Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
New Camper

Airxcel a/c

New newbie here.
We have just taken delivery of our sunset trail ST270BH in Australia and it is great. After the usual minor problems we now only have 2 things not working. The A/C is the most important. There is no power to the control panel. The circuit breaker has been switched on and off several times and all fuses have been checked OK. There is no battery disconnect switch (have checked with the guys who did the conversion) as I understand there needs to be 12v power to the thermostat. When I take off the main power lead everything else that draws from the battery except the a/c and the Jensen entertainment system works.

Any suggestions on where to look next?
clueren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

clueren,

Welcome to the forum. There are good folks here on the forum to help you.

First things first, do you have 12v power when you have shore power? (plugged in to ac power at home). I ask because the Jenson system should work on battery.

When you say "control panel" , do you mean the thermostat to control the ac/heat?

When disconnect shore power and run on battery...turn on all your 12v lights and listen..you should hear the voltage converter fan kick on in the cabinet across from the bathroom.

Can you explain the conversion you had? Your on 230v, right?

I'm sure others will have more questions to solve your problem.

Cheers,

Mark

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Mark,

Answers below to your questions in ().

First things first, do you have 12v power when you have shore power? (plugged in to ac power at home). I ask because the Jenson system should work on battery. (The sound system does not start at all, but when we first plugged in to shore power, 4 20amp fuses blew. The rv ran the slide, awning and lights on battery until we tried the microwave and then the lights dimmed big time. I presume we were running 12v during that time. The battery has been recharged since and is connected. But no luck with the sound system!)

When you say "control panel" , do you mean the thermostat to control the ac/heat? (This is the panel where we select cool/heat, fan speed, etc - there is a display but nothing comes up)

When disconnect shore power and run on battery...turn on all your 12v lights and listen..you should hear the voltage converter fan kick on in the cabinet across from the bathroom. (Yes but that fan comes on when connected to shore power as well)

Can you explain the conversion you had? Your on 230v, right? (Correct, we have the standard breaker/fuse box and a step up transformer to 230v with its own breaker box)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Just to correct one thing---you do not have 230V. Unless things are different in Australia.
Nothing in your coach runs on 230V. It's all 120V. At least in the U.S. it's that way.
Your microwave runs on AC not DC
The fan in the converter will run whether the load is AC or DC. It's for cooling the converter.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,

Australia is standard on 230v since around 2000 and 240 standard previously.

I was asking the question in the way I did because that means Crossroads either swaps out all the 110v appliances and outlets to handle the 230v or the dealers are making mods (adding a step up transformer) which could be the issue.

If everything worked at the dealer, I'd focus on the shore power connection and the step up converter.

Clueren,

If your popping ac breakers, you've probably have a more serious issue than a bad 12v converter. If the fan is running and you have lights, than the converter most likely is working as designed.

Unfortunately with that step-up system, you may need to go back to the dealer. We can't even say for sure you have the same wiring setup as us Yanks here. It sounds like you may have an AC issue and personally I would not mess with AC especially at 230v. Something like an open neutral/Ground or reversed polarity can be dangerous and even at 110v.

We want you around to enjoy your trailer and send us all cool pictures from your travels!

Lloyd's spot on about the 12v. Your microwave and air conditioner is AC. The control panel and Jenson radio is 12 volt, so a bit concerned they're malfunctioning or the fuse is blow for those items.

Sorry I couldnt be much more help, if anyone else out there has an idea please chime in for our new friend across the pond.

Just a quick couple more questions.
Was everything working at the dealer? Did you have a walkthrough before delivery to show everything working?

Cheers

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
New Camper

Just a thought but is it possible your battery is connected backwards (reverse)? This happened to me before.
There is a 2 amp fuse in the thermostat that might have blown also my stereo had to be replaced.
Good luck,

Shane & Stephanie, Sophia & Jane
TT 2014 ST29SS
TV 2013 F150 SCrew Ecoboost 3.73 Max Tow Package
kid Hauler 2009 Mazda 5
Midlife Crisis 2006 Porsche 911 C4S
EighthHussar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The RV stores here sell power monitoring tools that simply plug into an AC outlet in the trailer like the one below:

If you have an RV dealer or shop close, they may sell something like this for the 230v system.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
New Camper

Hi All

Thanks for your input.

The rv was converted to Australian standards in Los Angeles. They included a 230v circuit breaker board because they added an Australian shore plug and power points for us to use Australian appliances like toasters and hot water jugs. The US standard appliances that'd run on 110v are handled through a 110 - 230v step up transformer.

The 110v circuit panel is not tripping out at all, so there does not appear to be an issue there. Everything else is running as it should. The 2amp fuse is still good on the thermostat.

Due to the fact that we have shipped the ST270BH to Australia, we are not able to get it back to the dealer or the converter. Might have to get a local electrician involved in unless someone has somewhere else for me to check?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

clueren,

Wow...that is a far trip back to the dealer! But seriously, if you're on your own at this point you may want to bring in the electrician. I'd still invest in a polarity tester. I plug one in each time I hookup at a campground just in case they have a power problem, I don't damage my trailer.

I found one on ebay that has multiple plugs including the Australia standard.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TESTER-fo...item19f09ceb9e

I would assume you can get one online, mail order, or maybe a hardware store.

Which set of breakers are tripped...the 230v board or 110v board?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
clueren,

Wow...that is a far trip back to the dealer! But seriously, if you're on your own at this point you may want to bring in the electrician. I'd still invest in a polarity tester. I plug one in each time I hookup at a campground just in case they have a power problem, I don't damage my trailer.

I found one on ebay that has multiple plugs including the Australia standard.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TESTER-fo...item19f09ceb9e

I would assume you can get one online, mail order, or maybe a hardware store.

Which set of breakers are tripped...the 230v board or 110v board?
Hi Mark

Yes, I am taking the rv to an electrician Friday and will no doubt find out where the problem is. The place where I got the conversion done think a wire may have come loose during shipping!

None of the breakers have tripped at all, so it is uncertain where I should be looking. It appears to me that the a/c and Jensen simply have no power.

Anyway thanks heaps for your input.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

The A/C system uses small connectors that are used as telephone jacks in the US, I think they are called RJ11 connectors. Anyway, these connect the thermostat to the roof-top A/C unit. But more important, 12V power is delivered to the thermostat from the roof-top A/C using these small connectors and cables. So, if there is no power at the thermostat, it could be this connector is loose at the roof-top unit. At least this is how my Dometic A/C system is set up, hopefully yours is similar.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote