana Be Expert" scare you with a sensationalized TV show that had nothing to do with the reality of what the Baha really is.

Do your research, make reservations in advance, don't speed, stay out of bars unless your in a resort town, and stay off the road at night. Not because of banditos but because they graze their farm animals next to the roads after dark.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
New Camper

Stories

What I am saying is that there are stories about a lot of places in Mexico, the good old USA and many places around the world that like to glorify sensationalism, brutality and crime.

Frankly I never saw the TV program, nor would my choice of TV programs find this on my "must see" list. I not take the time to watch it.

I do not know wheither it is true or false. If the report is made by a worthy reporter most may be true. If the story was made to sensationalize the events it may be complete lies.

Going to Mexico is a philosophical choice of what adventure lies within your comfort zone. All I am saying is that this story is not the typical experience of people traveling in Mexico. I've spent a lot of time there and talking to fellow Americans who visited there. Never heard that story or any other stories that other individual's lives were threatened.

Answer this question. Should American teenagers never attend high school because of the Columbine High School massacre?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

This is an interesting exchange. Many Canadians feel the same about the USA - violent car jackings, muggings, gun violence etc. However, that does not stop us from visiting the US - millions do it every year. Reseach is the key - know where you are going, how to get there. As for diesel fuel - I carry "extra" when I tow - even in Canada - since the GPS is not always accurate - or worse - that fuek stop is now a barber shop!!!

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Actually, violent crime is lower than it has been in the last 20 yrs. Don't listen to the gun grabbers.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Baha watch this be for you go. Sorry it was on 48 hours! http://www.cbsnews.com/news/live-to-...-1-01-01-2010/
Faribault MN
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #12
New Camper

And LeBo that is exactly the kind of TV trash that I was writing about in my previous post. The CBS 48 Hours TV programing your referring to specializes in sensationalizing and exploiting stories anywhere they can find an evil hole to crawl into. In the process they want scare anyone who gets a thrill in watching this type of programing.

Here are some of their headliners.

"A beauty queen is found murdered. The prime suspect -- the priest who heard her confession."

"A gang of bodybuilders hatch a plan to kidnap and kill wealthy people."

" A little girl is terrorized when a killer wants her family dead "

"A haunted highway that attracts evil ... over 20 girls missing or murdered. " for our Canadians this is HWY 16.

So I guess that CBS 48 Hours is telling us Americans that we better watch out not only for those evil Mexicans but also blood thirsty Canadians.

Just kidding with that comment but I'm trying to make a point. Anyone, with any common sense and a life to live, would not spend their time listening to a program whose sole purpose is to make you think that evil is the main purpose of life. I'd rather be enjoying a drive through Mexico or Canada.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Two cents worth....let someone know where you are travelling and your timing and stay in contact for each stop. Itineraries can change, but at least someone will know what you are doing.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Everyone has to determine ther own comfort level as too where we travel. I agree sources like 48 Hours are pure trash. Do your homework here and other RV sites and use those resources to make your decisions. If it isn't for you so be it there are so many wonderful places to go you will be happy and comfortable in your decision.
Go Well!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I suppose your going to tell us that the show Braking Bad isn't true!
Just Kidding!
Faribault MN
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Well Lee I am afraid Breaking Bad is true!!!!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

A less expensive alternative to the Titan fuel tank is this one. http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=1752 Of course, it does take up room in your bed. I have had one of these for over 2 years now, and it's great to be able to drive all day without worrying about running out of fuel. I use truck stops when I refuel. Easy in and easy out with the 5th wheel attached.

I used to have to travel to Mexico more times than I could count for work. Never had any problems, and people are people no matter where you go. If you can speak even a little Spanish, it helps.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, diesel, mexico