Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

My 2010 Cruiser came with a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet. I assume Crossroads used this model in most if not all of their trailers of that year. Recently the foot flush handle fell of the body. The flush handle is spring loaded and held on to the body by a raised ring on the plastic handle fitting O.D. This ring fits into a detent ring on the I.D of the toilet body (may be hard to visualize). On close inspection the foot flush handle ring is worn to the extent it will not stay on the toilet body. Pressure from the spring pushes it back off after a few flushes. This absolutely should not have failed after 4 years since there are just 2 adults using this trailer, i.e. no kids stomping repeatedly on it.

Now here is the problem. A replacement handle is $75, about half the price of a entire new toilet. Plus there is no guarantee the detent ring on the toilet body is not worn excessively also.

So, while this is a very poor engineered design, for the sake of convenience and economy I'm thinking about going back with a brand new toilet, the same Thetford model. That is unless someone could suggest another make or model. I certainly don't mind spending more for a replacement if a different model or make would offer some advantages. Any help appreciated.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I replaced my orig toilet with an aqua magic V. It has a porcelain bowl and foot flush. Been in for about 5 years now without issue. You can get them at CW (sometimes on sale).
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

AquaMagic V now are plastic. Stick with a china bowl. If I had to replace mine I would keep the Style II or go with an Aria Classic or Aria Deluxe II.

Stan, you may have an AquaMagic Style II if it has a china bowl.Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

OOPS, My bad, it is a Aqua Magic Style Plus (#34430). Sorry for the mis-information.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
AquaMagic V now are plastic. Stick with a china bowl. If I had to replace mine I would keep the Style II or go with an Aria Classic or Aria Deluxe II.

Stan, you may have an AquaMagic Style II if it has a china bowl.
Well, I can see keeping this trailer maybe another 3 years so really can't see spending what the Aria costs. I looked at the Bravura today which is a plastic bowl but very well made. Has a larger base on it and a foot flush that looks like it can be serviced. I know the china bowl is better but not sure the plastic might work as well for me.

I really like my Style II but I'm telling you the foot control lever is a terrible design.

EDIT:
after measuring the distance from the center of the drain flange to the back wall the only Thetford that will fit is the Style II. The Style Plus is 11" from center of flange to back of toilet. My measurement is 11 1/4", leaving one 1/4" to play with. This just seems too close for me. After more research my problem is extremely common as well as many folks having trouble with the foot valve sticking. I can't imagine why Thetford can't fix this problem. Guess I better start looking at Dometic toilets.

Jerry

Edited by: pulpwood007
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Sitting non it for 2 years and all I can tell u.It's porcelain. Need to notice the brand next visit
Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Rushmore; "sitting on it for 2 years" !!!!
Time to get off!
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

2 years !Read a library.