Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to Susan

Looking at the 32rl model. Is one ac enough to cool this unit? Most places I camp do not have 50 amp service. Any issues I should address? Price? THANKS!
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It depends on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you do your camping on.

In Texas 2 A/C's is considered standard equipment.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

In Indiana you can get by with 1 A/C unit as long as it is a 15,000 BTU. For the months of July and August you have to use dark window coverings or park on a shaded campsite for the 15,000 to keep up but you can get by. As you mentioned, consider the service the parks you camp at offer, it does take 50 amp to run both A/C units.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott
In Indiana you can get by with 1 A/C unit as long as it is a 15,000 BTU. For the months of July and August you have to use dark window coverings or park on a shaded campsite for the 15,000 to keep up but you can get by. As you mentioned, consider the service the parks you camp at offer, it does take 50 amp to run both A/C units.Â*
Careful, I ran both of mine on a 30A circuit. I didn't think it would do it either but it did. I found out by accident when I entered the trailer after getting the outside set up and found the DW had both running. I informed her she couldn't do that and she just looked at me. Ran them over the Labor Day weekend. A couple of caveats though. The BR is a 13,500 and they both operate off the same thermostat which step starts them. At no time did both start up at the same time. The other is we didn't run anything else with both going, especially coffee pot, microwave, HW heater(on 120v) etc. All the high current stuff. Had to turn off one to make coffee.

Just to be sure I wasn't crazy I went home and hooked up to my generator (Yamaha EF4500) and it ran both. It showed about 80% of capacity but did it. YMMV

I would say go with 2 units. If you run the main unit in the daytime and then the bedroom one at night it will work better. On mine the ducted AC (Main) just doesn't do much for the bedroom so normally we run one or the other when on 30A.Edited by: avvidclif
Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott
In Indiana you can get by with 1 A/C unit as long as it is a 15,000 BTU. For the months of July and August you have to use dark window coverings or park on a shaded campsite for the 15,000 to keep up but you can get by. As you mentioned, consider the service the parks you camp at offer, it does take 50 amp to run both A/C units.
Careful, I ran both of mine on a 30A circuit. I didn't think it would do it either but it did. I found out by accident when I entered the trailer after getting the outside set up and found the DW had both running. I informed her she couldn't do that and she just looked at me. Ran them over the Labor Day weekend. A couple of caveats though. The BR is a 13,500 and they both operate off the same thermostat which step starts them. At no time did both start up at the same time. The other is we didn't run anything else with both going, especially coffee pot, microwave, HW heater(on 120v) etc. All the high current stuff. Had to turn off one to make coffee.

Just to be sure I wasn't crazy I went home and hooked up to my generator (Yamaha EF4500) and it ran both. It showed about 80% of capacity but did it. YMMV

Great info to have, I only have one 13,500 in my 30CK. Have thought about changing it to a 15,000 or just adding another 13,500 in the bedroom. Didn't like the idea of a 2nd A/C unit simply because the thought of having to have 50amp service. Like the OP, most of the campgrounds we visit only have 30amp service.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Scott you would have to do some wiring as mine is wired for 50A and each AC has it's own breaker. I was more worried about the pedestal breaker but it didn't pop???? Lucky I guess. Normally we run the main in the daytime and the BR at night....
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have the 32RL travel Trailer ( not the 5er) only have one ac unit and we did camp at Myrtle Beach this year with no issues. We camped there the first week of Aug. so yes it was hot! We do have the larger Ac unit. Hope this helps..