Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
New Camper

Thumbs down Can't believe- High Cost Very Poor Quality! 😡

I don't own the hunk of junk anymore. I foolishly bought my fifth wheel from Mid America RV in Mo. after being told it had been sent back to the factory "to be fixed".
I picked my camper up and didn't look at it very well I admit, I foolishly thought - the factory did the work it'll be fine..... HA! After looking through my camper when the excitement had worn off, I started noticing a true lack of craftsmanship or pride in work. I realized the lack of forethought in changing a slide to a cable system, the floor wasn't designed to fully support the large slide and as such began to sag very quickly. When the weather warmed up TWO ACs couldn't keep it cool, checked ductwork and found every opening had holes because the workers drilled through the top of the ductwork. I reworked ductwork (sealed up and added support) and it STILL wouldn't keep it cool. I ended up adding a third AC. Trim falling off in several places, the bedroom slide broke the pedestal supporting the end of the bed the FIRST time I pulled it in, in NO TIME the large slide that was "fixed" by the factory started to pour water in the window frame. I also saw signs of mold. My point is I saw a pattern of just not caring about the quality just get it out the door mentality ! Can't believe I wanted one of these campers, if I had done a search on Rushmore complaints I would NEVER had bought one! I've now gotten rid of the camper (only had it 9 months), did a LOT of research before buying a different brand with a different dealer. This experience has given me a different process to go through when buying Fifthwheel campers Research Research Research! I happily found a dealer with a Very Good reputation and a Manf. That offers a two year warranty & a very good customer service reputation.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
New Camper

The sad thing about these campers are that they are very nice campers if the Manf would just get their quality issues/design issues under control. if they truly want to put out a high end camper then improve these issues. I read posts of constant patterns of the same problems, get a hand on your issues Crossroads
Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I feel your pain. I am currently having lots of issues with my forest river sabre. I'm waiting for the driver to come take it back to the factory for repairs. My crossroads zinger was an excellent trailer though with very few issues. I can say I would not buy a trailer that had already been returned to the factory for repairs. It sounds like your trailer had been returned to the dealership by a previously unhappy owner. The dealership sounds like they were just trying to get rid of the unit. As you are finding a good dealership can make or break your experience. I am very fortunate to currently have a great dealership to handle my issues. I do hope you learned from your mistakes on the pdi and will do a very thorough one in the future..... although even a thorough pdi can miss big issues or so I found out.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Once a company starts down the slippery slope of a death spiral, it is very hard to pull out. It takes a regime change, starting at the very top to change a culture. Just look at GM. Massive lawsuits, massive negative public opinion, the government starting to get their hands into the business, is what it took to expose the "GM nod" and the other descriptors.

Unless upper management, starting at the very top, is serious about regaining their reputation, there will be nothing done. I have worked at and seen some many companies head down this path.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Smile

We have a 2014 Washington that was made at the redwood plant. We are very happy with it. had a few minor problems that I took care of myself.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

there is the problem I am having myself...why should I have to fix things that should not have left the factory...I have done this on my trailer as I know I can do things better than a dealer or the factory and we do not charge...problem? yes it is.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Yes the quality is really poor
I have been working on mine every day since April
It really sucks but I am almost done

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

my NEW St32RL 2015 had a water leak coming from the fresh water hose return and a loose hose at the water pump!…water, water, and by the way WATER EVERYWHERE!….Thor Industriesowned product made me think, "well they own 40% of the industry, it should be GREAT"…..WRONG!…..Crossroads will one day be named something else to erase the bad product quality and name and be replaced by a "new" named company, BUT same
company"!……Just say'in….
Old 11-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

The reason I do the minor stuff such as loose screws and such is I don't want to take it to the dealer and put up with Kansas City traffic.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
TDG
Seasonal Camper

I have to fix everything from broken screws to replace shower doors and worse
We are full time and can't afford to leave it at the dealer for several Months

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Our 2010 was at the beginning of the plunge in quality (in my opinion). The wiring loom on the slide pulled the black tank handle out, and "Randy" told me he doubted it happened. Even after it broke the handle. Of course I got covered one time trying to get the cap off to deal with the remnants of the handle being pulled.

The first year, the screw heads started popping off. The trim piece at the top front that holds the rubber roof down popped up due to the screws. I fixed that and replaced every screw on the outside of the unit (well I have a dozen more to do) with stainless.

They were rusting in that first year also.

The glass panels in the cabinet doors fell out. Luckily I caught the first one. I redid every one and put in mirror clips so they could never fall out again.

One of the pressed wood trim boards starting disintegrating. Luckily I caught that one and had it replaced under warranty.

If a factory cannot install screws correctly and has to use the absolute cheapest Chinese fasteners that they can source, it lets you know the state of the company's commitment to quality.

This will be the last Crossroads product we buy, just like I will never buy another Salem. We got hosed over on that one back when Alcor manufactured some defective axles.

I realize that there is a profit margin that they have to work for and the economy has not helped, but eventually, as I said, it becomes a death spiral and a company, that was once known for its "premier units" simply becomes known as one of the general mish mash, with "Buyer Beware" figuratively imposed on its products.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
Closed Thread