Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
New Camper

Opinions on dealer Layzee Acres in Orillia, Ont.

I'm hearing conflicting opinions about this dealer. Looking at purchasing a 2015 Sunset Trail.
Any feedback would be appreciated. I did a search but many posts are two years old.
Thanks
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

We took delivery our first travel trailer there about a month ago. I think you will get conflicting opinions whenever you ask. I can't reply on service as I haven't gone back for service yet. It's an hour or so away. As a new person buying our first TT, it is an over whelming experience taking delivery. I can't compare with other dealers but setting up the hookup in the gravel, pot hole parking lot left me a little unsettled. Do your homework, ask lots of questions, they have been around awhile so they must be doing something right.
Bilsnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Layzee Acres

They have pretty good pricing. It ends there
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If you are patient you eventually get service requires done.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
New Camper

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr View Post
They have pretty good pricing. It ends there
I spoke to two people that recently purchased a trailer there. They confirmed what you're saying.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have been a customer there for many years. Dealing with the Sale staff, for us it was mainly Thomas, such a great guy and really helpful. After you do your purchase, the only thing I will emphasize is make sure they do a detailed and thorough PDI, this is so important. Take the time during your In-Service to learn all you can about the trailer and ask all you questions.

My only concern is their Parts and Service Department. This year they have had a staffing changes in the offices and this is when things really went down hill. Their service Department absolutely sucks since these staffing changes. Now, as we come to an end of the season, they may have changed, hopefully it has and things are better.

But overall, Layzee Acres is a great dealer and I would still recommend them.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
We have been a customer there for many years. Dealing with the Sale staff, for us it was mainly Thomas, such a great guy and really helpful. After you do your purchase, the only thing I will emphasize is make sure they do a detailed and thorough PDI, this is so important. Take the time during your In-Service to learn all you can about the trailer and ask all you questions.

My only concern is their Parts and Service Department. This year they have had a staffing changes in the offices and this is when things really went down hill. Their service Department absolutely sucks since these staffing changes. Now, as we come to an end of the season, they may have changed, hopefully it has and things are better.

But overall, Layzee Acres is a great dealer and I would still recommend them.
Thanks. What I'm hearing is that the service was good until about a year ago. I spoke to two owners I met in a campground. Neither were impressed with their service. One said they don't return calls, the other said he would never go back there. I won't get into the details but they basically confirmed what you said. "Their service department absolutely sucks." It left me with an uneasy feeling about them. I also did a search and found other complaints. I know they move a lot of product so they won't please everyone. We're currently getting a quote from another dealer but haven't totally ruled them out yet.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

This is so unfortunate. Prior to this year, the service at Layzee Acres have been great.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
This is so unfortunate. Prior to this year, the service at Layzee Acres have been great.
I know they sell a lot of trailers. They're pricing seems good but I want to know that if we have a problem we can get service. I'm not convinced of that at this point.
Price may bring in a customer but good service will keep them.
Haven't ruled them out yet though.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
New Camper

Found several bad reviews so we went with a different dealer.
Found complaints on the BBB website and when I did a Google search. Most people I asked at a campground recently were unhappy although I did find one that was pleased with them. Everyone I asked did say they had very good pricing.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I live far to the south of you, so I have no experience with Layzee Acres. The only advice or opinion I have to offer you is to take their reputation for poor service very seriously. If you have problems with your new camper, and you most likely will, the dealer can make an already aggravating experience much, much worse if they aren't helpful. I would rather pay $2,000.00 more for a camper at a dealership with a solid reputation for good customer service after the sale.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
I live far to the south of you, so I have no experience with Layzee Acres. The only advice or opinion I have to offer you is to take their reputation for poor service very seriously. If you have problems with your new camper, and you most likely will, the dealer can make an already aggravating experience much, much worse if they aren't helpful. I would rather pay $2,000.00 more for a camper at a dealership with a solid reputation for good customer service after the sale.
Mike, I agree with you 100%. We did end up paying a few hundred more but we think it's cheap insurance.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Mike, I agree with you 100%. We did end up paying a few hundred more but we think it's cheap insurance.
Amen to that. Hope you enjoy it and have many happy years with it.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I bought my trailer there in the spring and the entire process was great. It was certainly better than my last truck purchase experience or visit to a Walmart or flight on Air Canada. Friends of ours bought the same unit as ours in the summer from Layzee Acers and had an issue with the water heater not working on electricity. After some back and forth Layzee Acers sent a tech out to repair it while they were camping no charge.

They are a volume dealer so if you need your hand held during the PDI make sure you tell them so they can book more time. Being a volume dealer they sell far more units than they can ever service quickly but this is common with nearly every dealer. A lack of service capacity is not their fault, more a manufacturer problem and during the summer a industry wide problem. We took the savings nearly $3500 and traveled 5 hours to buy from them knowing that we would probably never return. We called Crossroads before buying and they gave me two other dealers who were closer, one less than 30 minutes.

