Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I just put a K&N air intake of an 02 GMC 2500 w 6 l gas engine. If I take the plate out that the old air box sat on it give a real good stream of cold air into the intake , but will I get to much water splashing up into the air intake while driving in the rain? What have you'all done ?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Mine is open on the bottom, and I have had no problems with rain or snow. As long as the wheel well liner is still intact, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I would put the blanking plate back. A wet filter attracts dust and dirt thus you will be cleanning your K&N filter more frequently. Why not just leave it stock? Are you one of those people that got attracted by the horse power gains? Take a look at some real charts for comparisons. I was just reading on another forum where dyno tests proved that after market filters hampered HP and torque performance. Afterall, if they were so great why didn't the vehicle manufacture put them in their products? Take a look on the internet and some other forums. There are a lot of options out there to get big HP out of your 6.0l that are realistic but not cheap.I know for a fact that a super charger for your 6.0l setup would cost around 4k and would leave most modified diesels standing still. Thats an extreme measure, but with a simple tuner you could easily get some noticibleperformancegains.Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree with ryeja. There is little to be gained on a gas motor with intake, exhaust and programmer, I know because I have all those on my wife's Dodge Hemi and really gained very little in the way of horsepower and mileage compared to cost. About the only good mods for a gas engine would be a supercharger or turbo and then you start talking big bucks and longevity issues.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olcatonr
I just put a K&N air intake of an 02 GMC 2500 w 6 l gas engine. If I take the plate out that the old air box sat on it give a real good stream of cold air into the intake , but will I get to much water splashing up into the air intake while driving in the rain? What have you'all done ?
Have you looked at the whole system? The amount air your pushing in needs to be pretty close to the amount coming out. Any bottle necks in the system will reduce the natural flow therefore minimizing the true effects of the intake. This could also mean replacing the mass air flow sensor through exhaust.

I looked at replacing the factory intake on my vette, but everything I have read said "up to xx hp gains". Which reads to me as zero to xx gains. The more I read showed a complete system change would yield gains (intake, intake coupler, mass air flow sensor, throttle assembly, manifold, x pipe, exhaust). Even with these changes the gain was about 30hp, which would be hardly noticeable for the expense. Adding HP is expensive and the gain is small.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I guess all of the answers are the reasons that old hotrodders never tinker with there trucks. My truck My money
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

K&N filters will mess up your Mass Air Sensor. Check this out as most GM products do not perform well with the K&N because of the MAS.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I found this topic about air intakes, but it seems to be talking mainly about gas motors. I have been looking into a Banks Ram Air Intake for my 2011 RAM with a Cummins, but was looking for some real world info on if its worth the money. After reading some reviews about half say there is a difference and the other half didn't see any gains and in fact some stated they lost fuel mileage. Just wanted to see if other diesel owners installed a cold air intake and what were your thoughts.
Thanks

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

I installed the Bainks intake, Intercooler, Monster exaust and am using the Automind programmer on my 2010 Ford 6.4l Powerstroke. i noticed improvement in throttle response as well as increase in mileage. I went from 15mpg to 20 mpg highway not towing and I went from 10 to 13 mpg towing once I got everything done. Installation was easy. only took a lttle quality driveway time.

I bought the parts directly from Banks as opposed to a reseller and got good deals. I did not buy it all at once. Buying from them gives you tech support access forever if needed. www.bankspower.com

All of these parts keep your emissions legal in all 50 states. They come with documentation of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) compliance.

Hope this helps.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Can't speak specifically about ram, but acquaintances that have them embarrass us with things like 1200 hp and 2000 lbft from the older common rail engines

the consensus on most ford sites is that the stock filter did a great job up into the 550 or 600 hp range...

Even though I tuned every diesel I've had since 2002,
I haven't done the 2013 cuz it does it's job quite smartly, as is!

Another point is that any tuning will create 'questions' about warranty...
yes, the MM act says you are protected, but when the dealer says no can fix, can u wait until the courts decide your case?

And re banks, glad you are happy with it and that's all that really matters !

but many think their marketing dept is much better than their engineering dept and better products/performance are available for less elsewhere...

do a google search for your truck specific forum, i can gar-ron-tee it's been hashed out there many times
Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

If your worried about water then make sure you get either a very fine filter or a sock for the filter in the kit. I love the sound of an intake kit on a truck, but thats all it really is just sound. I looked into putting one onto my 6.7 but resigned myself to the reality that it doesn't really need and keeping everything stock will always make any warranty claim so much easier.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Thanks for all the replies, after doing some more research and thinking I don't think the money I would spend is worth getting one.

2015stats:
Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

X2 After working for 25 Years at the Donaldson Company in the R&D group I've tested many stock and after market aircleaner systems out there. Unless your pulling max HP a lot and don't care about longevity of your engine then get your After market system.
Lee
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Team

So Lee, In your opinion, what is the best aftermarket air filter.? Is there really a difference between brands??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Lee.....thank you for your response, but when you say "don't care about longevity of your engine" are you saying that cold air intakes are actually bad for diesel motors? or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

2015stats:
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Yes,
Ever heard of a 'dusted turbo' ?

the filters that flow 'dust' with the air ARE bad for any boosted engine...
turbos spinning at 10000 rpm's can be chewed up by dust...
Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Hi guy's I was taking about air cleaner systems which in-could fiber pre oiled and washable filters. From my experience in the lab you could expect both systems OEM and after market have the similar efficiencies but when they load or plug very differently. The OEM paper like pleated or corrugated power core filters they get more efficient as the load. A oiled fiber style is the most efficient when fresh and lose efficiency as it loads. Cold air intake are good and work well when you have a sealed system. Where they have problems is water snow separation problems, When water gets on to any style filter you will dust migration though the barrier filter and in to the engine.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

GM, and possibly the other 2 mgf'ers has(have) a TSB (technical service bulletin) stating if a vehicle comes in with a K&N (or similar oiled filter) they can void your warranty. According to the warranty law regarding aftermarket parts, they have to prove the filter is what caused the issues, but you have to have deep enough pockets to fight them in court and then have them settle at the last moment and fix your vehicle but you will be out the lawyer fees.

I have a copy of the GM TSB on my computer some where, but if you do Google searches on the matter, you should be able to find mention of such.

We bought one back in 2004 when we first got our truck based on my experience from years prior. With the advent of MAF sensors (as mentioned in a prior post), we can assume GM was running into conditions of over oiled filters.

They cannot say you over oiled but he did'nt so they just blanket ban them all.

The folks I dealt with were good enough to simply show me the TSB and not give me a hassle.

I like the Donaldson Blue filter media. Unfortunately it can be hard to get. I have an 06 airbox in my truck and when GM discontinued sourcing the blue media ones from Donaldson, I bought up all the ones left for 150 miles or so, enough to last me until I no longer need my truck (another 15 years or so).

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote