Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

internet

Hi All!

We just purchased a Sunset Trail 34 rk that we keep in storage in Myrtle Beach. Living in WV we plan to get away from the -12 weather here & plan on spending a LOT of time in Myrtle.

To the question-my wide does medical transcription work from home-using hughes.net. The only thing Briercliff has is Wi-Fi, not the best for staying on line for 8 hours at a stretch. Does anyone know of a internet a system that would work from the 5th wheel?
wildbill244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We use to have a hot spot by Verizon that worked well. They have different internet packages. My buddy had the same sort of thing through Att&t that also worked well.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Use a hot spot. Use Verizon.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The mobile hot spots work well. Most of the new smart phones can also be used as a hot spot, so my son tells me. If you are in an area with good reception, the speed is pretty good. If the reception is weak, it can be a little bit frustrating.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you all so much for the "hotspot" info., didn't know they even existed, lol Have already been doing some research on them. We are so rural, they wouldn't work here but sounds like they would be great in Myrtle :-)
I presume you have to be on someones plan?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have Internet to Go which I bought at Walmart. You buy gigabytes on it, much like buying minutes for a cell phone. It is pretty cheap to run. I have used it in many places in the U.S., but there are places where there is no reception. It uses the Sprint Network. A coverage map on their web site shows where it works. Places like Wyoming and Utah don't have a lot of coverage.

Verizon apparently has the most coverage of any provider, but I hear they are notoriously difficult to deal with. I don't know what they charge for mobile WiFi.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

In 10 years I have been to ONE place that I didn't have reception on my verizon service...

I have an old air card that was free when I signed up and while not fast enough to download movies(although I would not want to use ALL my minutes streaming movies - that's what the directv wineguard is for ), it works well ...
Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I'm not sure I understand why wifi is not good for being online for long periods of time. It would be the suggested solution in any case, if it is provided for free. See my latest post in the networking social group on this topic.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
TDG
Seasonal Camper

If you have a smart phone
You can use foxfi. Android or apple then Verizon or att. Does not know you have made your phone a hot spot. So no extra charges just regular data on the phone I have been using it for 2 years on Verizon works great

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Trust me, If you use a Phone Provided " Hot Spot " for 8 hr. a day use, you will be destitute in 3 days. They all operate with various Data Packages, and once you hit your 2Gig(usually the standard) of Data maximum, it gets pricey.....very pricey.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attman6 View Post
Trust me, If you use a Phone Provided " Hot Spot " for 8 hr. a day use, you will be destitute in 3 days. They all operate with various Data Packages, and once you hit your 2Gig(usually the standard) of Data maximum, it gets pricey.....very pricey.

That all depends on what you are downloading and viewing. Any video based data will suck up the gigs. Surfing and music, not so much. I used my Verizon phone based hot spot for a week (about 6-8 hours a day) down Myrtle Beach and barely used a 1.5 gigs of my plan. You can set it up so you can view the amount of data you are using.
I do have 6 gigs a month available, and for the week both my wife and I were using up the data.
If you think you are going to use your smart phone as a hot spot, make sure you have enough gigs available so it doesn't get pricey

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Agreed, The OP had mentioned that his wife does Medical transcription work that often involves an 8 hr. day.....$$$$$$$$$ Large Data Files!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

At many campgrounds, the WiFi provided is slow and flaky, as in goes off and on. This is caused by the campground not providing enough bandwidth and other campers using it to stream movies, etc., thereby hogging the bandwidth. If you need constant internet for 8 hours, you would be hard pressed to get it most of the time.

When we traveled west this fall, we found a huge disparity in WiFi. Some places it was great, fast and always there. Other places you were hard pressed to get anything. We were at KOAs for most of the trip.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

We are away from home so much we use our cell phones (and sat. receiver) both on the road and for home use. We also have a mobile wifi with a dedicated Verizon cell phone # with 5G data only. The hot spot is a Cradlepoint router with a Pantech UML290 USB modem. With the Cradlepoint we can use multiple laptops and a printer anywhere in the RV or the house. I use this setup because the UML290 is one of the few options with an external antenna port for better reception. Since our house is 100% steel and camp sites frequently have poor reception, the antenna certainly helps. On the Cruiser, I use a Wilson Trucker/RV antenna mounted on the roof ladder with a painter's pole so it can be extended 6ft above the roof.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thank you all so much for the info! We have Frontier at home for our land line. Am leaving next week to go down for a few days to check out the unit. Staying at Briercliff in North Myrtle for 3 days. From what I have read, guess I should check with Frontier down there to see if they will bundle the hot spot into my current account? Again, thanks to all for your input

Bill & Jill