Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Tennesee Camping

Hi,
We are in NC and planning a camping trip (2 or 3 weeks) for this summer, mid-july to beginning of august. This will be our first 'long' camping trip with our new Sunset Trail TT, previously we rented motorhomes.
We've stayed at various KOA's and had good results as well as private campgrounds.
We have two kids (10 and 6) and wanted to find some nice kid-friendly campgrounds that others recommend. Thanks for all your suggestions!
Mike
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've camped in a little bit of everything over the years, but it is hard to beat state parks for kid friendliness. Cumberland Mountain State Park in Crossville, TN is a nice park. Fall Creek Falls State Park is another one. The Land Between the Lakes area, which is a federal park, has some nice campgrounds. It is located in Tennessee and Kentucky about 2 hours west of Nashville.

As far as camping in the mountains, I'm very fond of the Townsend, TN area. The KOA in Townsend is very kid-friendly, but tight. Tremont Outdoor Resort is where we usually stay, but they are pretty strict with their rules enforcement. We have kids and it really hasn't been a hindrance, though. There is a lot to do in the area for families, including trout fishing, bicycling, hiking, tubing the Little River, and Cades Cove, to name a few. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are just a short ride from Townsend, but you are away from the noise and traffic. While I haven't actually camped there, the Cosby, TN area is pretty nice, too. I believe they have a Jellystone campground there and they are known for being kid-friendly.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Is Cumberland Mountain and Cumberland Falls State Park the same? We camped at Cumberland Falls and it was just beautiful! The "Little Niagara" is there. Been a number of years ago. We were tent camping. Beautiful place.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Bring bikes they have great trails.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Fall creek falls is a very nice campground/park. You are very secluded here. It is nice to drive through the golf course at dusk to watch the deers eat. The buffet at the restaurant on Friday night is great. Finally, if you bring your bikes (very important) the bike ride around the lake is great. By the way, the jungle book movie was filmed here. If you want to camp in pigeon forge or gatlinburg, I highly recommend Riverplantation rv park. I usually stay here 3 to 4 times a year. Very convenient to everything in pigeon forge. Not alot of activites but there is a nice pool, arcade, large area for bike riding, and fishing in the river. Also, Warriors Path state park in kingsport TN is very nice but not alot of campsites.
Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Is Cumberland Mountain and Cumberland Falls State Park the same? We camped at Cumberland Falls and it was just beautiful! The "Little Niagara" is there. Been a number of years ago. We were tent camping. Beautiful place.
I'm not familiar with a Cumberland Falls State Park in Tennessee. Cumberland Mountain SP is not far from Fall Creek Falls SP. Fall Creek Falls has some beautiful waterfalls. There is a Cummins Falls SP and a Burgess Falls SP in Tennessee, although I've never been to either one of those. I've camped at both Fall Creek Falls and Cumberland Mountain, so I can say that they are both very nice. Fall Creek Falls has more hiking and is a bigger park, so that might be a better choice for kids. Both have golf courses and an inn with a restaurant.

Edit: You got my curiosity up, so I did a search for Cumberland Falls SP. It is located in Kentucky, and looks to be a very nice SP. It is called the "Niagara of the South" according to their website. Looks so nice that I may have to take a long weekend up there this summer.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Edit: You got my curiosity up, so I did a search for Cumberland Falls SP. It is located in Kentucky, and looks to be a very nice SP. It is called the "Niagara of the South" according to their website. Looks so nice that I may have to take a long weekend up there this summer.
Sorry. You are correct. We tent camped thru Franklin, Cherokee, Smokie Mtn National Park, then over to Cumberland Falls, and then to Mammoth Cave. The last two are in KY. I still highly recommend Cumberland Falls.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Sorry. You are correct. We tent camped thru Franklin, Cherokee, Smokie Mtn National Park, then over to Cumberland Falls, and then to Mammoth Cave. The last two are in KY. I still highly recommend Cumberland Falls.
We've camped in the Mammoth Cave area a couple of times at a private campground not far off the interstate. Cave Country RV Campground was the name of it. It was one of the cleaner and better maintained private campgrounds I've stayed at. We enjoyed the area, especially the Corvette Museum down in Bowling Green. I think I've stood right over where the sink hole is now. Glad I wasn't standing there when it fell in. Thanks for telling us about Cumberland Falls. I'll have to check it out.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
We've camped in the Mammoth Cave area a couple of times at a private campground not far off the interstate. Cave Country RV Campground was the name of it. It was one of the cleaner and better maintained private campgrounds I've stayed at. We enjoyed the area, especially the Corvette Museum down in Bowling Green. I think I've stood right over where the sink hole is now. Glad I wasn't standing there when it fell in. Thanks for telling us about Cumberland Falls. I'll have to check it out.
Mike, You will love Cumberland Falls. Not far from the TN/KY state line. Beautiful area. I definitely want to go back.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4