If you do call them talk to Josh, he is a really nice guy who went out of his way to sell us on our unit. He shovelled us a path in the snow when we came up in January. When we went to Sicards they just pointed to the yard and said " I think the door is unlocked, good luck"

One last comment. As with anything on the Internet for every one person who has a bad experience and takes to the Internet to complain there are plenty who have a perfectly acceptable experience and never post anything.

Edit: Layzee Acers was the only dealer to question the towing limits of our truck. Neither Niagara Trailers or Sicards said anything when I told the I had an avalance. Niagara Trailers was trying to sell us a trailer that was nearly 2000lbs over our max.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
I bought my trailer there in the spring and the entire process was great. It was certainly better than my last truck purchase experience or visit to a wallmart of flight on Air Canada. Friends of ours bought the same unit as ours in the summer from the same place and had an issue with the water heater not working on electricity. After some back and forth Layzee Acers sent a tech out to repair it while they were camping.

They are a volume dealer so if you need your hand held during the PDI make sure you tell them so they can book more time. Being a volume dealer they sell far more units than they can ever service quickly but this is common with nearly every dealer. We took the savings and traveled 5 hours to buy from them knowing that we would probably never return. We called Crossroads before buying and they gave me two other dealers who were closer, one less than 30 minutes.

One last comment. As with anything on the Internet for every one person who has a bad experience and takes to the Internet to complain there are plenty who have a perfectly acceptable experience and never post anything.

If you do call them talk to Josh, he is a really nice guy who went out of his way to sell us on our unit. He shovelled us a path in the snow when we came up in January. When we went to Sicards they just pointed to the yard and said " I think the door is unlocked, good luck"
Glad to hear you had a good experience. I honestly wanted to hear more stories like yours. I spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago that is as happy as you and would return.
The first person I asked about them was a very unhappy customer. I spoke to a few more and for the most part got the same feedback. They were happy with the price but not the after sales service. Many I spoke to said they couldn't believe the price they paid compared to other dealers. I agree with you, the internet can be a little misleading. I just wasn't comfortable so we went elsewhere. We finalized the deal a couple of weeks ago. We may have paid a few hundred more. Time will tell if it was a good decision.
Safe travels!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
I'm hearing conflicting opinions about this dealer. Looking at purchasing a 2015 Sunset Trail.
Any feedback would be appreciated. I did a search but many posts are two years old.
Thanks
I have bought from 2014 from them and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I had problems with my 32 foot sunset trail and they out of there way to fix them. I have sent 3 friends to them and they are very happy with the sales and service. I would buy from them again. you treat them right and they will go all the way for you.o and this is the second trailer I bought there.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
New Camper

one thing more I would like to say about Layzee acres the sales staff Josh I was dealing with was very good at checking what you want and need not what he wanted to sell. and with service they have a new girl now and she is the best call her and she is on top of it before I get of the phone. I don't like when a dealer gets a bad rap be cause how they go in with a problem and demand it fixed now. It is a rv and made in the us and it some times takes time to get parts here fast. then they give a bad report. I and other family and friends bought there and we are all happy so check them give them a chance. I have been RVing for 30 years. you get treated how you treat them.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
New Camper

We purchased our trailer (2012, cruiser aire 27rb) from them this early in the spring. The sales process was good, however we had difficulty getting things done prior to picking up. We just dropped off the trailer for them to finish the work that wasn't done and also inspect some other issues after our first season with it. We will update our experience when we pick it up.
M3girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 AM   #20
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
one thing more I would like to say about Layzee acres the sales staff Josh I was dealing with was very good at checking what you want and need not what he wanted to sell. and with service they have a new girl now and she is the best call her and she is on top of it before I get of the phone. I don't like when a dealer gets a bad rap be cause how they go in with a problem and demand it fixed now. It is a rv and made in the us and it some times takes time to get parts here fast. then they give a bad report. I and other family and friends bought there and we are all happy so check them give them a chance. I have been RVing for 30 years. you get treated how you treat them.
Thanks Iceman. Glad to hear you and your fiends had a good experience with them.
For the most part I wasn't getting this kind of feedback when I asked Layzee Acre's customers that I met. The very first person I spoke to had purchased a new Keystone trailer there. He said he would never go back. He had a serious problem with it and ended up getting warranty service done elsewhere. The second person I spoke to said they had a few issues but couldn't get them to return phone calls or emails. The last time I was camping I asked another of their customers about them. He said he would buy his next trailer elsewhere. Like I said before I didn't get all bad reviews. One person I spoke to said he was very happy with them.
I found complaints doing a Google search and checking with the BBB (see links below). When I first checked the BBB there was an open complaint that concerned me a little. It looks like it's resolved now.

https://www.google.ca/#q=layzee+acres&lrd=lrd

http://www.bbb.org/ottawa/business-r...right-on-32970

I know the internet reviews can be a little misleading. That's why I decided to do my own research. I only sampled a few of their customers so maybe I didn't get a true indication of the type of service they provide. I did see enough red flags to cause me concern.
We decided to purchase the trailer elsewhere. Time will tell if it was a good decision.
Thanks everyone for your replies.