Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Question Fresh Water Tank Issue

My wife and I just returned from a 8 night trip where we visited 2 different state parks. We only had electric hook ups, so we had to of course use the fresh water in our holding tank. I filled the tank to full just like we have many times before on our other trailers (this is the first time filling the tank to full and using it till it was empty since we picked the trailer up in May). The problem we ran into and are wondering if other people have had this issue on their units is that when we got down to about 1/3 of a tank we started getting air in the line. The pump would always shut off after shutting off the faucet so I know I don't have a leak and it wouldn't do it untill it showed 1/3 on the gauge. Our other trailers we were always able to take the tank down to completely empty but this one acts like it is almost empty at the 1/3rd mark. I think I am going to drop the under belly and see where the pump line is connected to the tank to see if that might be the issue. My parents have a 2014 Grand Design and have the same issue. So we are wondering if anyone else has this issue or if it might just be an isolated tank, line or pump issue?

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

The pick up line comes out of the side, about, oh, I guess a quarter of the way up from the bottom. There is no way you can empty your tank without doing this mod on the pickup line.
http://www.gregpaine.com/
Go to # 41 for instructions.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Since the pick up for the fresh water tank is a couple of inches above the bottom of the tank it is a common problem to have a few gallons you can not get to. Some have made the mod to insert a copper pipe bent to lower the pick up point. I was looking for Paynes website both here and google but could not find it. He made a number of mods to his cruiser and shared them with all of us. If someone has the link stored someplace I hope they can share it with you.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd I knew someone would have it
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi View Post
Thanks Lloyd I knew someone would have it
I did this mod shortly after I got the Cruiser. Just wish I would have dropped the bend in the copper tube a little more then what I did.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the link Lloyd! The next time I bring the 5er back to the house from storage I will be checking that my tank is set up the same way. If it is, I will surely be doing this mod. Might even try to do it on the drain side if the drain comes out at the same spot as the pickup does. I like to make sure the tanks are completely empty when I winter it.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Site Team

This is what your tank will probably look like.
This is the tank out of of my trailer. It's sitting on end. The empty hole is for the pick up. The original pick up tube is laying on the tank along with the new copper tube I installed.
The other tube, which is still in the tank, is the drain. As you can see, they are both the same height on the tank.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Just a note if you look at your water tank or pull it out to do the mod. Take a look around for any thing that may rub a hole on the side or bottom of the tank. On my PP had screws that rubbed a hole in the tank.