Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My 29SS has a fireplace and during my walk through I was told you can't run the fireplace and hot water heater at the same time because it would overload the electrical system. I was so surprised that I couldn't even find the right words to say to the guy or ask him any questions about it. Now that I have had it home for a few days I was wondering if anyone has the same model trailer and if you could run the fireplace while the water heater is running on gas mode??
Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

If you only have 30 amp service in your trailer, that is why they told you that. If that's the case, you can still run your water heater on LP which won't affect your electrical system.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We just bought a 2013 29ss and during the PDI we were told the same thing. This is due to the 30 AMP service. Like the other posted said, both fireplace and water heater will run on LP gas. So just run one on LP and the other on electric
mkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I thought the fire place was strictly electric. When did they start with the LP?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I thought the fire place was strictly electric. When did they start with the LP?

My 2012 fireplace is electric only. The problem I still having is the there is a switch in the main control panel and you either have to have it turned to water heater or fireplace. So even if I wanted to run the water heater on LP adn the fire place on electric I can't be cause the main switch has to be turned to one or the other (water htr or fireplace). Stupidest design I've ever seen. What is the point in putting equipment in that can't be used.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I added an aftermarket fireplace (1500W) and run it all the time with the W/H on AC. Maybe I have been lucky, but in 3 years I have never blown the CB (or outside post CB) and the fireplace has run all night on a few occasions. I don't think the W/H and fireplace (3000W +/- combined) is a problem. Add the microwave or hair dryer or coffee pot to the mix and you may trip something. Could it be that on the new units the fireplace and W/H are on the same 20A Breaker????

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

TNWB,

My 30RE fireplace set up is just like yours. Maybe I can help with your quandary.
If you put the switch on the control panel to fireplace and turn on the LP switch for the hot water heater you will have the ability to use both the fireplace and hot water heater. The hot water heater doesn't need electricity to operate on LP. Once you turn on the LP you will hear the burner fire up. In about 15 minutes you will have hot water. At the same time enjoying the fireplace.
Some times the hot water heater burner doesn't ignite. If this happens it's because there is air in the LP line. If this happens lite a burner on the cook stove and try again. This is normal. We use both all the time in the cool weather seasons. Hopefully this helps clarify how the two can work together.

Happy Camping!!!
Equal-I-Zer Hitch
DW ,Daughter
Millie & Scooter (man's best friends)

Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
TNWB,

My 30RE fireplace set up is just like yours. Maybe I can help with your quandary.
If you put the switch on the control panel to fireplace and turn on the LP switch for the hot water heater you will have the ability to use both the fireplace and hot water heater. The hot water heater doesn't need electricity to operate on LP. Once you turn on the LP you will hear the burner fire up. In about 15 minutes you will have hot water. At the same time enjoying the fireplace.
Some times the hot water heater burner doesn't ignite. If this happens it's because there is air in the LP line. If this happens lite a burner on the cook stove and try again. This is normal. We use both all the time in the cool weather seasons. Hopefully this helps clarify how the two can work together.

Happy Camping!!!

Thanks I will give it a try. We live in Michigan and do alot of camping late into the fall, so I planned on using the fireplace quite a bit. If I have to shut the water heater off to use it that would be worthless.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Thanks I will give it a try. We live in Michigan and do alot of camping late into the fall, so I planned on using the fireplace quite a bit. If I have to shut the water heater off to use it that would be worthless.

Hold on. Think of it this way. The water heater on LP won't use as much gas as you think. It only has to heat and maintain 6 gallons of water unless you are using a LOT of hot water. Do you run 6 gallons of hot water when you run the faucet? Typically not. It's a mix of hot and cold for the temperature you desire. Think of your water heater at home. It typically heats and maintains 40 or 50 gallons of water on gas. It's not pulling strictly hot water from the tank. It's a mix of hot and cold to reach the temp you chose. The typical residential water heater only loses about 1-2 degrees/hour.

Edited by: Indy_Smiths

2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD & Hensley Arrow
Indy_Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Was on a 30 amp service in a state park - tried tried run the Air Cond, HW heater and fridg. Tripped the breaker and ran the HW heater on gas the rest of the stay. Unless you have a 50 amp service trailer you will need to watch the loading.

Take a look at this: http://www.funroads.com/rv-repair/ge...oadmanagement/

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We have a switch in the cabinet by the door. It looks like a light switch you would find in a house. It switches back and forth between the fireplace and the hot water tank on electric. Check to see if you have one, and if so, if it is switched to the right thing.

I don't know how your trailer is set up, but in ours all the switches for the slides, lights, awning, etc. are in one side of the cabinet (right hand door) and this fireplace switch is by itself in the left side of the cabinet.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote