Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

hi to all on the forum,

been getting our ST ready for a 2500 mile road trip at the end of the month . washed and waxed and new tires ordered . the originals showing signs of dry rot . now my ? to all you good folks is about the ez lube . i would like to know what your thoughts are on lubricating using this method . i saw a video on you tube and i watched and listened twice . they said it would take about a tube per axle . that doesn't sound right to me . said this will flush out the old grease , but what about blowing out the rear seal ?

i have about 8000 miles on the TT. itook the cap and dust gasket off . axle looked full of grease . also , does the grease turn a different color as it ages . right now it is looking very deep, dark red . i heard that as the grease ages it will turn brownish color . any thoughts or comments appreciated
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I get my bearings repacked by hand every year...but I have 60,000 miles on my Cruiser. Even with this I burned out a bearing on our trip last year. Do NOT use the EZ lube fittings. Doit manually.

Edited by: RKamperRV
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

++++2
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Some people get lucky and don't blow out the rear seal using the EZ lube, but to me not worth the risk.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Site Team

I would never consider using them. There is no way of knowing what shape the grease seal is in without pulling the brake drum.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have mine repacked every year by hand. I also would never use the easy lube as you can't see anything. My experience in industry with grease turning a bronish color generally meant it had gotten water in it.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

A tube of grease per axle sounds about right. You have to fill the entire hub cavity to get the grease from theinside bearing to the outside bearing. My advise is DON'T DO IT! I did it a couple of years ago. The grease blew past the rear seal on all the wheels. Three didn't get enough grease into the brake drum to reach the brake pads or drums surface, But one completley contaminated the brakes. That cost me 4 new seals anda set of new brakes for the rear axle. I did a post on it here.

Now I handpack the bearings every 2 years. I put 3-5000 miles on the Cruiser a year.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
New Camper

genes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
New Camper

We left on a cross country trip in Aug. 2011 with our 2011 Patriot 305 SK 5th wheel. We were on highway 70 in Missouri when my outside rear wheel bearing disintegrated. Road service came to our assistance and in 2 days we were back on the road. Mechanic stated that in his opinion it was a defective wheel bearing. Mechanic felt axle should be replaced because of stripped threads. I contacted Lippert factory in Goshen, Indiana and set up an appointment for axle replacement. I was under the impression that I had a 2 year warranty on the axles on my trailer. When I arrived at the factory I was told that I was 4 days over my 1 year date of purchase. The representative told me that since I had greased my bearings myself before my trip and had not had this service done by an "authorized dealer" my warranty was void and I was responsible for $290 for the new axle. This was in addition to the $709 I paid for roadside service. I had pictures showing that the axle was sufficiently packed with grease but it did not make any difference to him. I rereadmy Lippert warranty manual and found where it states bearing grease should be replaced every 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichevercomes first. No where can I find where it states must be done by an "authorized dealer".
Just to make everyone aware to check and recheck the find print before leaving on a trip.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We are new to trailer ownership. We just bought a 2008 31QB cruiser. Going through everything. I pulled all forwheels and found on bearing seal just starting to leak. All the bearing were in good shape but one had a slight brown tint to it so its just starting to show signs of heat. I have owned all sort of utility, boat, and ATV trailers and never thought I would be pulling and repacking bearing every year or so. No doubt in my mind that pumping up using the ez lube is not the right way. You may get away with it this year but that practice will bite you eventually. I ended up replacing all my bearings and races just for a base line being a new owner. I cleaned and stored the best set in my trailer as a spare. Trying to find these oversize beast in the middle of now where is not on my plan. I can find a grease gun anywhere if I need to do a field repair but the bearing may be another story. My RV dealer needed to order them. Nothing in stock.

You have no idea what's going on with the seals, brakes, or bearing if you don't pull the wheels. Its a days work and I like to tinker so IMO it was the right thing to do.

Everyone's time is so limited so why not spend a day now so you never have a problem on the road
mdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
New Camper

im just glad you didnt have to deal with lippert industries. it was a bad taste to end my cross country trip.hope you have better luck.....