Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I got this idea from someone else here but figured I show how I did it. From my blog.

I really like awning lights that hang from the awning. I have some rope lights that give off just enough light to give a nice glow to the patio without attracting bugs. The problem is the can be a pain to take down quickly if you have to retract the awning I got this idea from someone on the Woodalls forums and thought I show you how I did it.

I took two pieces of aluminum angle and cut them about 2" long. I then drilled two 1/8" mounting holes in the aluminum angle and a 5/16" hole in the other leg for the wire attachement point.

I then pop riveted the aluminum angle to the outside of the awning arm. The 2" length is long enough to give a good stable base for the mount. What you have to watch here is the placement. It needs to be high enough so your entrance door will not hit it but low enough so it will not get caught by the awning material when the awning is retracted. For me this was having the wire support hole about 2" below the empty awning roller.

I then purchased 25' of 1/16" stainless cable (I have a 21' awning), a small turnbuckle and a couple of cable clamps. On one end I looped the cable through the turnbuckle eyelet and used the cable clamp to secure it. I then used a Carabiner hook I had laying around on the other end of the turnbuckle and attached it to one of the aluminum angles.

On the other end I just made a loop so the length of the cable was just long enough so I could use another Carabiner on it and hook it to the opposite angle mount. Once both ends are hooked You can then use the turnbuckle to tighten the cable.

I then used tie warps to attache the rope light to the cable. For now I have a couple plastic hooks I use to attach the rope light to the awning arms but am looking for another way to attach them to the arm so they won't get in the way when the awning is retracted.

You can now retract the awning without removing the lights. Nice for when you leave the campsite and want to put the awning up or if it gets windy. Before I pull out of camp I just loosen the turnbuckle, remove the cable with attached rope light and pack it away.

Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Nice job one more mod to do.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have seen this done a few years ago while we were at Edisto Beach, onlydifference was theyused an old trampoline spring instead of the turnbuckle to hold the cable tight. Looks great on your rig.
east_over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Great idea and nicely done. I do think the spring might be an easier method of hooking it up but either should work well. I think I'll be trying this as well, thanks!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I love the idea, just don't know how much space there is over the door. I'm thinking a spring on one end and turnbuckle on the other. The spring maintains tension and the turnbuckle makes it easy to remove.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

It can be tight over the door. What I normally do is retract the awning with the door open. The light will then go above the door. I then take the wire/light and place it on top of the drip rail that is above the door.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

That is awesome !.. SUPER.. Just might have to do that.. Thanks for sharing !

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

HHH it appears as though you get quite a good bit of light from that rope, and it all reflects back down toward the door side of your camper...is that an LED rope light?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote